Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #1

Replacing end bunk seals and door

Hello,

I have an older Shamrock. One of the bunk ends has incurred water damage and started to delam. I have purchased a new door and plan to replace it this weekend. However, one thing I am not finding any information on is how to remove the bottom seal that goes between the bed frame and the frame of the body. It is a flat long seal but I can't quite figure out how to remove it and it has to be removed to get to the screws that hold on the door.

Does anyone have instructions or pictures on how to remove this (I would like to re-use it so I would prefer not to damage it).

I am including pictures of the seal to help orient on what I am talking about. The pictures uploaded sideways for some reason, so this is the seal that is horizontal, not vertical. Just tilt your head to the left. haha.

Thank you in advance!

Rae
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shamrock bed seal 1.1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	239939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shamrock bed seal 1.2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	239940  
MsRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #2

I have a 2014 Shamrock and my "seal" does not look like this. I don't believe it is a water seal, but a air pocket seal. Mine does not look like yours which looks like it is a piece of black rubber or vinyl. Mine is a vinyl fabric that is in the same place as that black piece.

I am going o guess that it is merely held in place by that ivory colored piece of aluminum or vinyl and the wooden looking side of the interior of the camper.

I would merely try to pry up on the pieces that hold that black piece down, maybe only pull up on the door side, and either replace or reuse the ivory looking piece. I believe the black piece merely forms a fill between the door hinge and the interior bunk door and is NOT an important rain water seal as such. Does the new bunk door have that ivory looking piece on there?

Hopefully I am looking at the picture correctly...

Here is a picture of my interior bunk seal... the fabric actually, now that I look closely) is the same as the tent fabric... I know they made major changes to the tents in the 2009-2014 time frame, so my bunk end may be different than yours. You can see that my ivory piece is a screwed on piece of metal channel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bunkseal.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	239945  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:42 PM   #3

Thank you. Let me try to get a better picture, the ivory piece is actually the frame to the bunk end (bed door). I'll try getting a picture that is further away for better orientation. The seal is really flat, kind of like flat piece of black rubber (not round or thick like a regular water seal). It may just be an air seal, like you mentioned.

I have included some pictures that hopefully help with orientation a little better. I have tried pulling on it, but it seems pretty tight in there. I will probably try a little more force later if no one has a "secret" to releasing this seal.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shamrock bed with arrows.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	502.1 KB
ID:	239949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shamrock bed inside 1.1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	239950  
MsRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #4

yes your pic with the arrows is what I am also referring to.

Your bunk end pic tells me that your hybrid is older than 2013, with the older style latches and the detachable bunk end. My bunk canvas is attached all the way around.

I would not try to be too gentle with that seal... look at the new bunk end door to see what is there for a seal if anything. A look in a hardware store or HDepot and look for a piece of metal strip that is often used at a flooring edge transition in your home, like at the edge of linoleum or vinyl floor to hardwood should do the trick for you with a replacement piece of vinyl fabric. This would be attached with a series of small short screws into the bunk door.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, door, seal