Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2018, 06:53 PM   #1

Roo 23BDS Bunk End Question

My wife and I are very interested in the 23BDS, but have concerns over the bunk end. When we opened the end on the new unit at the dealer, there were obvious signs of water intrusion. The tent already had mold on it and the actual bunk end was starting to bubble in a few places. Wondering if it just got left open or closed in correctly, we opened several other Roo's on the lot and found very similar issues on each. The new delivery units didn't have the mold or bubbling, but there was obvious signs of leaking.

This isn't our first hybrid, we have had several Jayco's over the years. While we had other issues with the last 2 Jayco's, the bunk ends were always bone dry. I'm assuming this is because Jayco provides a flashing directly above the bunk end to divert water.

We are not thrilled with the idea of have to rig a 23k camper, so has us looking at other brands at this point. We had a 2109S at one point which was an awesome camper, so not sure why Rockwood hasn't figured this out.

Is this a major issue or is it manageable? Otherwise the camper is perfect for us.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:37 PM   #2

yep, my buddy had problems with his hybrid unit. couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
yep, my buddy had problems with his hybrid unit. couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
Had my hybrid for 10 years before I sold it. The tent ends looked almost new and everything still worked perfectly.
Never any tent leaks and we hated to do see it go.
If we hadn't retired, we'd still have it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Had my hybrid for 10 years before I sold it. The tent ends looked almost new and everything still worked perfectly.
Never any tent leaks and we hated to do see it go.
If we hadn't retired, we'd still have it.
Well if you have been on these kinds of forums long enough you should know 10 years or so ago there was a thing called Quality Control in the RV industry. My buddy's problems were just 2 years ago.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:33 AM   #5

And overall we really like the roo so don’t want to knock the quality or anything. We had plenty of problems with our jayco. I think the quality issues are universal at this point.

It would be a simple fix I’m just surprised forest river hasn’t done so. Seems like you could just get a piece of aluminum j channel, paint it to match and then use 2-sided tape or even butyl and a few screws and run it directly over the bunk end.

I just want to know how big of an issue it is for units that haven’t been just sitting on a lot for 6 months with no upkeep.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #6

Quote:
It would be a simple fix I’m just surprised forest river hasn’t done so.
While adding a small diverter channel has been done by many members reporting on here. It is also NOT a problem for many including me. I have three bunk ends, and although during some terrific rains, amybe a cup ow water gets past the seals, (maybe), the water pools harmlessly in the fold of the vinyl tent, and may sit there for quite sometime until released.

The tent ends are vinyl but the two side windows are canvas and will mold easily if left wet for any amount of time.

I live in a humid area of the Ohio River valley and anytime I leave the bunk ends deployed for a week or two, I also get black mold starting to grw on the vinyl tent ends... It just stays wet too long during the hot humid summers here.

Home Mold Armor 2X is my best friend... from Home Depot... black mold disappears in 30 seconds on all surfaces...

If you are seeing de-lamination issues on the bunk end doors, then walk away from that unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2x recent ad.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	187828  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:17 PM   #7

Leak is driving me nuts.

I have a 2013 21ss Roo we bought used in 2017. Love it, but... I have a bunk end leak that fills up the cavity between the interior and exterior metal sheathing around the plywood interior. The water pools in one of the far corners (right side looking from outside) when the bed is deployed. When I raise the bunk to close it, water pours out of bottom corner on the outside and continues draining for some time. I can’t for the life of me figure out how it is getting in unless it is weeping around the canvas where it meets the bunk end metal. There is a plastic rail inside the bunk along the outside wall that finishes off where the canvas is rolled and screwed into the bunk end door.

Anyone had this leak happen and know a possible cure??
gwaltneyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:10 PM   #8

GWALTNEYRA...

I would start a separate thread question... and not hyjack this thread... you have a serious issue that demands immediate attention...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 09-30-2018, 05:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
GWALTNEYRA...

I would start a separate thread question... and not hyjack this thread... you have a serious issue that demands immediate attention...
This was not meant to hijack. I felt it was relavent to the original question about issues with bunk ends on a Roo. I’m hoping my issues help someone who is looking for insight into Roo leaks, and if someone who has had experience with this can help me at the same time, it may help with their decision on whether or not to buy a Roo or other product.
gwaltneyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:45 PM   #10

Quote:
This was not meant to hijack
your call, your issue may be related as far as bunk ends, but is NOT The norm for a ROO... The OP issue was with mold and slight water intrusion into the bunk end... You are saying that water POURS from the bunk end when folded... quite a different issue...but I was only trying to help you... not create a diversion from the OP post...

anyway, the interior bunk end is plywood and exterior is fiberglass not metal, and if water is pouring out when you fold up the bunk end then you have a very serious issue that will cost you a lot to fix... and will get very bad very quickly. as the hinge will begin to fail.. many threads on here if you search about bunk end repairs...

you have a de-lamination issue on the bunk end door if you can see a wave in the exterior fiberglass when the sun shines on that end... and that is allowing the water to soak into the interior and is doing a great deal of damage...

one recent thread on here showed pictures of an owner remove a door peel it apart, dry the interior, rebuild the interior of the bunk end and remount... the other option is too buy a new bunk end door from FR, crated and shipped for maybe $1000???

anyway good luck

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 10-01-2018, 09:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty75 View Post
My wife and I are very interested in the 23BDS, but have concerns over the bunk end. When we opened the end on the new unit at the dealer, there were obvious signs of water intrusion. The tent already had mold on it and the actual bunk end was starting to bubble in a few places. Wondering if it just got left open or closed in correctly, we opened several other Roo's on the lot and found very similar issues on each. The new delivery units didn't have the mold or bubbling, but there was obvious signs of leaking.

This isn't our first hybrid, we have had several Jayco's over the years. While we had other issues with the last 2 Jayco's, the bunk ends were always bone dry. I'm assuming this is because Jayco provides a flashing directly above the bunk end to divert water.

We are not thrilled with the idea of have to rig a 23k camper, so has us looking at other brands at this point. We had a 2109S at one point which was an awesome camper, so not sure why Rockwood hasn't figured this out.

Is this a major issue or is it manageable? Otherwise the camper is perfect for us.

Thanks for your help.
Hi Smitty, I'll let you know how our experience goes.

A buddy just bought a 2017 Roo 19. Both bunks 100% dry even after the multi day dumping we got from Florence. His unit sat on the dealer lot for close to 1.5 years without issue. The one unit I told you abut that had the issue had the tenting sticking out of the seal. The 24WS that CW Charleston had also had water in the fold but it was obviously because the bunk seals had come loose and were dangling. So, what I have seen of new units has not been perfect but explainable and preventable. No mysterious leaks just less than vigilant dealers.

2020 Ford F250 CCSB 4x4 7.3 (Gas) - Sold
2019 Rockwood Roo 23BDS hybrid - Sold
2005 Fleetwood Valor (Sun Valley) Sold
azfansinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #12

Thank all for the information. It was a difficult decision but we ended up with a cougar 22bds. Still like Rockwood products and will have another one at some point.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty75 View Post
Thank all for the information. It was a difficult decision but we ended up with a cougar 22bds. Still like Rockwood products and will have another one at some point.
Congrats and best of luck!

2020 Ford F250 CCSB 4x4 7.3 (Gas) - Sold
2019 Rockwood Roo 23BDS hybrid - Sold
2005 Fleetwood Valor (Sun Valley) Sold
azfansinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:24 PM   #14

gwaltneyra,

Make sure there are no gaps in the top seal when the doors are shut. You need a ladder to see this. If there is a gap or it seems like water may be getting in there, see my video on how to adjust the door. My Roo had a very little gap, confirmed by running a business card in where it should have been sealed...

The latches are very easy to adjust.

https://youtu.be/V5KiNdIBLWM
TexasNightSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:18 PM   #15
Summer2Go

Really good to know! So far I have only gotten water in the front angled bunk, and the water was collected in the roof canvas mostly. It’s usually snow melt or maybe a driving rain is my guess.
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Really good to know! So far I have only gotten water in the front angled bunk, and the water was collected in the roof canvas mostly. It’s usually snow melt or maybe a driving rain is my guess.
A little water pooled is no big deal... de-lamination of the fiberglass, mold on the vinyl and/or canvas bunk ends is another issue entirely.

Read up on the Hybrid Forum from 5 years ago and newer for a good education on Hybrids.

2014 Shamrock 183

Tags
bunk, roo