Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2018, 10:44 AM   #1

Roo 23ss Bathroom Skylight

So quick question. I have a 2008 23ss. I purchased this in excellent condition about a year ago. The previous owner at some point had removed the skylight in the bathroom and placed a piece of reflectant space blanket in there to aid in the climate control in the camper. The problem is that it makes the bathroom very dark even with the lights on. I want to remove the skylight cap from the outside, but have never done such. The cap is very well sealed with self leveling sealant. My question is how difficult is this to get off? and is there anything I should be concerned with in regards to protecting the roof while removing the sealant? I do not see any other way I can get into the skylight

Thanks for your help
fvrs7189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #2

I'm not 100% but I thought my bath skylight had a removable panel from the underside. Might take a look.

m
hybridlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #3

Thanks. I will double check. First looks I did not see any screws, etc to remove the inside portion
Old 03-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
Site Team

Are you talking about the shower skylight?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #5

Yes
Old 03-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #6

It may be a window tint which has an adhesive. the way we remove them at work is with a steamer and a heat gun, or a hair drier. Check an edge and try to slowly peel it away while warming it with a hair dryer.
TTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #7

There is an inner plastic cone in the skylight above the shower. It is held on to the ceiling with white screws, probably about 6 or 8 total, which use a square drive screwdriver. Have a vacuum ready, as some foam debris, insects, etc., will fall into the shower and bathroom. Be careful with the inner skylight cone; it is very thin, delicate, and brittle molded plastic. A replacement unit runs $48 to $140 depending on where you buy it.

You should be able to remove the inner skylight unit, remove the reflective insulation, and replace. You may want to, as I have done, put the reflective insulation cut to fit just around the exterior of the white plastic cone where it is not visable. Affix with strong duct tape so it won't bounce up into your view when you hit bumps in the road.

Do not break the seal or remove the outer skylight. However, double check the dicor lap sealant to make sure there are no cracks developing, and if necessary clean and apply more dicor self-leveling lap sealant.

The upper skylight is supposed to be clear, but gets cloudy with age and sunshine. It can be brought back to new condition on the exterior with an electric drill with a soft buffer (or headlight-kit polisher) and Meguiar's Plastic-X clear plastic cleaner/polish. Regular treatment with the Plastic-X and a micro-fiber towel should keep it clear and new looking.

Good look with your project.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #8

http://www.campingworld.com/skylight...SABEgJiYPD_BwE

Here is a link to the part.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:31 AM   #9

It is not a window film. I see the actual texture of the reflective insulation sitting in the layer between inside membrane and outside

I will look for those screws. Ill let you know what I find.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:02 AM   #10

how about a pic?
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23ss, bathroom, light, roo, skylight