Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2018, 09:24 AM   #1

Sealing bunk ends from water

A while back I saw someone posted a nice method for keeping water out of the bunk ends when not in use. It was PVC pipe with 90 degree pie piece cut from it so it could slip over the top of the seal and so water is channeled either into the gutter or over the front.

I think that's a great idea. I found that I do get small amount of water down in the bunks on our new Shamrock. It doesn't get into the inside or anything, just kind of pools up on the tent material but I don't want it there, that's for sure. Kind of surprising they haven't come up with a better way to seal the top, it's not like this is a new or uncommon problem or like hybrid campers just got invented.

I wasn't really excited about getting PVC and cutting out the section. I'm sure it's not too hard but regardless, I got to thinking about other ways to seal that part. I had some old tubing I used for my home beer brewing setup that looked like they would work perfect. They are 100% silicone and 1/2" ID (inner diameter). I cut a piece to the right length and then cut a slit down the whole tube the long way which is really easy with silicone and a pair of scissors or a knife. Just sort of pull the tube across the blade. Then I just fit the piece of tube over the area that needed to be covered.

The silicone grips the edge and stays in place on its own, even with some really windy days. it doesn't stay on while driving though so you have to remove it before leaving. I didn't have enough for all three bunks so I bought some more but I found some cheaper stuff that was same ID but thinner and that worked OK but didn't grip quite a well so I replaced it with the thicker tubing, which has a 1/8" thickness.

Just an idea for anyone that wanted to cover those bunk ends when not in use and maybe didn't want to mess with PVC. You can get the silicone tube from home brew supply stores locally or on-line. They sell a lot more vinyl tubing and this stuff is less common, used on bigger brew systems where a pump is used so make sure you get 100% silicone. I don't think the vinyl would work well. It's sort of an opaque white color.
shamrocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:48 AM   #2

Post some pics of your mod so others can see how you did it. Sometimes hared to visualize from just the printed work.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #3

Pics of that would really help
Chad G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #4

I just used a garden hose.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd1343 View Post
I just used a garden hose.

Ive got the pvc ones.... Nice thing about them is you don’t have to get up on a ladder to install them. Since they are rigid you start on one end by sliding the pvc into the channel and push it all the way through the channel to the other end.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:47 PM   #6

I used pieces of vinyl siding J-channel. Imagine a J' upside down. The short side goes into the wall drip channel and the long side is over the door.

One of theses days I'll get around to posting pictures of my mods.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #7
CanRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoner View Post
I used pieces of vinyl siding J-channel. Imagine a J' upside down. The short side goes into the wall drip channel and the long side is over the door.

One of theses days I'll get around to posting pictures of my mods.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180521_125136.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	362.5 KB
ID:	173616
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170701_135956.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	173617

Evening we used aluminum flashing from a roofing supply store. I purchased two way tape from an auto body supply shop to adhere the flashing to the top of the bunk end door. It's been two years and no more water when the bunks closed.
Pkostiw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, seal, water