Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2021, 07:34 PM   #1

Suggestions for Bicycle mounts

Looking for suggestions on how people mount bicycles on their Rockwood Roo. We currently have a rear bumper mount however I have to take the bikes off in order to drop the rear bed. It's not a big problem right now however I see it as a major issue once we start travelling more.
I may find that I have to leave them in the back of our truck but looking for other ideas.

Thanks
DVanfossan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:30 PM   #2
Site Team

How many bikes are you talking about? I used a Swagman 2 bike ball mount rack that mounted to the truck step bumper. Had plenty room to turn the Roo.
I have pics of the setup, in my photo gallery here.
I'm not willing to risk my bikes where I can't see them because they aren't cheap bikes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVanfossan View Post
Looking for suggestions on how people mount bicycles on their Rockwood Roo. We currently have a rear bumper mount however I have to take the bikes off in order to drop the rear bed. It's not a big problem right now however I see it as a major issue once we start travelling more.
I may find that I have to leave them in the back of our truck but looking for other ideas.

Thanks
Assuming your truck is a pickup, if you can lay them down in the bed, and have a bed cover of some design......the bikes will be cleaner than if mounted on the rear bumper. Also, until you need/use them.......outta sight, outta mind.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:01 PM   #4

Thanks Dan, sounds interesting but I can't find your photo album.
DVanfossan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:16 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVanfossan View Post
Thanks Dan, sounds interesting but I can't find your photo album.
You have to go to the full website and click on the green bar PHOTOS.
But here's a link to my photos:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/Ph...ser=331&sort=4
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-02-2021, 09:08 PM   #6

Bike rack for 5th wheel

Bikendan: I'm following your thread and I've seen your pictures. Do you think that hitch rack would be low enough that I could carry two bikes and still clear the underside of a 5th wheel trailer? I hate carrying them on the rear of the trailer because the bikes get trashed with dirt and get bounce around too much. I love my bike and do not want it abused like that. Thanks
kermitvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:02 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitvb View Post
Bikendan: I'm following your thread and I've seen your pictures. Do you think that hitch rack would be low enough that I could carry two bikes and still clear the underside of a 5th wheel trailer? I hate carrying them on the rear of the trailer because the bikes get trashed with dirt and get bounce around too much. I love my bike and do not want it abused like that. Thanks
Sorry but no.
You would need a pin box bike rack mount.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:32 PM   #8

Trailer Bike Rack

I had bike rack on trailer bumper and due to the weight and bouncing the square bumper began to bend, the attached pic would be the best option to save room in your pickup bed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	245450  
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:47 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel.mullins4 View Post
I had bike rack on trailer bumper and due to the weight and bouncing the square bumper began to bend, the attached pic would be the best option to save room in your pickup bed
This is what I consider the best choice for a travel trailer:

https://www.campingworld.com/the-bik...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-04-2021, 10:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
This is what I consider the best choice for a travel trailer:

https://www.campingworld.com/the-bik...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Agreed.
I modified mine and got it 16"+ closer to the camper. I could stand to shorten it, but laziness is king.....

https://i.imgur.com/WYoxx1r.jpg
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:04 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

My trailer came equipped with the Jack it rack that straddles the power jack. After fine tuning it, I like it. I have tried to put bikes on it/off it by myself, it's a bit of struggle. Now I back pickup up to the rack, and have wife on ground hand bikes up to me as I stand on tailgate. From there I rack them. The system keeps bikes very secure in transit, plus it's nice to just be able to glance through back window of pickup and see bikes are fine. Ours holds 2 bikes. Obviously, adds to tongue weight, if that's a concern you should know.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
My trailer came equipped with the Jack it rack that straddles the power jack. After fine tuning it, I like it. I have tried to put bikes on it/off it by myself, it's a bit of struggle. Now I back pickup up to the rack, and have wife on ground hand bikes up to me as I stand on tailgate. From there I rack them. The system keeps bikes very secure in transit, plus it's nice to just be able to glance through back window of pickup and see bikes are fine. Ours holds 2 bikes. Obviously, adds to tongue weight, if that's a concern you should know.
Doesn't the jack-it swivel down?

On mine (picture above) I stand on the tongue and squeeze the jack with my knees. Or stand on the tailgate.....
Old 01-05-2021, 11:26 AM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

Jackit does not swivel down. I was looking at pic of yours, and although I like how it mounts to frame, I was wondering how the mounting system works. I like the Jackit because it has cradles that slip through the upper part of each wheel, AND has pegs you can position for bottom of wheels to sit on. Rubber 'latches' complete the tie down. No chance for the front wheel to move to and fro, or pedals to move, possibly scratching the front wall of camper. Also, there are foam sleeves to protect the bike frames from touching the adjoining bike or the rack itself, preventing any rubbing damage in transit.

If I stood on the tongue trying to hold a bike, I guarantee I would slip and that front Jack would become a battering ram on the way down, lol.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Jackit does not swivel down. I was looking at pic of yours, and although I like how it mounts to frame, I was wondering how the mounting system works. I like the Jackit because it has cradles that slip through the upper part of each wheel, AND has pegs you can position for bottom of wheels to sit on. Rubber 'latches' complete the tie down. No chance for the front wheel to move to and fro, or pedals to move, possibly scratching the front wall of camper. Also, there are foam sleeves to protect the bike frames from touching the adjoining bike or the rack itself, preventing any rubbing damage in transit.

If I stood on the tongue trying to hold a bike, I guarantee I would slip and that front Jack would become a battering ram on the way down, lol.
Probably hard to see, but it clamps on the top bar. It's simple and I like it. Guessing you wouldn't, based on what you have.

https://i.imgur.com/QyZXotz.jpg?1

This is it..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009NUG7U...p_mob_ap_share

I went to straight pipes, vs the curved ones the bike bunk came with. Then I welded some pipe, 1.625" o.d. perhaps, on the top cross beam to eliminate the 2" receiver bit. Note vs the first picture. Plus the distance the pipe bends push it forward.

https://i.imgur.com/F6D5C87.jpg?1
Old 01-05-2021, 10:58 PM   #15

This thread has been interesting.

I just built a 2" receiver to go across the rear of my trailer under the Lippert bumper on our Rockwood Roo 23BDS. It's well braced and bolts through the frame with 1/2" Grade 8 bolts. It's not going anywhere.

However, the Yakima bike rack (frame mount), even though it has the locking bolt to stabilize the rack, loosens up after a couple hours of driving since the rack can wiggle up and down a little bit. Once it loosens up you can really see the motion though the rear camera. My thoughts were to add some bottom and side bolts with jam nuts on the receiver to prevent this motion. (Or possibly a hitch tightener)

Pros:
I believe I have enough tongue weight to offset the weight of the bikes.
My intent was to wrap the bikes in a tarp to keep them from getting covered in crap.
I have a rearview camera with which I can see the bikes.
The receiver only cost the price of some hardware, a can of spray paint and an afternoon of work.
Out of the slipstream (such as it is)

Cons:
Removes some tongue weight. Too much?
Rough ride even with Dexter torsion axles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3633.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	245551   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3634.jpg
Views:	85