Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2015, 10:10 AM   #1

Tent ends up or down?

At a public campground and we are going to be away from the campground for several hours. Would you close the tent ends or leave them open?
1st timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Close them
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:10 PM   #3

Do you mean completely closing them up? Or closing the "windows" on the tent ends?
kmalcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #4

I leave mine open and zip it up
Hicks43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #5

If you feel a need to completely close the the bunk ends for security reasons I'd look for a different campground.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:24 AM   #6
Site Team

Sorry I miss read your post.
I thought you meant several days.
So no, leave them open.
I would close the windows up just in case of a curious passersby.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #7

Bunk ends....I'm with CNY Camper...
Windows....If its nice weather and not running AC, we may leave them open a few inches at the top....
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #8
2016 Shamrock 183 Hybrid

Most of the practices each of us may take to protect our valuables; whether it be locking the car while shoping, or closing up an RV; are designed "to keep the honest folk honest."

Anyone who is intent on stealing, knows how to break into your car or RV, by forcing a door, or cutting through canvas material (that's why I never lock my convertible Miata - just it's console compartment).

When we leave camp for extended time, our thoughts are more on unexpected rain showers.....we zip up the bunk ends facing prevailing winds tightly - the opposite sides we leave open slightly at the side or top.....maintaining privacy, but keeping things aired out. Since our roof vents have rain covers, they are left open.

That said, one of the many advantages of polite introductions to your campground neighbors is that they will more likely take note of your comings and goings and "watch your camp" while you are gone.

Don't leave that mink coat on the clothes line, put a tarp over the gold-plated gas generator behind your RV, and use that bike lock on your diamond encrusted carbon fiber framed bicycle.....do what's prudent not to tempt someone to "accidently borrow" something.

Other than that.....go....have fun....trust that the most honest, nicest folks are the ones who go out camping.

Like another post suggested....if you find yourself at the campground where "bad biker gangs" (not the clubs) crash and drink; cause it's handy to the sand flats, and you feel threatened by their presence......then just maybe you'll be happier if you move on down the road......just saying.

My 2 cents worth.

Peace/out
sparty047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #9

I agree with what mostly has been said. And also agree...if you feel like you need to close up your bunks just to go out a few hours then you need to find a different campground. Other than a few tent campers you may see....most folks camping have invested good money in their own RVs and are there to have fun and enjoy the outdoors just like everybody else. I know there are exceptions to everything in life but most thieves are not gonna be pulling up beside you in a $10k - $75k investment looking to steal from their neighbors. I like one quote in this thread "to keep the honest folk honest." And that's what you do. I will usually just lock my camper door, put away my solar panel kit and I'm good.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
2015 Flagstaff Shamrock 21DK -sold
2016 Grey Wolf 29BH
skidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #10

I like this post. We are more worried about the weather. We always talk with other campers/ranger to get feel for the campgroungs. I found out if there is some funny things going on it will be told and people will be watching. My saying" a lock is for an honest man". Campgrounds/campers are a different community/people, l love it.
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #11
2016 Shamrock 183 Hybrid

Put away my solar panel kit!!! "What you saying Willis?!"

Oh crap!
I have not quite completed the control board for my solar, but.
Will be moving batteries and mount controller board in a back compartment that runs side to side and came with both an outside access and inside access (less tongue weight).
Because we camp in the shade here in Michigan, I intend to deploy the solar panel where there's a "sunny spot" rather than attach it rooftop.

Do you think I will need to collapse it and store it every time we leave the camp? Really!
sparty047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparty047 View Post
Oh crap!
I have not quite completed the control board for my solar, but.
Will be moving batteries and mount controller board in a back compartment that runs side to side and came with both an outside access and inside access (less tongue weight).
Because we camp in the shade here in Michigan, I intend to deploy the solar panel where there's a "sunny spot" rather than attach it rooftop.

Do you think I will need to collapse it and store it every time we leave the camp? Really!
It takes approximately 6 minutes to close tent ends? Less to open them. REALLY! So it was just an informational question. This was our 1st camp trip when the campground was full. Everybody I've met at any campground has been very friendly and helpful. I left the ends open this past weekend. But I did put my mountain bike in the trailer and locked it! left the wife and kids bikes out unlocked.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #13

It's true that while camping you have to leave your stuff out. No way around that. For the most part we all have good experiences. If you feel the need to lock up a trailer - any design - remember the actual fact is that it's not that secure and the locks can all be defeated in less than 15 seconds by someone who knows how. If people can get into a house or steal a car getting into a trailer is simple. Be smart when you pick your spots. Smile and wave at your neighbors. Enjoy your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
CDNWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:53 PM   #14

Not for nothing but I was just wonder if people close the tents. I have owned this roo for 3 months never had another camper before. To be honest have not run across another hybrid in a campground. I trust people! I believe that most people in a campground are trust worthy and genuinely nice people there for the same reasons I am. As far a weather goes if it's going to rain I'll close them every time. Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #15

When we had a HTT we zipped the windows shut and locked the door. Never had a problem.
2013 RAM 2500 CTD
2018 Prime Time Crusader 319RKT
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote