Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprovenzano View Post
Just ordered led lights for a full conversion. 12 volt converter for CPAP will be delivered tomorrow. Looking forward to managing power and water consumption.
What's the wattage on the CPAP? I just saw some good deals on Li-ion battery packs with built in converters on Amazon daily deals. $100 bought a 42 amp hour pack that would put out 100 watts continuous 110V, or $200 bought a 60 amp hour that could run 250 watts continuous. Then you could just run the CPAP at 110 without the 12v converter and without connecting to the camper battery. A $110 solar panel would probably fully recharge the pack during the daytime. This was the $200 one, but the deal has ended for now
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075NDLG64...073J61T3Y&th=1
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #22
Trailer Park Supervisor

Before I ordered the RV, I would tent camp with my CPAP connected to a marine battery, connected directly via the 12 volt cord. Running through any kind of converter is inefficient. Marine battery at Tractor Supply was under a hundred dollars. Bought a cheap battery box on Amazon to hold it and my cords. Could camp all weekend and then some and still not go below 50% capacity. Kept it topped off with a 16W solar panel during the day.

When not camping, I keep the battery on a tender by my night stand for emergency power outages. Never have to fire up a generator overnight, just change power cords and snooze away!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #23
Trailer Park Supervisor

Hersbird, that's a nice lightweight battery, but i noticed it will only run a 40W appliance for about 5.5 hours (the one that was 200 dollars). Another benefit to the marine battery: I've had it over 5 years, and keeping it on smart charger it runs like new. I don't know how long these other batteries are supposed to last.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to eprovenzano Send a message via MSN to eprovenzano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
What's the wattage on the CPAP? I just saw some good deals on Li-ion battery packs with built in converters on Amazon daily deals. $100 bought a 42 amp hour pack that would put out 100 watts continuous 110V, or $200 bought a 60 amp hour that could run 250 watts continuous. Then you could just run the CPAP at 110 without the 12v converter and without connecting to the camper battery. A $110 solar panel would probably fully recharge the pack during the daytime. This was the $200 one, but the deal has ended for now
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075NDLG64...073J61T3Y&th=1
Good question... unfortunately I don't know the answer... Also the 12 volt cord did not fit my machine... So back it went... I'm looking at different power cords, as well as adding a 12 volt outlet near the bunk.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #25
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'm going to be adding a 12volt socket to my bed area too. When I bought my 12v cord, the website was very particular about which Philips Respironics I had, they make 2 different cords for it. They sent me the right cord the 1st time fortunately. They make two different cords with 2 different barrel connector sizes apparently.

If I recall, the AC to DC brick on mine is 80W. I turn off humidifier and heated hose when I run on battery, anything heated eats up battery fast.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #26

They don’t make it easy on us do they. ��
Old 10-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #27

Received 2nd 12 volt converter... again it does not work with my machine. I'm going to use a small 12 volt to 110 converter. Not want I wanted, but I need to make it work.

I converted all the lights to LED... simple job. I found a few of the incandescent bulbs had gotten pretty hot. One had melted the plug for the light and deformed it to the point that I cannot replace the light. I was amazed as to how hot the incandescent lights got.

Next is to add a 12 volt outlet near the bunk so I can use the converter with my CPAP machine.

All this while the season is winding down...
Old 10-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #28
Trailer Park Supervisor

Which brand CPAP do you have? If you need to use inverter, I would suggest a pure sine wave inverter, not the cheapo ones. CPAP is expensive and that's some electronics you don't want to damage.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #29
Trailer Park Supervisor

I ordered mine from The CPAP Shop online, 37.50 including shipping. They made sure I got the right cord the first time.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #30

It's a VPAP S, I was told a S9 converter would work, nope, then a S8, again nope. I have used a 12 volt to 110 in the past, but I was just trying to go straight 12 volt, and eliminate the converter.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #31
Trailer Park Supervisor

Not familiar with the ResMed products. As I said, had good luck with the CPAP shop online. Might try calling them see what they say, make sure whatever part # is not the same as the bad parts you have! You are right by trying to NOT go through inverter, it will be easier on your batts.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:33 AM   #32

Li-on have 3000-5000 charge cycles in them compared to 300-500 on a lead acid deep cycle, so they will go 10 times as long.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
That's also known as "boondocking". We have an entire sub-forum here dedicated to it. Check it out here:

Boondocking - Forest River Forums
I just love it when someone calls it "Primitive Camping" with an $$$$$$ RV unit!!!

The state parks I have been to, primitive camping is sleeping on the ground. They have signs directing you to the area. You have to hike in.

It's not also known as Boondocking. Boondocking is in an RV with no hookups. Primitive Camping is with bare essentials.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post

It's not also known as Boondocking. Boondocking is in an RV with no hookups. Primitive Camping is with bare essentials.
cavie, Dry Camping is camping in developed campgrounds that have have designated campsites but no hookups.
Boondocking is camping in undeveloped areas that have no assigned campsites, like deserts, parking and National Forests. Basically being in the Boondocks, away from people.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
cavie, Dry Camping is camping in developed campgrounds that have have designated campsites but no hookups.
Boondocking is camping in undeveloped areas that have no assigned campsites, like deserts, parking and National Forests. Basically being in the Boondocks, away from people.
My point being Primitive camping is not done in an RV.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:02 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Meh, it's semantics really.

I know of one campground that has a bunch of regular campsites, but also has an island with a few dozen campsites on it. None of them have any hookups, but there is a small bridge you can drive over to get to the island.

It's used mostly by tent campers but I have seen a few small trailers there over the years. They even label the sites as "primitive sites" on their rate sheets.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:02 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
I agree with that.
But some people new to the lifestyle, aren't acquainted with RV terms.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:04 PM   #38

For my 2 cents the issue is the condition of the roadways. If say u have a solar panel or two and no need for air-conditioning but the roads are smooth and non ruttee and the turning radius is suitable then as long as there is a RV dump somewhere it's all good but as soon as the roadways are marginal or worse then that becomes the limiting factor in the wisdom of going there.
marcfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:12 PM   #39

If you really like privacy and out of the way campgrounds with no hookups and no amenities than dry camping is for you. We have really enjoyed seeing places and camping in places with no hook ups. Most USFS campgrounds and National parks do not have hookups. We have 2 batteries and a solar panel suitcase but if you will camp alot in the Pacific northwest you may need a generator. Best hands down app for public campgrounds is Ultimate Campgrounds or UC. They have not let us down yet, having taken 3, 4mo. cross country camping trips. It costs a few dollars but well worth it and updated continuously. I can't say enough about this app, BUT it does not include private campgrounds.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:30 AM   #40

To us primitive camping is like staying in a motel with no pool or air with a bw tv and a rotary phone
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping