Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to eprovenzano Send a message via MSN to eprovenzano
Thoughts after a 1,300 mile week long trip

We just returned from a week long a trip to 1,300 mile trip to Lakewood Campground in Myrtle Beach SC. Just a few thoughts / lessons learned

1.) We've been to Lakewood Campground before and knew what to expect... It's a great family oriented campground. When we booked the trip, I requested a shaded site. I could have been next to the ocean, but opted to camp under shade... great move, the temp difference was significant. The A/C had no issues keeping the inside at a comfortable temp. No PUGS or tent end covering needed. I installed reflex and rubber matting under the beds, no condensation under the beds. In fact, we didn't have any condensation issues at all.

2.) Note to self... Install an outlet from the battery to plug in a converter to run a CPAP machine. We split up the drive a bit by stopping at a rest stop. We turtled in the HTT to catch some rest to make the drive a little easier. I need to use a CPAP machine, but without power I was out of luck...

3.) Put down a tarp before putting down outdoor rug. I saw a little trick to help deal with the sand... many were putting down a tarp prior to putting down their outdoor rug. The tarp keeps the sand / dirt from making its way into the rug. Our outdoor rug was due to be replaced, and after a week in the sand, it didn't make the trip home....

4.) In the campground, my neighbor replaced 4 tires as he had a blowout 2 miles before the campground... This got me thinking as I saw several trailers that were nose high, or nose low putting undue pressure on the front or rear tires. I'm wondering if the incorrect leveling of the trailer could be the cause of a blowout...

5.) I recently installed a Camp Pro WIFI system. It worked really well. Although it will only be as fast at the WIFI it's connected to. Overall I'm very happy with the unit.

6.) This was the 1st time we actually used the shower in the camper. My wife used it a few times. While it's not roomy, it is just large enough for her...

7.) I usually carry two 25' fresh water hoses... this is the 1st time I had to use both to be able to connect to the water hookup.

8.) Having an outdoor shower to wash off things was great. While I've used it in the past, it really came in handy when dealing with trying to wash the sand off.

9.) Looking at all the large TT / MH / 5'ers got me thinking was I missing something... nope... My HTT is just the right size for my needs. It has plenty of room, all the amenities I need, in a camper size I can manage.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #2

Lakewood

We love this campground and have been going every summer for about 10 years. Plenty of stuff to keep the kids busy without leaving the campground. Never thought about the tarp under the mat. Will have to try that in July when we go.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:50 PM   #3
Always Learning

For #2, I had to plug an inverter into the truck’s 12v supply and then run an extension cord back to my camper for quite a while until we were all setup better. It wasn’t great but worked quite a few times.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #4

I felt like you were talking about us! We just returned from Lakewood too. 900 Miles one way. I agree with it all and we were 8 spots off the beach at the first set of trees. Had to buy a second water hose to make the distance but a great campground on the beach.
agsmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to eprovenzano Send a message via MSN to eprovenzano
Lakewood is such a nice campground. It’s a resort that you really don’t need to leave . It’s been a long time since we’ve been there, we’ll be back
Old 07-19-2018, 06:30 PM   #6

We have stayed at a campground in Siesta Key on the beach and they used raised wood, slotted platforms outside every camper door to keep the sand out. Best I can describe is somewhat like a skid but smaller. I have been thinking about making something similar but with the ability to roll up.
calhounsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:39 PM   #7

Just returned from Vacation @ Lakewood RV Resort and many changes since our last visit.
1) Updated gift shop and store which was very nice.
2) Use to be "Free" for extra visitor vehicle @ site but now $5 per nite and $10 per nite for 3rd vehicle to be parked in overflow lot.
3) Use to be "Free" for tent to be setup @ site but now $10 per nite as well.
Just way over priced seems to me!! And I now!! Dont go if you dont like it!!! Bring lots of $$$ if you wanna go there!!!
auroraRNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:51 PM   #8

Quote:
4.) In the campground, my neighbor replaced 4 tires as he had a blowout 2 miles before the campground... This got me thinking as I saw several trailers that were nose high, or nose low putting undue pressure on the front or rear tires. I'm wondering if the incorrect leveling of the trailer could be the cause of a blowout...
You probably have Dexter torsion axles so being high or low with the nose of the trailer has very little to do with the tire loading at least on your hybrid...

If your CPAP is 12 VDC rather than 120 VAC, then make yourself an adapter plug to use the 1/4" phono plug that powers the fan/light above the bunk or you can buy a 10 foot extension from the cig plug 12 VDC by the TV and plug CPAP into that.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
You probably have Dexter torsion axles so being high or low with the nose of the trailer has very little to do with the tire loading at least on your hybrid...
You sure about that? The Torflex axles are independent suspension with no equalizer to spread the load when not level. I would think the leaf-sprung suspensions with equalizers would be fine being off-level and the Torflex axles would want to be level so that they are both flexed equally under load.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:30 PM   #10

Quote:
You sure about that?
No I am not sure about it, but TIRE LOADING differences on uneven ground or off-level? How much difference can there be in practice?

I would suspect quite a bit of difference when hitting a pothole... but static loading? related to tire blowouts?

Quote:
I'm wondering if the incorrect leveling of the trailer could be the cause of a blowout...
I am comfortable with my original post...

PLEASE SEE POST #13 before replying to this...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 07-31-2018, 03:49 PM   #11

Quote:
No I am not sure about it, but TIRE LOADING differences on uneven ground or off-level? How much difference can there be in practice?

I would suspect quite a bit of difference when hitting a pothole... but static loading? related to tire blowouts?

OP wasn't clear on whether his observation of nose hi/low was as trailers were rolling in/out or on the road, or as parked. I wouldn't expect to notice excessive hi/low of parked rigs - a bit but not significant. Rig wouldn't be comfortable to walk in. I regularly have mine a bit off, just to get AC water dripping where I want it to. He did say the concern was triggered by tire failures before getting to the park.

So my comment - if he is talking about while rolling, then yes being more than an inch or so nose hi/low is a significant contributor to tire failures.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:58 PM   #12

Quote:

Static, parked trailers wouldn't be my concern with tire loading and the trailer not being level in relation to the tires/axles. My statement was more about tire loading in general with Torflex axles and your statement making sense for leaf-sprung suspension but not Torflex since the load is not shared across axles as there is no equalizer. So, parked or rolling down the road the trailers with Torflex axles, like mine, are going to put more load on the axle that is on the "down" side.

This is actually presented as a "positive" thing in certain aspects as you can drive one tire up a ramp or onto a block to lift the other tire off the ground if you need to change the tire and don't have a jack.

If a trailer with Torflex axles is nose high or low then one of the axles and pairs of tires will be seeing more of a load than the other. If it's not extreme then not a big deal, but I've seen some VERY nose high/low trailers rolling down the road, not sure if they had Torflex axles or not but if they did and the tires on one of the axles were overloaded then experiencing 2 blowouts on the same axle isn't unreasonable.

Quote:
That's fine, I just think the impact depends on a number of factors and what doesn't cause a failure on one trailer may cause a failure on another.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:57 PM   #13

Back-track

When I read OP original post I thought OP was talking about parked trailers and I thought about AC usage and getting the condensate to drip off the rear of the trailer roof... hence I thought they were talking about parked trailers... MY MISTAKE... Yes, un-level towed trailers are a different issue on tire loading...

too bad those owners do not read this forum and correct their towing error!

2014 Shamrock 183