Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle for 233s

Hello All,
I'm new to the Forum, but I have been reading a lot on this site. All good information.

I currently own a 2005 R-Vision 21RBH that we are considering selling and purchasing a new(er) Roo 233S or Shamrock 233S.

My current camper is ~3000 pounds and we tow it with a 2006 Lexus GX470 with an equalizer hitch and have had no problems. It has the 4.7L V8.

The towing capacity of the vehicle is 6500 pounds and looking at the 233S models, I think I would be pushing the limits with my vehicle.

I looked at a Shamrock 233s last weekend and the dry weight was 4503 on the yellow sticker and that kind of set me back considering that it is only 2000 pounds away from my max towing weight.

I know the rule of thumb is up to 80% to be safe and by my estimates I would only have about 500 pounds under my max tow weight considering the family and gear, including bikes.

I appreciate feedback on this. I don't want to buy a 233s and find out I can't tow it with my vehicle. I will have to consider ones without the slide to keep the weight down.

Thanks
Redriver5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #2

Probably not going to be able to tow with your Lexus. It has been hashed out here many times by people in similar situations. You are better to upgrade your vehicle first unless you will be leaving it at a seasonal site you can have it delivered to. You will be maxing out your payload.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #3

The 233s will put upwards of 700lbs on your hitch. Your WDH will help with some of that but I don't think you will have enough payload capacity to carry that weight. Pulling the weight of trailer is also a concern!
PhotoDj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome redriver! PhotoDj's point about the payload capacity is really important with an SUV like yours (or mine). Take the payload cap less people and cargo, pets, and extra mods to your truck and that is what you are left with for the tongue weight.

What is the payload?

As for the towing cap, you might be fine depending where you tow (flatlands or mountains).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #5

I was also wondering about my payload. So the hitch weight goes towards the payload? If a WDH is used, how much hitch weight can you distribute from your total payload capacity? My vehicle has a maximum payload of only 1,215 lbs. If I include two passengers and cargo weight, I am at around 600lbs. Doing the math I am left with a tongue weight of only 615 lbs? I may also need to upgrade my TV.
JWHybrid2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Tow Vehicle for 233s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHybrid2B View Post
I was also wondering about my payload. So the hitch weight goes towards the payload? If a WDH is used, how much hitch weight can you distribute from your total payload capacity? My vehicle has a maximum payload of only 1,215 lbs. If I include two passengers and cargo weight, I am at around 600lbs. Doing the math I am left with a tongue weight of only 615 lbs? I may also need to upgrade my TV.

You are right that engaging the WDH will effect how much your TV's payload is reduced.

It's often safe to assume it doesn't though in just the same way that it is safer to assume the 80% of max trailer weight rating guideline when looking to tow, but the short answer is up to a roughly estimated 1/3 of the tongue weight will be transferred to the trailer's axles while 2/3 will be on the truck's front and rear axles (with most of that on the rear axle).

The math for calculating the effect of the WDH on payload would be something like this if you want to be accurate and take the safest approach...

First, plan to travel to your local CAT scale and weigh your vehicle with you, your family, all the cargo you plan to take and a full tank of gas. Subtract this number from your truck's GVWR. The difference is the payload you have remaining for your tongue weight. This is the "true" payload remaining because it accounts for the reality of your situation. Don't use the truck's stickered payload number if you care to be accurate.

Now, take your "fully loaded" camper (with WDH attached) to the CAT scale, disconnect and weigh the tongue (or use a Sherline scale to measure your tongue weight). Up to 1/3 of that tongue weight is generally transferred to the trailer leaving 2/3 of the TW that you need to subtract from your payload.

However, if you have the time, it would now be best to weigh the TV/TT combo so you can get the three axles weighed at the CAT scale. Remember to weigh your fully loaded truck (you, family, cargo, full tank of gas, etc) and your fully loaded camper so you might do this heading out on a trip. Depending on your TV/TT setup AND how you adjusted the WDH, you will find that the amount transferred to the trailer's axles will vary. 1/3 is a rough estimate. It could be much less.

Hope this helps.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 03-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
You are right that the WDH will effect payload.

It's often safe to assume it doesn't though in just the same way that it is safer to assume the 80% of max trailer weight rating guideline when looking to tow, but the short answer is up to a roughly estimated 1/3 of the tongue weight will be transferred to the trailer's axles while 2/3 will be on the truck's front and rear axles (with most of that on the rear axle).

The math for calculating the effect of the WDH on payload would be something like this if you want to be accurate and take the safest approach...

First, plan to travel to your local CAT scale and weigh your vehicle with you, your family, all the cargo you plan to take and a full tank of gas. Subtract this number from your truck's GVWR. The difference is the payload you have remaining for your tongue weight. This is the "true" payload remaining because it accounts for the reality of your situation. Don't use the truck's stickered payload number if you care to be accurate.

Now, take your "fully loaded" camper (with WDH attached) to the CAT scale, disconnect and weigh the tongue (or use a Sherline scale to measure your tongue weight). Up to 1/3 of that tongue weight is generally transferred to the trailer leaving 2/3 of the TW that you need to subtract from your payload.

However, if you have the time, it would now be best to weigh the TV/TT combo so you can get the three axles weighed at the CAT scale. Remember to weigh your fully loaded truck (you, family, cargo, full tank of gas, etc) and your fully loaded camper so you might do this heading out on a trip. Depending on your TV/TT setup AND how you adjusted the WDH, you will find that the amount transferred to the trailer's axles will vary. 1/3 is a rough estimate. It could be much less.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. I haven't purchased the Hybrid yet as I am still researching to ensure I will have enough towing capacity for my TV. I have weighed my TV on a CAT scale and weighed in at 4,880 lbs. I didn't weigh each axle as I just basically pulled up on one scale. My total GVWR is only 5,710 lbs, but I haven't loaded my TV or included a second passenger. I have a 7,000 lb towing capacity from my TV. Assuming I go with the 23SS or the 23IKSS, it will be around 5,000 lbs. I also have to include the WDH in the payload capacity, but unsure how much extra weight one weighs. I may need to drop down to a 19' Hybrid due to the weight capacity on the 23' models, but I want the extra slide the 19' unit doesn't have. How does your Sequoia pull your Hybrid? I may upgrade to that type of Toyota as I love my 4Runner.
JWHybrid2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

My Sequoia does a very nice job with our 233S! I'd recommend it to a family looking for a large SUV.

There is one item I read in your post that needs just a little correction. Actually, the weight of the WDH is not included in the truck's payload but is a part of the total weight of the trailer (because its attached to the trailer, you see). Its the Tongue Weight, which is a ratio of between 10-15% of the total weight of the trailer (that just happens to also include the weight of the WDH) that is included in the payload.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 04-29-2014, 07:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
There is one item I read in your post that needs just a little correction. Actually, the weight of the WDH is not included in the truck's payload but is a part of the total weight of the trailer (because its attached to the trailer, you see).
The WDH is tongue weight, no? Whether you consider it part of the trailer or part of the tow vehicle, it seems that it would still be part of the TV payload and rear GAWR.

Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL
Former pop-up owner
Hybrid owner wannabe

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
... it would still be part of the TV payload and rear GAWR.

Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL
Former pop-up owner
Hybrid owner wannabe
Kind of, but ...

Only a fraction of it would be considered part of the truck's payload and also against the RGAWR.

The weight of the WDH equipment attached to the A-frame is included in the trailer weight; similar to adding a second battery, full propane tanks or bike rack onto the A-frame would add to the weight of the trailer.

100% of those items are not part of the payload; only a fraction. So, the recommendation is to have between 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight as your tongue weight. That number is subtracted from your truck's available payload.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 05-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #11

We had a GMC Jimmy that my husband foolishly thought would be big enough for our 23ikss, but after much research, we upgraded to a Nissan Titan, V-8. Better to be safe than sorry.

Lynn in Michigan
lakemominmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #12

We have a 2015 Roo 233s and we just purchased a 2012 dodge durango citadel with the hemi 5.7l V8. It pulls great ( mileage sucks 9-11mpg).

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
t0rnado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s, tow vehicle