Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #1

Want to buy (water leaks?)

I joined this forum to ask questions about the shamrock 233s I'm interested in. But now I'm wondering if it's the right choice because of all the water leak talk on the hybrid forum. I currently own a jayco 17a hybrid and have spent some time on that forum in the last year or two, however I don't remember seeing so much discussion about leaks and water damage. Has anyone compared the design of the forestriver products to other brands, is there that much deference between door designs. If this is mostly a storage issue I my still be in luck as my current storage lot is indoors, but that could change.
kdunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #2
Site Team

You have fallen victim to what many do, when reading posts on a RV forum.
the majority of those visiting RV forums, are there to find help with issues/problems with their RV.
very rarely does someone post: "aren't I lucky that I haven't had any problems with my RV!"

So you're looking at things through a very skewed lens.

We've owned our Roo for over 8 years and never had any leaks, except for driving through heavy rains a couple of times. Even then it was only a little bit that was easily wiped up with a rag.
but won't see me starting a post bragging about it.
remember, most people post when things are going wrong.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:35 PM   #3

I understand people like to complain but we're are those people at in the other forum that I mentioned.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Do a search on RV.net's Hybrid forum and you'll see that all brands of hybrids have ones that leak, even Jayco.
but I doubt that many here know anything about Jayco's seal system, since this is a FR forum.
It's been a while since last looked at the Jayco setup, but I did think it was slightly better but not enough to pay the much higher price of the Jayco.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #5

I have a 2014 shamrock 183. I have only had since last May but have not had any water leak issues. I store under a cover except front bunk sticks out a bit. I do plan on using the PVC pipe trick to seal the top seal as discussed on this forum.
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #6

I've been watching our new 2015 Shamrock 233s since noticing the threads on water damage but I have not seen any in mine since we got it last July. There was a small amount of water that came in during our first night at home during a very heavy storm but none since. We store ours outside without a cover or any of the pvc or garden hose mods over the bunk ends..... so far. I'm hoping FR has fixed this problem on newer TTs.
Nights Camped: NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!
Glindz233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:05 AM   #7

I have a Shamrock 21ss, the only leak I had was found after I bought it used.
It was the filter canister not tightened enough, the floor around it became soft.
Fixed it myself by ripping out the damaged floor and putting in new found at Rona.
I will be moving the canister outside, a better location as inside it's hard to see a leak (in storage area under the bed). Love the trailer though.
TinkerToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:25 AM   #8

Kdunk I have been doing the same research and share the concerns. While I agree the percentage of issues on a forum is much higher than reality, I also know there are many more issues in the hybrid thread than other types.

Having said that, I think the pros of shorter length, lighter weight and open ends will lead me to just take extra precautions and take a chance. It definitely gives reason for pause.

I do have a feeling the forest river complaints seem more widespread simply because there are more of them out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:09 AM   #9

I was a little freaked out about this as well but, we purchased a 233s last year and made it through the worst storm of the year without a drop of water. We did condition the seems with water from a hose before we camped. So much more space and lighter to pull, it was a no brainier for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
t0rnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #10

I've had my 2014 233s since last May and have had some leaking occur in my rear bunk. Brought it back to my dealer who changed out the locking linkages but still found water inside after hard rains (I'm surprised there isn't adjustment in these linkages). Not a ton of water, but enough that it needs to be fixed. In the spring my dealer agreed to install new seals which we hope will fix the leaking. In the mean time I made the PVC caps for all my bunks and its under a cover for the winter months. I agree with Bikerdan that by design, folding bunks aren't perfect and any system could leak. I had 2 pop ups prior to my Roo and each had slight leak issues, especially in hard rains. Just something I accept and keep a watchful eye on.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
2014 Runaway Navigator
2013 GMC Yukon XL
husky family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:23 AM   #11

Thank you all for you input. I had a chance to go to an RV show last week and look at the different hybrids. Let me start by saying that the roos and shamrocks seem to offer the best value for the money and I may buy one. That being said I feel that they would certainly be more likely to leak than say coachmen/jayco hybrids. It seems to me that the seals are exposed to the elements even when closed. On the others the seals are on the inside and there is a rain gutter above the top opening to keep water off the top seal.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #12

As I think I mentioned earlier I do get to store my camper inside so I would only have to worry about leaks while traveling.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #13

I do agree with you that the older latch systems like the ones used on other manufacturers seem a lot better to me. Like you I can store inside so crossing my fingers it is a non-issue.
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak