Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2010, 01:00 PM   #1

Water dripping from Tent ends

We just got back from camping this weekend, i was a cold one where we had alot of snow, The tent ends started to drip water, On the outside of the tent ends look like they are vinyl. the snow was covering the ends. would the water leak through, since the camper is new and i did not crack open any vents or windows i was getting condesation, so the question is if i had the proper ventalation would the wet snow or rain soak through the ends.
Kevin
TF-Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #2

I read that it is to be expected to have some water infiltration with a brand new unit - that the thread used - once wet - will swell and plug all the needle holes.

That could be what you experienced. I hope.

I have a new Shamrock - and have not yet experienced rain...

Regards,

Denis
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:34 PM   #3

Have anybdy tried those pop-up gimzos that cover the ends, i was wondering how well they work and how much trouble are they putting on
Kevin
Old 05-31-2010, 05:00 PM   #4

I have purchased a set - high wind model and have just received them a few weeks ago.

Many do use them and swear they do a good job:
- Help keep cool in hot weather
- Help keep warm in cold weather
- Protects the tent from bird c**p anb tree sap
- Darkens the tent area for a better sleep (for some)

You simply need to slide them on the top as far as you can and clip them all along the edge - I tried them on for fit and it's easy.

The super high wind models has bungie cord - but I did not care for the look that much.

I am sure other will chime in with similar comments. Have a look at Hybrid Forum for more comments

Regards,

Denis
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #5

We have used the Gizmos from our PUP to our HTT. I think they do a pretty god job as they are advertised. I especially like that they keep the tent ends pretty clean. Also the company that makes and sells them is a good company to do business with, you will be satisfied.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:55 PM   #6

I use to have a Shamrock and I found that in cold weather we got condensation in the tent ends. Try to keep the zipper open a bit in cooler weather and also crack the roof vent. The more moisture that you vent out the less dripping you will have inside. Now we upgraded to a Rockwood 2902SS, so we don't worry too much about condensation.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:58 PM   #7
Site Team

the canvas/vinyl isn't leaking, it's condensation.

did you have PopupGizmos or solar blankets on top of the tent ends?
we were in Yosemite, last month, and it snowed on us. our first camping trip with snow, ever.
we didn't keep the vents open and air moving. condensation is worse when you've got snow on top of the canvas. it makes the temp of the canvas much lower and with heat on inside, you'll get condensation. we did and even after getting air moving, it took quite awhile to dry out.

since i have never camped with snow on my bunk ends, i don't know if there's any way to prevent condensation if other than not turning the heat on.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #8

Definitly condensation, tent material currently used is treated and does not need to swell to seal, keeping the snow swept off will help, but not completely eliminate the problem, opening your roof vents will be your best defense, also if you have ventilation fans would help
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #9

We have been hybrid camping for over 6 years and love it but we DID go out and buy the solar "bubble" wrap at the local hardware store and made our own tent bed covers that work GREAT....we love our AC and we have never had water in our bunk ends !! It also helps keep the bunks warm in the cold and cool in the heat.... CHeap fix to condensation !! We use aligator clips to keep the solar wrap on (not glamorous but does a great job.) Inexpensive to try .... you will not regret it !
llarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:38 AM   #10

I believe that the ends where leaking because of the condensation that was building up, it was so cols outside with snow, and i didn't think of opening up the ends a bit for air cirulation, We had alot of rain this past week and my ends were set up, and it was dry as a bone in there, I did buy a set of pop-up gimzo's i haven't had a chance to try them yet. Since the trailer is only 6 months old i am still learning
Kevin
Old 07-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #11

We did not camp in the snow , but the 1st few times we camped it rained and we did not vent enough so we got alot of condensation from the roof leaking down.

We did have an issue around the seams of the tent end of water seeping in. Called FR and they said we need to get the tent end wet and allow the threads to swell and seal the holes. Did this a few times of letting the unit sit open in the rain and lightly wetting the tent ends with the hose and slowly drying. This sealed the thread holes. I was under the assumption that it should be water tight from the start. I guess this is why most dealers leave their units set up on the lot so the rain will naturally seal the tent ends.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #12

One cold night last month we woke up to our bunk ends so full of condensation that it was raining on us inside our camper!
Since then we always run the bunk fans if the weather is cold or the air conditioner is on. Since then we have had no "rain" inside the camper.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by double trouble View Post
We did not camp in the snow , but the 1st few times we camped it rained and we did not vent enough so we got alot of condensation from the roof leaking down.

We did have an issue around the seams of the tent end of water seeping in. Called FR and they said we need to get the tent end wet and allow the threads to swell and seal the holes. Did this a few times of letting the unit sit open in the rain and lightly wetting the tent ends with the hose and slowly drying. This sealed the thread holes. I was under the assumption that it should be water tight from the start. I guess this is why most dealers leave their units set up on the lot so the rain will naturally seal the tent ends.
this is also true with new popups. we had 2 popups over 17 years and both owner's manuals stated this process.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shamrock