Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #1

Question Wetness under bunks - Forest River's response?

If this is a double post, I apologize. I thought I posted it a week ago but don't see it here.

We have a 2007 Shamrock expandable. No problem hauling it in the rain. Our problem comes from sleeping on the bunks in cool weather. In the morning, we have a great deal of water between the bunk and the mattress. I understand this is a problem with mattresses that are cloth on the bottom, as opposed to vinyl. One of our bunks is wavy because of it. It seems to me this is a design flaw. Has anyone heard of Forest River standing behind their product by replacing the mattresses (with vinyl) and the damaged bunk ends?
dkitzerow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #2

What did Forest River say?

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkitzerow View Post
If this is a double post, I apologize. I thought I posted it a week ago but don't see it here.
Yes, it was posted earlier. And, you had replies to it.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...able-8253.html
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:43 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pansy22 View Post
Forest River says: "Each Sunseeker Class C motorhome from Forest River offers increased spaciousness with 7ft high ceilings that offer more headroom than the competition.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #5

We have a Surveyor that would condensate like crazy on the humid or cool Indiana nights. We finally, broke down and purchased bunk end covers from popupgizmos.com. Since then we have had no condensation, and the bunks they keep the bunks darker and cooler. Don't know if this helps or not, but it has worked for us.
cstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
Site Team

we've found that the PUGs don't help the condensation UNDER the mattress. inside the canvas, yes.

i recently read a post that 3/4" insulation foam may work. going to find some and try it.

using Reflectix and a wool blanket under the mattress has reduced the condensation for us.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #7

What exactly is Reflectix?

I have the same issue with condensation and will quite often take the mattress out to let it dry out. We also have a problem where the vinyl gets very wet inside from condensation as we tend to get a lot of cooler nights compared to warmer days early and late in the season. I was thinking of getting some underlay that you use for laminate flooring, there is a special type that you use in damp locations such as bathrooms or on concrete floors such as basements and cutting it to the size of the bunk. It has like a foil type plastic on one side and I believe is meant to reflect the heat one way and cold the other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
we've found that the PUGs don't help the condensation UNDER the mattress. inside the canvas, yes.

i recently read a post that 3/4" insulation foam may work. going to find some and try it.

using Reflectix and a wool blanket under the mattress has reduced the condensation for us.
rockin'ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #8

Reflectix
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #9

Thanks NWJEEPER, i picked up a roll at Home Depot yesterday. I could only get a roll 4 feet wide, so I plan to cut two pieces and tape them together to make a piece for our queen bunk. I don't think I will have enough to do our double bunk but we have only used it once when my dad came to visit this summer and we took him on a 4 day trip to PEI. We mainly use it for storage as it is too high up for our greyhounds to jump up and use as a bed, besides they like our bed much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
rockin'ray is offline   Reply With Quote