Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #61

Tent camping, Mt. Marcy NY, 10 degrees. Oddly, the worst issue was not the cold but moisture from breath freezing on the inside of the tent then melting and dripping. Just like an rv, moisture in a confined environment can be unpleasant.
tps28ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:04 PM   #62

Back in the early 80's my brother-in-law and I decided that since the weather forecast was for a low of 20 degrees (F), we would go into the UP of Michigan with our snowmobiles and go camping. We woke to -20 (F) and the sleds did not want to start. Our 1976 OMC sleds were nothing like a modern sled.
We got a fire started, warmed up a bunch of rocks that we put in the engine compartment and eventually got one sled running and directed the exhaust into the engine compartment of the other sled along with hot rocks and got that one running.

We got to the parking area as the rescue team arrived because our wives called in that we were late. Everyone was glad that they didn't have to go looking for us. They thought that they were doing a recovery, not a rescue.

With a modern TT, we camped at 5 degrees (F) during deer hunting now 3 years in a row. All dry camping.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:34 PM   #63

I would say that more than counts.
Bramic71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:56 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicoll View Post
“When propane is exposed to extreme heat and extreme cold the pressure in your tank gets higher with heat and lower with cold. Propane tanks can freeze up while in use. ... In very cold conditions, there may not be enough vapor pressure in your tank to keep your system/appliance working properly.Oct 4, 2017“
This is important especially when you may fill your tanks in a warmer areas or lower altitudes. We had the issue in Colorado a couple of years ago. Temperatures were only in the low 20s F, but both our tanks filled in the summer in Texas stopped providing pressure while still about 1/2 full. It turns out there is a substantial amount of butane in LPG sold in many places in Texas. Once the tanks go below freezing, the butane won't gas, so it never leaves the tank.

David & Elise
Windjammer 3001W
RAM 3500 SRW
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:02 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less is More View Post
Boot camp bivouac. 5 days with a high of 0. Or doesn't that type of camping count?
That counts. I spent a week "camping" in a shelter half in January, in the snow, with wind chills in the single digits and actual temps in the 20s at Fort Riley, Kansas. They issued "Artic" gear that mostly worked! "If you are going to be one, be a Big Red 1". It was with 2/16th Infantry.

David & Elise
Windjammer 3001W
RAM 3500 SRW
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:57 AM   #66

I have often camped at -1 degree Celsius. Good sleeping bag and one or two blankets, double pants, shirt, sweater and jacket (possibly down jacket). If you equip yourself properly and put on the right things, it will be rather warm. And I usually put on a hat since most of the body heat is lost through the head…but I know people who have done camping when it was freezing cold outside… at minus 20 degrees I prefer staying at home. ;-)
forestbrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #67
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_reaves View Post
That counts. I spent a week "camping" in a shelter half in January, in the snow, with wind chills in the single digits and actual temps in the 20s at Fort Riley, Kansas. They issued "Artic" gear that mostly worked! "If you are going to be one, be a Big Red 1". It was with 2/16th Infantry.
Try at Ft Carson at -40, at least we had a tent with M1940 Potbelly Stove and used JP4 as fuel. Diesel was nothing but a smelly mess, once in a while we threw some 5.56 blanks to blow the soot. We tried with a 7.62 blank and shot the spark supressor out. JP4 can turn that stove cherry red if you are not careful.
KnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:02 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnP View Post
Try at Ft Carson at -40, at least we had a tent with M1940 Potbelly Stove and used JP4 as fuel. Diesel was nothing but a smelly mess, once in a while we threw some 5.56 blanks to blow the soot. We tried with a 7.62 blank and shot the spark supressor out. JP4 can turn that stove cherry red if you are not careful.
When I was in Germany during my Army days we ended up "camping" in weather just barely cold enough to freeze the mud. For heat in the tent we had a "Herman-Nelson" heater. Because it burned gasoline for heat we had to keep one person awake at night for "fire watch". Most just decided it was easier to just bundle up and shut off the heater.

As for the "stink" of diesel, my company was attached to a mechanized unit and with all the diesel powered vehicles running at all hours we lived under a cloud of diesel exhaust 24/7. We got used to it and the only time it was noticeable was when you returned to duty after leave, breathing clean air for a week or two.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:05 PM   #69
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestbrun View Post
And I usually put on a hat since most of the body heat is lost through the head…
That's an old urban legend based on a bad study. You don't lose any more heat through your head than you do the rest of your body.

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/26/h...your-head.html
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:09 PM   #70
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
When I was in Germany during my Army days we ended up "camping" in weather just barely cold enough to freeze the mud. For heat in the tent we had a "Herman-Nelson" heater. Because it burned gasoline for heat we had to keep one person awake at night for "fire watch". Most just decided it was easier to just bundle up and shut off the heater.

As for the "stink" of diesel, my company was attached to a mechanized unit and with all the diesel powered vehicles running at all hours we lived under a cloud of diesel exhaust 24/7. We got used to it and the only time it was noticeable was when you returned to duty after leave, breathing clean air for a week or two.
Sounds like Korea in the winter while they burn Yeontan (Coal/Diesel Bricks) for their Ondol heaters. Anywhere you go smell like burnt Deisel, specialy in Seoul.

Anyway... after a good while, pulled from the Motor Pull a 60K and ran electric heaters and lights. That was a treat, no fire guard and Top happy brewing his coffee.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
That's an old urban legend based on a bad study. You don't lose any more heat through your head than you do the rest of your body.

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/26/h...your-head.html
Try and convince a bald guy of this. My Son could double for Mr Clean (no earing though) and grabs a knit cap when the temp's drop below 60 degrees

Old 12-17-2020, 12:22 PM   #72

Cross Country skiing from Adirondack Lodge to the top of Mount Marcy in February 1998 for 3 nights of camping.... -26F. The Park Police and Park Rangers were very nervous and brought us firewood. There was already some on site waiting for us. We made them coffee, hot chocolate and s’mores (of course!).
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:25 PM   #73
KnP

Is true to an extend.

The head loose a lot of heat due to the concentration of blood vessels. The neck loose a lot of heat due to the size (volume) of blood vessels feeding the brain. Is about 40% of the heat is lost that way.

A hood and a scarf does wonders. Then goes your hands and feet, they loose heat rather quick, they act like fins on an aircooled engine.

Have anybody seen people wearing shorts in the winter with nothing more than a Hat, Scarf, Jacket/Vest, Gloves and Boots
Old 12-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #74
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Try and convince a bald guy of this. My Son could double for Mr Clean (no earing though) and grabs a knit cap when the temp's drop below 60 degrees
Of course any exposed skin is going to feel cold. It'd be the same if your arms, hands, legs or feet were exposed while the rest of your body is covered up.

Being bald probably does make it a little more noticeable though.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:32 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Being bald probably does make it a little more noticeable though.
He's also the first to notice it's raining

Old 12-17-2020, 12:35 PM   #76
Site Team

Quote:
Is true to an extend.

The head loose a lot of heat due to the concentration of blood vessels. The neck loose a lot of heat due to the size (volume) of blood vessels feeding the brain. Is about 40% of the heat is lost that way.

A hood and a scarf does wonders. Then goes your hands and feet, they loose heat rather quick, they act like fins on an aircooled engine.

Have anybody seen people wearing shorts in the winter with nothing more than a Hat, Scarf, Jacket/Vest, Gloves and Boots
No it's really not. Heat loss from your body is proportionate to the surface area of the unprotected area. Your head is about 10% of your body. So the heat loss with just your head uncovered is going to be around 10%.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:38 PM   #77
KnP

Some idiots got drunk in Korea, shaved their heads. Next couple of days they were doing a daily on an aircraft if freezing weather without a hat. They got frostbite and to make matters worse, not all the skin got frostbitten, was on random areas and the hair quit growing. Hair grew on random patches
Old 12-17-2020, 12:46 PM   #78

Quote:
Some idiots got drunk in Korea, shaved their heads. Next couple of days they were doing a daily on an aircraft if freezing weather without a hat. They got frostbite and to make matters worse, not all the skin got frostbitten, was on random areas and the hair quit growing. Hair grew on random patches
The price one often pays for stupid acts

Old 12-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #79

Quote:

Almost every winter day in the Pacific Northwest

Old 12-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #80
KnP

Heck, saw some girls in Colorado at a ski resort walking around like that. It comes to mind... women are always hot, they seems to have a beef with the thermostat