Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2020, 08:50 PM   #41

Cold camping

"Turtled' in my Shamrock 19 last weekend ( Oct 15 - 18 ) in northern Wisconsin.....temp got down to high 20's at night - mid 40's during the day..( and some snow!) ...used water from my onboard tank....drained the low point drains at night..kept the furnace set no lower than 65 and opened all the cabinet doors before going to bed at night....no water problems.....when I got home on Sunday I winterized the system with antifreeze...no more trips planned this year......I've never camped in this kind of weather before, but the other folks I camped with talked me into it.....dressed warm and burned a lot of firewood..was an adventure!...might do it again next year.....battery got a work out with the furnace usage, but had a generator along for recharging.....might bring a second battery if I do it again ......I read several places that water would need 24 hours of sub freezing temps at actually freeze.....was sceptical, but it worked out for me.....
Ernim031759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:23 PM   #42

bikendan,

The page display for some -- those of us working on small handheld devices for instance -- doesn't show which specific subsection a post is in. The display is more constrained, not as full featured as on a full sized computer or even a laptop.

Hence posts that may not be as directly applicable as one might like.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:36 PM   #43

That sounds rough.
Bramic71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:13 PM   #44
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
bikendan,

The page display for some -- those of us working on small handheld devices for instance -- doesn't show which specific subsection a post is in. The display is more constrained, not as full featured as on a full sized computer or even a laptop.

Hence posts that may not be as directly applicable as one might like.

Rich Phillips
I will often click on a topic in the recent post list and not pay attention to what sub forum it leads to.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:57 PM   #45

We've tented into single digits, and have had our Mini-Lite 2504S TT on trips into the high teens with high wind. We blow out all the lines and use blue water totes. When we're in a campground, using a few small ceramic heaters, strategically plugged into different circuits helped save propane. We kept one in the bathroom, with the sink cabinet door open since the outside shower plumbing is right there.
Be careful of snow load on canvas. We get heavy "Sierra Cement" so if its snowing we'd have to head out every hour or so to clear it off.

One tip: find out which directions the winds are coming from and park your Hybrid to block that direction as much as possible if you can. For a short trip, you don't need full skirting, but blocking a cold wind's free entry under your camper will help keep you warm. We use cardboard, totes(empty or full), and whatever else we can to help block the wind, especially since we don't have an enclosed/insulated underbelly.

Our kids decided they like 'cold weather' camping, so I'm looking to add some insulation and heat tape for the pipes until we can swap for a 4-seasons unit.
Baumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:02 AM   #46

Sep 2007, Salcha River, Alaska. Moose hunting
Tent camping about 100 miles upstream of where the Salcha spills into the Tanana river. 4 adults including me. No kids thank God.

Woke up one morning and it was -16deg outside. I was in a Cabela's tent, inside a 40 year old Northface down sleeping bag and believe it or not I was just fine. When I sat up on my cot, there were sheets of ice breaking and falling off my sleeping bag. I Got a buddy heater going inside the tent without really even leaving my sleeping bag. Once I heard the tent top and sides dripping from ice melt I knew the tent was at least 40 or so. That's when I finally got out and got dressed.

We managed to get the air boat started that day, but the steering rudders were frozen in one direction. We had to wait for water to heat up in a kettle over our camp fire, then use that warm water on a rag and drape it over the steering cable tubes to free up the rudders.

I was only 25 and still had that "thing" that always told me, this isn't bad, there's no danger, you'll get out of this, what do ya got to lose anyway. Looking back it was pretty damn scary and dangerous. For a morning we were almost frozen in place, 100 miles from civilization. Not a road, or power line or fence in any direction for 100 miles.
matemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:24 AM   #47
Long time camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Ummm... propane doesn't freeze until about -300° so it wouldn't have been gelling. It does boil at -44° so the lamp would have helped the liquid boil and make gas at your -52°.
The propane doesn’t freeze. BUT, the water vapor in the gas freezes in the regulator. Best to keep it warm with an incandescent bulb a lower temps.
Samtummo
samTummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:25 AM   #48

Cold weather and canvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Lund View Post
About to take a trip around the country and we will be hitting some areas in the 30s. Whats the coldest you have camped in your hybrid?
We had a Wilderness Hybrid and had used it in quite cold weather. The biggest problem was condensation on the canvas. Dripped on the beds and the furnace ran almost constantly. Between the noise of the furnace, and the dripping water sleeping was intermittent. Cold was not the biggest problem. Before owning a TT of any sorts, I have slept in Lean-tos at -20 and even spent one night on the ground when the lean-to was occupied already. We went to sleep and the ground was bare, woke up and we were covered with about 4 inches of snow...of course it was not super cold that night, about 28 or so. An Army goose down mummy bag, and one piece hunting suit and all was well.
boblinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:35 AM   #49
Long time camper.

Deer hunting in Northern Lower Peninsula Michigan. Got to deer camp late in the night. Friends in new camper unknown to me. You don’t want to wake up hunters after lights out and all the guns around. 20° sleeping bag, 15° Temp snowing in the back of pickup. Woken up at 5 am for breakfast under 6” of snow. Warm and comfortable IN THE BAG. But the run in to the camper made my bones tremble. Probably wouldn’t do it with DW today, she’d make me find a room.

Samtummo
samTummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:52 AM   #50

High teens one night at West Yellowstone a couple years back in the Roo 21ss. High 20's the other nights we were there. Warmed up during the day.

Single digits in a tent once. there wasn't a lot of fun in that as I recall.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I've tent camped in when it was -20. How's that?
Me too. We had to chip out the ground, put. the tent stakes in horizontal, then fill hole with water to pitch tent. Fun days.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:55 AM   #52

Pretty new to RV life. What do you mean by hybrid? Electric & gas?
Old 10-20-2020, 08:59 AM   #53
AZ Camper

Mid 20's while elk huntingClick image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1602348899517.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	241565

2020 Rockwood Roo 24WS
2019 RAM 1500

blangan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:01 AM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannieoakley View Post
Pretty new to RV life. What do you mean by hybrid? Electric & gas?
Hybrid trailers are typically hard-sided trailers with expandable canvas sides on each end, kind of like a pop-up.

Here's one example:

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...s/rockwood-roo
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:36 AM   #55

Quote:
About to take a trip around the country and we will be hitting some areas in the 30s. Whats the coldest you have camped in your hybrid?
Well last June we were at Wallowa Lake State Camground in Oregon in June and woke up to snow in the morning. That was exciting. Of course our R-Pod 177 was cozy for my wife and I and our two dogs.
dlubins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:36 AM   #56

Well last June we were at Wallowa Lake State Camground in Oregon in June and woke up to snow in the morning. That was exciting. Of course our R-Pod 177 was cozy for my wife and I and our two dogs.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #57

Quote:
Well last June we were at Wallowa Lake State Camground in Oregon in June and woke up to snow in the morning. That was exciting. Of course our R-Pod 177 was cozy for my wife and I and our two dogs. That poses a good question. How do you deal with freezing temps we hike camping? Pipes and tanks are all ecpised.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #58

We live in Erskine which is in central Alberta, Canada. We are full timers and had to stay here last winter, temperatures down to -40 degrees. We live in a 2017 Coachmen Chaparral. To answer your question re sewer hose we left ours attached without any heat, we just made sure that the hose was going downhill. We left both greywater tanks open except to flush them a few times through the winter. We flushed our blackwater tank every couple weeks as needed. We have 14 feet of freshwater hose exposed to the open which I wrapped with a heated wrap designed for hoses. We have a heated basement and heat pads under our tanks so we didn't need to worry about this. As insurance we wrapped our trailer with US Energy Products Double Sided Reflective Heat Radiant Barrier Aluminum Foil Insulation available on amazon or most building stores. That is all we did and stayed cozy all winter with an increased cost for propane for sure.
Dale Meyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:12 PM   #59

Boot camp bivouac. 5 days with a high of 0. Or doesn't that type of camping count?
Less is More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:32 PM   #60

Fall in NH with lows in the high 20s and an occasional dusting of snow we usually are at a full hook-up site. Since we not paying for electricity I run an electric tower heater at 60 and set the furnace at 65 to take the edge off. Never had any water issues since it’s usually in the 40s during the day but always keep a couple gallon jugs for flushing or whatever just in case.
Cornpotter is offline   Reply With Quote