Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2022, 06:05 PM   #1

Window Leak

I am now dealing with a window leak from what I believe is a manufacturing defect. I have a 2017 Shamrock 233S that I ordered new from factory during the winter of 2016. While winterizing the camper this year, I folded down the sofa to access the hot water tank bypass and noticed what looked like popcorn ceiling texture beneath the wall paper under the Lippert frameless window. I had actually first noticed this the previous year, but it was just a couple of small pimples, which I figured may have just been sawdust trapped under the wallpaper during manufacturing that I just hadn't noticed before. It could only be seen when the sofa was folded down. This year, it is 10x worse and had spread to cover an area of about 1 square foot. I began peeling back the wallpaper and found a water stain, directly under the Lippert frameless window. I Pulled the window, and frame, and found the seal on the top right corner had been pulled tight. It wasn't sitting on the flange at all, just kind of pulled up tight against the inside of the window frame so when the window was installed, the seal did not seat against the fiberglass outer wall in that corner. There is water discoloration from that point in the corner, all the way down the window opening and into the inner wall just above the water stain.

This is after removing the window and peeling back some wallpaper.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221011_172701.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	280371
It looks like the start of some delamination in the corner of the window.

Name:	delamination.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	280372
It may be hard to see in the photo, but the outside luan is waterstained down the edge from that corner to where it bagan to run inside the wall at the dirt stain on the Styrofoam.

Name:	water path.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	280373

To repair, I replaced the seal with some weather strip tape I found at Menards. Its sponge seal tape, 1/2"x1/4". This stuff seems to be a lot denser than what was in there originally. The window when originally installed sat nearly flush with the outside wall. Its now offset and sticks out by 1/8" or maybe 3/16". The new seal I used doesn't seem to compress as much as the OEM seal.

I also used some 2" waterproof rubber tape to seal the open edge of the wall inside the window opening before reinstalling the window. Sorry no pic. The adhesive is very sticky, similar to Eternabond, just with a black rubber backing. The logic here was should that window leak again, it wont be able to run inside the wall where it would be left to fester unnoticed. It would either have to run back outside the wall outside the camper, or down the outside of the wall inside the camper where it would be readily noticed.

Im not sure Im happy with the seal. While I dont believe it will leak, I think I would rather have the original seal back in there so the window seats flush like it should. Does anyone know what the factory used for seals on these windows?

My other problems....What can be done if anything about the delamination. Is there a fix for this?
And this is whats left of my inside wall.

Name:	water stain.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	280374
I was going to bleach the stain and sand it. After that, does anyone know where I might be able to find that pattern wallpaper to fix the damage?.
My first thought was to reach out to Forrest River, but it seems they removed all contact information from their web site. Their "contact us" link sends you straight to a dealer locator. The dealer I bought the camper from originally was less than helpful last time I contacted them in search of parts. All my requests went unanswered.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 08:51 PM   #2

You seem very handy , good for you .just a thought can you remove all the paper on that wall and just paint it ? Or the whole room ? .I use a sealant made by Chemlink called M1 . It can cure even if under water. Plus extremely strong and can last 20 plus years .
Ken-m is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, window