Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #1
Engineer of Crazy Train
 
ChooChooMan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tiverton, RI
Posts: 1,585
Winterizing the New Roo (Oh My So Easy)

We did our final campout this weekend at Normandy Farms. I have my final week of vacation, so perfect time to winterize Bertha. I am a belt and suspenders man, so blow and pink stuff for me. I already had a home made blow out adapter, so I just got some tubing and a barbed nipple to make a antifreeze suck tube. Also made a water filter bypass. Well winterizing this thing is a piece of cake with the factory setup.

My AF suck tube
Click image for larger version

Name:	1446518177514.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	93592

My water filter bypass.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1446518211773.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	93593

I used up 2 gallons, including pouring a bunch down each P trap. I had bought 3 when we had a 20 degree night a few weeks back, where I blew out the lines and added some to the P traps. So, I got 2/3 of a gallon left.
__________________

__________________
TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183 (SOLD due to 2 years off work)
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Thunderbolt75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Jersey, USA
Posts: 103
Looks great!
We're off on a four day weekend later this week but that exercise isn't far away for us either.
__________________

__________________
Be safe, but if you cannot, be violent.
Choose to be a winner, not a victim.
Thunderbolt75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Bobaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 245
I did mine last week, felt good and bad at the same time. It's gonna be a long winter.


Bob
__________________
2013 Rockwood 2504
2015 Silverado 1500 4x4 Z71 Double Cab
Diablo and Lew Custom tuned
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Medina, Ohio
Posts: 155
I was winterizing my Roo today. Removed filter. Emptied hot water tank. Switched bypass valves. Switched pump input to anti-freeze line. I also emptied all 3 tanks and the low point drains and blew everything out. I closed the three drains.

When I pumped in the anti-freeze I got nothing coming out the hot water side of any faucet. Is that normal? The plug is out of the hot water tank so I know it is not going there? Does using the bypass valves effectively switch the system to all cold?
__________________
2015 Roo 23IKSS
2016 F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
Kanga99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
Engineer of Crazy Train
 
ChooChooMan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tiverton, RI
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga99 View Post
I was winterizing my Roo today. Removed filter. Emptied hot water tank. Switched bypass valves. Switched pump input to anti-freeze line. I also emptied all 3 tanks and the low point drains and blew everything out. I closed the three drains.

When I pumped in the anti-freeze I got nothing coming out the hot water side of any faucet. Is that normal? The plug is out of the hot water tank so I know it is not going there? Does using the bypass valves effectively switch the system to all cold?
Doublecheck the 3 bypass valves on the hot water side. You should get AF on both sides.
__________________
TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183 (SOLD due to 2 years off work)
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Liverpool NY
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Doublecheck the 3 bypass valves on the hot water side. You should get AF on both sides.
X2
__________________
2015 Shamrock 231KSS, Oyster shell
2019 Chev Silverado LT Z71 Ext. Cab, 4x4, 5.3L V/8
Reese Straight Line WDH, 2000W Honda Gen.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping 2015, 45 in 2016, 42 in 2017, 37 in 2018, 38 in 2019
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #7
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,020
The valves should look something like this. Closed position is when the handle is perpendicular to the water line. Open position is when the handle is parallel to the water line.

In this picture the valves on the cold and hot lines are closed and the valve on the bypass line between them is open.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Wisconsin/Florida
Posts: 1,402
It is possible that you have all 3 valves closed at the HW bypass. If you have a 3-valve bypass system, the cold-in should be in the off position, the center valve open, and the hot-out closed. This will allow antifreeze to bypass the heater.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 7
water filter bypass

got a 16 shamrock 233s, was wondering what to do so i didnt have to use anti freeze to fill the water filter housing.
is there a bypass on there factory installed or was that added after?
jizmo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
Engineer of Crazy Train
 
ChooChooMan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tiverton, RI
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo3 View Post
got a 16 shamrock 233s, was wondering what to do so i didnt have to use anti freeze to fill the water filter housing.
is there a bypass on there factory installed or was that added after?
There is no factory water filter bypass. I use the Camco 12" water heater bypass. It also gives you the option to bypass the filter if it clogs up. But, if your water source is clogging your filter, you may not want to bypass it.

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk.
__________________
TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183 (SOLD due to 2 years off work)
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #11
Summer2Go
 
Summer2Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NW New Jersey
Posts: 652
The low point drains in a Roo183 are where? I see a sticker where my fresh water tank is labeled fresh water drain. Would like to try my 1st winterization, but I can't find these drains.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:30 PM   #12
Engineer of Crazy Train
 
ChooChooMan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tiverton, RI
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
The low point drains in a Roo183 are where? I see a sticker where my fresh water tank is labeled fresh water drain. Would like to try my 1st winterization, but I can't find these drains.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
There are 2 sets on mine. First set, left side, just in front of the wheel. 2nd set, back right corner.

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk.
__________________
TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183 (SOLD due to 2 years off work)
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #13
Summer2Go
 
Summer2Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NW New Jersey
Posts: 652
Wow! Thanks ChooChoo! I finally found the set in the back corner under the bathroom. Can't find the other one though. My freshwater tank maybe the reason though, it has a little plastic knob to completely empty the fresh water tank, on the bottom of the tank. Maybe that is a 2016 thing? I want to see if I can blow out the lines and use minimal antifreeze, I have to get the toilet fixed, it doesn't hold water.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:55 PM   #14
Engineer of Crazy Train
 
ChooChooMan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tiverton, RI
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
Wow! Thanks ChooChoo! I finally found the set in the back corner under the bathroom. Can't find the other one though. My freshwater tank maybe the reason though, it has a little plastic knob to completely empty the fresh water tank, on the bottom of the tank. Maybe that is a 2016 thing? I want to see if I can blow out the lines and use minimal antifreeze, I have to get the toilet fixed, it doesn't hold water.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I have a 2015 183.

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk.
__________________
TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183 (SOLD due to 2 years off work)
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #15
Summer2Go
 
Summer2Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NW New Jersey
Posts: 652
Do you have a white plastic drain on the bottom of your fresh water tank? I'm thinking that is why I don't have the extra drain in front of the wheel. I have a sticker on the outside of the trailer labeling the fresh water drain.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1447005283.356194.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	93891Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1447005353.974032.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	93892


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #16
Summer2Go
 
Summer2Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NW New Jersey
Posts: 652
Sorry it wouldn't post.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #17
Engineer of Crazy Train
 
ChooChooMan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tiverton, RI
Posts: 1,585
Yes, I have a fresh water drain. Maybe my 2 low point drains are a goof up?

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk.
__________________
TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183 (SOLD due to 2 years off work)
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Heartland
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
We did our final campout this weekend at Normandy Farms. I have my final week of vacation, so perfect time to winterize Bertha. I am a belt and suspenders man, so blow and pink stuff for me. I already had a home made blow out adapter, so I just got some tubing and a barbed nipple to make a antifreeze suck tube. Also made a water filter bypass. Well winterizing this thing is a piece of cake with the factory setup.

My AF suck tube
Attachment 93592

My water filter bypass.
Attachment 93593

I used up 2 gallons, including pouring a bunch down each P trap. I had bought 3 when we had a 20 degree night a few weeks back, where I blew out the lines and added some to the P traps. So, I got 2/3 of a gallon left.
ChooChoo. What size of plastic tubing did you use 1/2"? What type of fittings did you use to connect to the A/F line? It looks like a garden hose fitting. Is the barbed nipple the piece that connects to the female garden hose fitting? Is the pump strong enough to suck the A/F through the plastic tubing. Sorry for so many questions. Just want to do it right.
JWHybrid2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #19
Engineer of Crazy Train
 
ChooChooMan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tiverton, RI
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHybrid2B View Post
ChooChoo. What size of plastic tubing did you use 1/2"? What type of fittings did you use to connect to the A/F line? It looks like a garden hose fitting. Is the barbed nipple the piece that connects to the female garden hose fitting? Is the pump strong enough to suck the A/F through the plastic tubing. Sorry for so many questions. Just want to do it right.
I believe I used 1/4 ID, but don't quote me. I built this contraption at HD. I got the 3/4 Male Garden Hose and I believe the female is 1/2 NPT. My nipple for my air compressor is 3/8 NPT, so I had to step it down with a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter. I then got the 3/8 NPT to 1/4 Barb with tubing. I thought it would suck slow, but it did quite well.

Mod Idea. If you have an AF inlet, I was thinking of modding a valve from the pump outlet to the tank. Then, you can pump water into your tank when boondocking.

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk.
__________________
TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183 (SOLD due to 2 years off work)
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
yetavon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: WNC
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo3 View Post
got a 16 shamrock 233s, was wondering what to do so i didnt have to use anti freeze to fill the water filter housing.
is there a bypass on there factory installed or was that added after?
I removed the filter element and used a 20 once tea bottle to take up the space.....
__________________

__________________
2015 Shamrock 21DK
2005 Silverado Ext cab
Nights camped 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
roo, winter, winterize

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 PM.


×