Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2021, 08:22 PM   #1

Any Patriot Guard Riders in here?

I am PGR #492 of over 350,000 members. I am a US Army Vietnam Era Veteran & I joined the PGR on 22 Nov 2005. They were founded two weeks earlier on 8 Nov 2005. I have been a Ride Captain since Aug 2011 & have attended over 300 missions during my time with them. Just wonderin how many others here are members of this most honorable cause?
Attached Images

BABBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:29 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

My Dad was a PGR in Austin, TX. He was a Vietnam vet who retired from the Air Force in 1974. He started riding again when he was about 65 years old. I think he got jealous of me when I got my bike. But I had to quit due to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (my hands and arms would numb up so much, I couldn't keep my grip very well...not good on a motorcycle). Anyway, Dad rode on quite a few missions in the few years before we lost him. And the PGR showed up in great numbers for his service. It was an awesome sight to see.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:46 AM   #3
Defender of America

How do I join?
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:53 AM   #4
Retired Army MSG!

My wife and I were Rolling Thunder members for years and we did several joint missions with Patriot Guard. Retired Army here. I quit riding motorcycles about 3.5 years ago. Just got tired of dodging cell phone operators and non driving idiots on the road.
Thanks for your service and all that the PG does.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:34 AM   #5

Many years ago (April 2000) when I started riding again after a 20 year break, I ran into a guy at work who had a patriot guard patch on his jacket. I had heard of them and thought that would be something my father would be proud to see me become a part of. He was combat veteran of WWII as a waist gunner on a B24 assigned to bomb Germany.

So, I asked this guy about how to join the guard. The first thing he asked was what kind Harley I owned. I said an R1200C. His puzzled look told me was not familiar with that particular model. When I informed him it was a BMW, he said don't bother.

I have not attempted to nor do I desire to join a group whose members are that closed minded about the brand of motorcycle one rides.
cruisintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
How do I join?
www.patriotguard.org will get you to National PGR. In order to get notified of missions in your area, you will need to also sign up at your State PGR page.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisintx View Post
Many years ago (April 2000) when I started riding again after a 20 year break, I ran into a guy at work who had a patriot guard patch on his jacket. I had heard of them and thought that would be something my father would be proud to see me become a part of. He was combat veteran of WWII as a waist gunner on a B24 assigned to bomb Germany.

So, I asked this guy about how to join the guard. The first thing he asked was what kind Harley I owned. I said an R1200C. His puzzled look told me was not familiar with that particular model. When I informed him it was a BMW, he said don't bother.

I have not attempted to nor do I desire to join a group whose members are that closed minded about the brand of motorcycle one rides.
First of all, I want to thank your dad for HIS service & OUR Freedoms.
Secondly, what you were told by that guy is a crock & that guy should be reported to the his state leadership.
You do NOT need to ride a Harley Davidson. You do NOT need to ride at all. All that is required is RESPECT for Active Military, Military Retirees,
Military Veterans, Law Enforcement Officers, First Responders and their family members.
I urge you to rethink your decision & check us out.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:23 PM   #8

I am a member for a few years now but have never received a mission in my area. Upstate NY just outside of Buffalo.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy464 View Post
I am a member for a few years now but have never received a mission in my area. Upstate NY just outside of Buffalo.
Did you sign up here?

https://www.pgrny.org/index.php/membership
Old 10-16-2021, 03:31 PM   #10

We were members until they changed web servers and we didn't get our emails updated. Just never went back to signup again and we haven't ridden our bikes in 3 years since a cataract overtook my left eye. Had my eyes fixed and now waiting for DH to have his fixed. Hoping to be back riding by spring.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:14 PM   #11

Yes that is where I signed up.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:45 PM   #12

Patriot Guard Rider since 2008

I've been a member of the PGR since 2008 and have done well over 300 missions. Whoever said you had to ride a Harley is TOTALLY WRONG!!! True there are several Harleys - I ride a Suzuki, but we have all brands of bikes and more and more Can Ams and trikes as our riders get older. It is widely misunderstood that you have to ride a motorcycle or even be a veteran. Both of those assumptions are wrong. I happen to be a 20-year Air Force Vietnam vet; but, we have several non-veterans and some who participate in cars/trucks. All are welcome. We have no dues, no meetings, and no dress code. All you have to do to be a member is go to patriotguard.org and sign up. Presto! you're a member. You can sign up to be notified of missions in your region. Participation is strictly voluntary. You don't have to sign up for a mission, just show up. The ride captain will explain everything to you. We'd love to have you.
marksnowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:24 PM   #13

I’m not a member. But as a funeral director, I strongly encourage participation in the Patriot Guard. I’ve seen them only once but dang… Their presence was overwhelming to the family and our funeral staff. I’m glad I read up on them. I was under the impression it’s for motorcycle riders. Clearly I was wrong. I thank everyone in the Patriot Guard for what y’all do.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy464 View Post
Yes that is where I signed up.
Send an email here:

Webmaster@pgrny.org

Tell them that you are not receiving notifications.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:12 PM   #15
dgibbs1955

Any Patriot Guard Riders in here?

I am retired Navy, 26 years, and have been a PGR member since 2006. Mainly out of North Texas, but now I spilt my time between North Texas and Nebraska. I am a Ride Captain in both States. It is the only group I ride with or for. Have done well over 1,000 missions in North Texas alone...It is not unusual to have 3-7 missions a day for DFW National Cemetery. Really enjoyed it when the Snowball Express was based out of DFW for about 9 years in a row. The city really put on a show for the Gold Star families that were flown in from all over the world for those 5 days/nights of enjoyment and companionship with other members. Have only had a couple of run ins with our "friends" from Kansas, for which we were created for in the beginning. Wish more Funeral Homes would encourage family members to request the PGR for their fallen Hero. Have seen many obits that had NO request for the PGR to Stand Tall and Silent for them at the end.....look forward to the next mission.....

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote