Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #1

Full Time RV with Service Connected Disability

Hello fellow Veterans,

Have a few questions for those veterans with service connected disabilities that Full Time RV.

First some background, I have problems with my right ankle that keeps wanting to roll to the outside of the foot, and very limited range of mobility and strength in my right hand due to multiple surgeries.

The main question I have is, How do you handle any routine medical appointments with the VA?
Also would like any advice from veterans concerning full time RV'ing.

Thanks,
Cliff
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:04 PM   #2

I'm not a full timer, but I have had some issues while on a trip with service connected/combat related problems and had to cut the trip short

Have you received your "Veterans Choice" card? It allows you to go for treatment at a clinic of your choice. If you don't have the card yet (or even if you do) you may want to pose your question to a VSO and maybe he will be able to steer you in the right direction. Stay well Bro!
Just_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:39 PM   #3

twice I have been out and forgot meds once in Dayton ohio on a Saturday and in panama city fl both times I located a nearby VA clinic/hospital and with in 45 minutes I had what I needed. Altho all va facilities don't seem to be 100% interconnected with a few keystroke they were able to access my records, if you are on my healthyvet I believe you can share with other facilities , On your foot has your podiatrist suggested an Arizona Brace I am on my 2nd one from VA after 3 breaks and several sprains I couldn't get by with out it ( background 1st time break in ait did a run/dodge/jump maneuver ran fast ,dodged hard and jumped short) 49 years ago and it has hurt every day of my life since)
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #4

Bill, I'm waiting for my new Veterans ID card. According to the local VA center, they are back-logged.

Tncruiser, I have an ankle brace and wrist Brace that the VA supplied, but I hate to wear them all the time. Feels very restrictive.

Thanks to both of you for replying.
Cliff
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #5

NEVER buy the excuse of a backlog!! Those poor folks you're talking to may not even be at the facility responsible for your ID card. They're embarrassed to tell you that they can't answer your question because they don't know the answer; so they use the "back log" story. Its been that way since the 70's when I had that job.

Please visit your closest VA Medical Center; NOT a VA clinic, a Medical Center. If you're not sure, call the Philly VA at 215 823 5800 to find out which is closest to you. You'll be asked to complete a form; they'll take a digital photo; you should have a card either right away or certainly no longer than a week. If you've done all this and its been more than a week, call the Patient Advocate at the VA Medical Center where you applied for the ID card.

About the braces you find restrictive ... call the clinic (Orthopedic or Prosthetic?) that prescribed them for their "open clinic" hours - you can go without an appointment but you might have to wait. Or, call to schedule an appointment. Braces are never natural feeling, but, they can be adjusted for more comfort.

You should adjust your expectations for depending on VA medical facilities while traveling. Generally, VA facilities in RV destination areas (Florida, California) provide care to larger veteran communities because they're popular retirement areas as well. If its a serious issue, you'll no doubt be next in line for care. If its a discretionary problem, you might be last in line behind vets with appointments. Adjust for that, and you'll be fine.

Pain meds such as hydrocodone; anxiety meds such as valium; and similar drugs are now under MUCH STRICTER controls. Generally, you'll not be able to get more than a 30 day supply and your provider has to authorize each refill. The providers are also now heavily scrutinized for excessive prescribing. Even in your local VA clinic or hospital, this class of medications is getting to be a real PITA. Imagine the hoops you'll have to go through from a different VA facility. Other meds such as insulin or blood pressure drugs should be an easier go if you unexpectedly run out while on the road.

Prepare a checklist before you go so you won't forget to take what you need. Aside from that, don't worry and travel around this great country that you served. Make sure you visit and support the VFW or American Legion or AmVets or any service organizations during your travels. Some might even have a place for you to park your RV.
MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:09 AM   #6

Anyone traveling through Western North Carolina and are in need of VA services/care stop in at the Charles George VA Medical Center in Asheville, NC
I was accepted into the VA about a year ago, and am assigned to the Asheville VA. I have nothing but great things to say about them! Its all under one roof! You may have to wait a bit if you dont have an appointment, but im sure they will do their best to make sure your seen! I am always thanked for my service, by ghe Dr's, and Nurse's and other staff, and I always thank them for their excellent care!
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:31 PM   #7

As long as you have an ID Card you can use the famcamps. 100% disabled you can use.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service