Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2014, 12:03 AM   #41
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I am a Navy Veteran of 13 years and I cannot stay at the Military campgrounds from what I was told when I called them, I may be a veteran, but I am not retired or on active duty. So do any of you know if this is a true statement. The only thing that I have is my DD214 and my lifetime membership card at the VFW as proof and I guess this is not good enough to stay at them.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:39 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
What about us disabled veterans that are not retired, we can't use them either.
The rules are there and we all abide by them.
I think as a DAV I should be able to use military campgrounds also, but I can't. Life goes on.
I'm a 100% rated disable veteran I use the camp grounds anytime I can I have a life time pass or ID my wife has to renew hers every 5 years. I enjoy them and think of it as privilege not a free be. I have heard of a soldier's family staying like for a graduation but they have to be met at the gate when his party arrives. Each base is different, It is really up to the Commanding officer of the base itself. They would still need to get a pass to get on the base. Do I think it is right no I don't they could have stayed at a close CG and then travel in by car. With that said I'm sure it would have to have been approved by the base Commander. Don't know the whole story......Thank you all that served. SYE unless you have a VA rating as a veteran of 100% they will not let you stay on them.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:36 AM   #43

I agree with Spock. I am retired Navy and a group that size should not be allowed with one sponsor or even two. It should be a 1:1 ratio or 1:2 worst case. I belong to a couple of camping groups and would never use the military camping here in Maine for one of those groups. I would ask at the local level and use the "chain of command" to resolve the issue.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #44

That is correct. Congress is the governing body that sets the funding and authorization for who is allowed to use Category A, B, C appropriate/non appropriate facilities. Installation Commanders have some special authority but not much. This covers all the services to include the Coast Guard. As a rule, DAVs under 100% and those who did not earn a retirement pension are not authorized to use base facilities. This issue is with Congress not your MWR. They would give everyone access if they could because they must break even as a business entity or face being closed. With this being said, ID card holders have priority at all MWR activities and facilities.
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
spock123, I am retired USAF and live in the Goldsboro area. I stayed at SJ AFB FAMCAMP several times and haven't experienced your situation yet.

Have you spoke to a supervisor in the MWR chain of command yet?
I spoke to the lady thats the supervisor at Ft Fisher, a Katy Powell and she told me that in the off season one person with a military ID could rent all the spaces they wanted, all 21 spaces if they wanted too, thats just not right. I have called in the off season and could not get a space for the weekend and that could have been the reason, she said so. Well I called Senator Richard Burr today and I was told to get some people's names and they would handle it, Kay Hagen tomorrow
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #46
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I spoke to the lady thats the supervisor at Ft Fisher, a Katy Powell and she told me that in the off season one person with a military ID could rent all the spaces they wanted, all 21 spaces if they wanted too, thats just not right. I have called in the off season and could not get a space for the weekend and that could have been the reason, she said so. Well I called Senator Richard Burr today and I was told to get some people's names and they would handle it, Kay Hagen tomorrow
I would be interested in Ms. Powell's definition of "off season" as she uses it here.

Is March an "off season" month in NC?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I would be interested in Ms. Powell's definition of "off season" as she uses it here.

Is March an "off season" month in NC?
Yes, Jan, Feb,Mar,Apr,May,Sep,Oct,Nov,Dec
Old 03-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #48

Quote:

Question is: Is the 'Off Season' posted anywhere?

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #49
B47

Quote:
That surprises me that June,July and August are the only "on-season" months if you will.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #50

Just to jump in, being retire military and having stayed at a few bases and post, we have a local small army depot that has a pool, gym, golf course and soccer fields. These all are available to the local community, but at a higher price than what retirees, DOD employees or active military pay. Sometimes, it gets a little crowded, but overall its worth it because each one of these would be closed without the civilians that pay the extra to use.

I have stayed at Camp Lejuene a few times and they have limits on how many times a year you can reserve spots. I think its two.

Now for someone to come in and reserve all or a majority of spots for a large group, is a little bit greedy, unless it was during a time when there is little to no usage and it unlikely the spots are going to be used.

As stated in an earlier post, it has turned into a money game a long time ago with MWR in an attempt to make more money.

I know money is shuffled around from a money making activity to pay for a facility or activity that doesn't make money, but is popular with certain installation leadership figures. Example are base Golf Courses and Officer Clubs.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
That surprises me that June,July and August are the only "on-season" months if you will.

I wonder why May and September are not "season months"?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #52
Always Learning

I'm not a vet nor have ever served- so my opinion is likely moot.

From what I read on this thread- the campground department has to be self-funding. It seems that without enough users, they would have to close up.

Which would be worse- closing it all together or letting civilians use it? IMO, you have to look at the lessor of 2 evils. Especially as you haven't indicated that people have been turned away from using it. It's just folks you feel are undeserving of it are using it.

Just my $0.02 as an outsider looking in.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:00 PM   #53
Site Team

It's one thing to reserve a spot or two for close friends or family but to buy out the entire campground (or a good portion of it) is another thing. I too would not a happy camper (pun intended) if I encounter the same issue.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:21 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

From what I read on this thread- the campground department has to be self-funding. It seems that without enough users, they would have to close up.

Which would be worse- closing it all together or letting civilians use it? IMO, you have to look at the lessor of 2 evils. Especially as you haven't indicated that people have been turned away from using it. It's just folks you feel are undeserving of it are using it.

If MWR is renting out the spots to civilians then when I call and can't get a spot then it may as well be closed. Because the military campground is set up for active duty and retired not for civilians. If all the spots are rented out to civilians then who are they saving the campground for, not for me. The only thing MWR is doing is saving there jobs, MWR could care less about active duty and retired, its all about saving there jobs.There is at least four civilian campgrounds that are close by. Ft Fisher is $25 a night the other campgrounds are more than that, one is a KOA
Old 03-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

I have called many times and could not get a spot and I asked the lady could that be the reason that I could not get a spot and she said yes. I always thought that when I called and could not get a spot was that an active duty had beat me and I was fine with that but now I know it could have been a civilian. It use to be active duty could reserve the spots 90 days in advance and retired 75 days in advance, so I always thought when I could not get a spot and active duty had beat me out which I was fine with. The whole time they were letting civilians groups in 18 months ahead. Tell me who are they saving the campground for?
Old 03-26-2014, 07:01 AM   #56

too bad that you have to be retired or active military to use them. I am a veteran but can not use the one we have here that sits over half empty all year. If they would open the camps up to veterans they could maybe keep them full all year long.
GaryanJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryanJane View Post
too bad that you have to be retired or active military to use them. I am a veteran but can not use the one we have here that sits over half empty all year. If they would open the camps up to veterans they could maybe keep them full all year long.

If I can detract for a second, what's the distinction between retired military and veteran? Shouldn't that be the same thing? Only way I could think it would make a difference was a dishonourable discharge.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #58

Retired is someone who served for 20 years or more. They are also a veteran. A veteran is anybody who served, does not have to be for 20 years, could be only 4.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
If I can detract for a second, what's the distinction between retired military and veteran? Shouldn't that be the same thing? Only way I could think it would make a difference was a dishonourable discharge.
A retired military is a person who has put in his 20 plus years. They also get a retirement based on there ranking at discharge. A veteran as described as a person who severed in the Military for 3 to what ever but not long enough to receive a pension. The way the MWR works is a pecking order. The camp grounds are first given to active. There is a limit to exceed that limit the Commanding officer has to approve it. Then comes DOD personal that are doing a temp job at the base. The third is a Veteran that has been awarded 100% disability from the VA or retired with a pension. Other then that a person severing is allowed to sponsor a parent for a visit which also has to be approved by the Commander and the parents are met with the paper work at the gate for entry. If anyone thinks that they bases do not fill up you are wrong. I have tried for 3 years to stay at the Coast Guard base in the keys, they allow booking 1 year in advance. People can stay for 6mos. They do have a dry camp area that they move you into and if someone leaves the longest person that is in the dry camp area get's to move if they want. I have called many bases and been turn down because of the dates I want are taken already. Sometimes they leave 1 or 2 spots open for people that are traveling for over night. Trust me the MWR is not going broke. You can read the rules at Military Camp grounds. It is a private site that was started and gives all the info for reservation and how long ahead you can make them. It has every USA base that has CG with it. In fact if you stay at Fort Bragg you are not even on the base at all. It is located off base like 1 mile away. I do not know what happen except they were their for a burial. I'm sure out of respect to the family the rules bent a little. But still the Commander is the only one who can do that not MWR. The last place I stayed at there was a guy with 9mos left in service, he was working on an old trailer getting ready to drive back to Minn, when he retired. He told me that he had to petition the Commander for this exception. I hope this clears this up a little for everyone.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davylee View Post
Retired is someone who served for 20 years or more. They are also a veteran. A veteran is anybody who served, does not have to be for 20 years, could be only 4.
Or can be medically retired

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg