Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #21

You are partially right, but there are some real gems out there and some very good apps for locating and rating them. First, try the back of the Good Sam campsite book which lists most if not all military campsites, or the private site USMilitaryCampgrounds.com One of the best of all military campsites is the relatively new Cheatham Navy Losgistics Base Annex in Williamsburg, VA. It's right in the middle of the "Historic Triangle" with Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown. Discount tickets available. And don't overlook the Shades of Green Hotel at Disneyworld in FL. It's not a campsite but features half-priced Disney tickets to active and retired military...a great deal when you consider park entry is over $100 per person!
LtCol USAF Ret.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc View Post

Unless you have other business at a military base or camp, I see no reason to drive for miles out of the way just to stay there overnight. It just doesn't make good financial sense.

I would hope that FAMCAMPs can do better than this for our country's veterans.
OK I am assuming you are either not a retired Vet Or DAV with a 30% rating.

I have stayed at 2 dozen military cg in the past 14 months. Currently at Ft McCoy. (PS this is the best Mil CG I have been at and at multiple times.

So my cost is $360 a month (comparable to Benning, Brag & many AFB also.)

I have full hookups, Free 77 channel cable, A load of laundry washer is $1.25 wash/dry so $$2.50 a load.

Full PX & commissary & PX

So I am guessing you are not a rated Veteran. That does not mean I do not appreciate if you served.

So tell me anyplace I can stay any place less expensive, with an average of 30 channels cable, free water & electric boating etc for between $300 - 500 year rounds as I bounce bases and fish and hunt for another average $ 75 a base

You might be missing something that I can help you save money on.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandCarol View Post
Vandenberg AFB on the Central Coast of California is holding at $24 for active duty and $26 for retirees for full hookup pull thru. The closest private starts at $55 per night and goes up to over $100 on the weekend with a two night minimum. 20 miles up the coast in Pismo you will find similar rates at the private campgrounds and $50 at the State Parks with partial hookups.

Itís just another reason to stay out of California!
Mewcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
I don't know about any other military campgrounds but the ones located on Camp Lejeune, Cherry Point and New River (all NC) charge the same rate for active and retired.....the only difference is reservations open up for active duty sooner (two weeks I think)
Lejune has monthly rates for active, reserve, guard, retiree, and DAV much cheaper.

If you passing through your going to pay commercial rate -$5 to $15 your not a money producer for MWR.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #25

We have used military campgrounds often in our travels. In fact, it is always our first go to if there is one in the area we are visiting. We have also stayed in military lodging (on base "hotels" which are often pretty basic compared to their private counterparts).

For campgrounds, we have paid as little as $15 and as much as $28. We seldom pay less than $30 at private sites unless we find a Passport America member, and most often that $30 site is pretty basic. As wagonmaster for our camping club over the past five years, I have noticed an increase in camping fees across the board, including national and state parks. Fewer and fewer real deals are out there, and competition for spaces in some areas is fierce. The basic law of supply and demand are driving fees up as RV manufacturers keep cranking them out!

And, yes, some military campgrounds are better than others. Some are strictly off-base recreation and are much like private RV resorts; others -- particularly those on base -- are pretty basic and are frequently used by personnel on base for temporary lodging, so there is dual use. Retirees are also often admitted on a space available basis (which means revenue for spaces which would otherwise be empty). Frankly, I would just as soon that the military get the revenue as some greedy private corporation (no brand names mentioned).

We do like being on base because of the sense of familiarity and security. We don't have to go looking for the local Walmart, drug store, etc. since many of the bases already have Commissary and Exchange, gas station, dry cleaners, fast food, etc. We don't have the security issues that we have in unknown neighborhoods while we are trying to find our way around a strange town. So we give up many of the amenities -- the pools, wifi, cable oftentimes -- for basic sheltering needs. And if the military can make a few $$ in revenue, that means a few $$ less out of the tax pool.
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #26
Navy06RET

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Wow, after reading some of these comments I'm just shaking my head. I was always under the impression that our military installations were operated for National Defense. Some seem to think that they exist solely for leisure and recreational purposes?

I guess some just feel entitled.
Excuse me, but it's one of the benefits I, AM entitled to after 27 years in the US Navy, along with all those who made a career of military service.
dascribner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #27
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rrider View Post
Is FAMCAMP soley an AFB organization?
Most all military and some government (NASA, FBI) bases have FAMCAMPs of some sort. Some are just unimproved campsites; some have minimal facilities and some are like top end RV resorts. It just depends on the base.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Wow, after reading some of these comments I'm just shaking my head. I was always under the impression that our military installations were operated for National Defense. Some seem to think that they exist solely for leisure and recreational purposes?

I really have to take exception to your comment. FAMCAMPS are primarily for the military families who live at the base in a temporary or semi-permanent assignment. Many young military families just can't afford off station housing and most bases no longer have sufficient permanent housing for families as barracks were primary bachelor housing. FAMCAMPs serve a need for young families.

The unutilized spaces are made available to retirees on a "space available" basis.

I would like to say a lot more about your poor attitude toward our servicemen and women; but I will just walk away instead.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
You must have a valid Military or DOD ID or have someone with a valid ID to sponsor you to rent/reserve anything.

Now I have no clue if they will expand that to include the new "VA Veteran" card or not. (If they ever get that system on line that is)
If you're a 100% disabled veteran, you can go there. I don't see them ever changing that
JimFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #30

Quote:

I totally agree. If you don't want to go there, don't go there. It doesn't cost you anything to get that benefit. I've stayed at numerous famcamps, always found them decent. And most importantly they are safe. If you don't like it, don't go
JimFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #31

I will always use military campgrounds if possible. I have stayed at some great ones and basic ones. Not operated by the DOD operated by Non Appropiated Fund MWR and have to be self sufficient. I am also at FT McCoy winding down my career, summer rate is $720 a bit steep but given the convienance to work and paying for my future is a bonus. This is discounted from the General public price. Unlike most parks this is open to the public but given the geographic location and requirement to be self sustaining that is the only option to keep it flourishing. To me being on a military campground is like being home for most people. 33 years and counting makes it the type of people I am comfortable around.
1998 Rockwood popup
John Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #32

Just out of curiosity, do these campgrounds permit Canadian military to stay as well? It may be a good option for some trips in the future?

9 years and counting active service, all as an MP.

2017 - 16 nights
2018 - 31 nights
2019 - 0 So far
BigWil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #33

Quote:

Moral, Welfare & Recreation (MWR).

Do a little research, look it up. Maybe with a better understanding of it's purpose and how it's funded you will see military FAMCAMPS, RV Parks, Campgrounds & regional military recreational areas in a more favorable light.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Most all military and some government (NASA, FBI) bases have FAMCAMPs of some sort. Some are just unimproved campsites; some have minimal facilities and some are like top end RV resorts. It just depends on the base.
FAMCAMP is a USAF acronym.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #35

Quote:

Spoken by a non-service member, I'm sure.

Someone who never had to leave home for 4 years or more. Never spent Xmas alone on some military base, or out at sea. Never had to eat powered eggs or K-rations for his meals. Never got sub-standard wages for essentially a 24/7/365 job. Never got shot at. Never got spit on or called "baby killer" by liberal do-gooders.

Sheesh. Maybe he should move to North Korea.

I only did 4 yrs, so I don't get to stay in these military RV places, but I certainly don't begrudge the 20+ year guys being able to do so.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #36

For those of you who are not current military, you may not know that many lower grade enlisted personnel have to rely on food stamps to feed their families. Our government is more concerned with the latest and greatest hardware and NOT in providing a living wage for the soldiers themselves.

And then some of you would like to deny them an opportunity for some low cost recreation. Nice bunch of guy you are.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
FAMCAMP is a USAF acronym.
That's what I found when I looked it up. The ones I found on other bases are run by MWR. The one on my base is no frills but still neat and clean.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
I am retired air force and DW and I have stayed at several of the military famcamps, some on air force bases and some naval installations. Some are nicer than others, but all provide the basic services for a much lower price that the surrounding area. I would say to anyone that does not like the price or services provided, to carry your ass on down the road, no one is forcing you to stay at any given location. Another point I will address. If you want the benefits that military retirees are given, then you should have thought about giving 20 or more years of your life to help protect this land that we call the USA. If you did not do so , then you do not have a vote in the matter.

I did not serve and do have a vote. The service people are not compensated well enough in about all areas. I will vote for any improvements in the compensation and benefits to our solders. They are our heroes.

I am also a supporter of the law enforcement officers. Not enough pay for the service performed. There are other issues with civil service benefits that I might have issue with, but risking ones life to serve should be compensated.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #39
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyShope View Post
Lejune has monthly rates for active, reserve, guard, retiree, and DAV much cheaper.

If you passing through your going to pay commercial rate -$5 to $15 your not a money producer for MWR.
Your info is a little out of date.
Everyone pays the same.
There is no "commercial" or non-military rate.
There is a monthly discount but only in the off season but it is pretty nice.

From the website:

Onslow Beach reservations can only be made by authorized patrons with a valid military or DoD ID card.

Rates
RV Sites $32 per night
Tent Sites $12 per night
Dry Camp $8 per night

Non-Peak Season Specials (November 1 - March 31)
RV Site Special $12.50 a night if you stay a minimum of 30 consecutive days.

RV and Tent Patrons may stay an unlimited number of nights, based on availability.

And here is the website for you to enjoy:
Onslow Beach

Or if you prefer 910-440-7502

I've stayed there many many times over the last 37 years.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #40
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFitz View Post
If you're a 100% disabled veteran, you can go there. I don't see them ever changing that
Yes. Because you are an authorized patron. Never said otherwise!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg