Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2017, 10:29 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc View Post
This thread was getting interesting but got hijacked.
Guilty...my bad
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #82
Site Team

The FAMCAMP at Dobbin AFRB, in Marietta, GA, is a good example of a "bad example " for FAMCAMP's.

Leadership has allowed folks to "homestead" and the camp area looks pretty darn trashy at times. I think they need to apply, and enforce, the same general exterior appearance guidelines at FAMCAMP's as they do in the Base / Post family housing. I'd would have never got away with leaving my quarters looking like the Dobbin's FAMCAMP...

I'll go ahead and "take cover" now....
Old 12-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
The FAMCAMP at Dobbin AFRB, in Marietta, GA, is a good example of a "bad example " for FAMCAMP's.

Leadership has allowed folks to "homestead" and the camp area looks pretty darn trashy at times. I think they need to apply, and enforce, the same general exterior appearance guidelines at FAMCAMP's as they do in the Base / Post family housing. I'd would have never got away with leaving my quarters looking like the Dobbin's FAMCAMP...

I'll go ahead and "take cover" now....
I don't think you need to take cover. I am a full timer at another base, if you choose to live in your camper, keep your neat. I get it inside storage is a premium but leaving the outside looking like a continuous yard sale is unacceptable.
1998 Rockwood popup
John Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Color me stupid.... active or DAV military should be free and ??% discount for retired military.

Given the choice of free and give up housing allowance or keep allowance and pay, I suspect most would choose to pay and pocket a little of that allowance.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:52 AM   #85

Have not stayed on base for a long time when the military pay grade went up to be more competitive with civilian pay everything went up on the bases.

Only would stay on base when it is convenient for us as many go to PI and stay on base to see a Marine Corps graduation ceremony in April but would be visiting things on the base so would be more convenient for us then.
Medically Retired Marine Semper fi
Brucecav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #86

We've stayed at 20 or 30 in the last 5 years but mostly when it's been convenient. Like Barstow CA where it's right near the freeway (but not too close) and within walking distance of BX and Commissary. But, there have been some losers, like the slot we reserved over the phone at a Base in western TN but were never able to find after getting on Base late at night! (That's when we first learned of Walmarts.) There is a great web site U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - U.S. Military Campgrounds Directory Software Subscription Renewal for military campgrounds. It has 360 degree photos of almost every military campground in 49 states and a continuously updated rating system submitted by users. It used to be by donation but now it's $9.95 a year...less than a dollar a month.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #87

Some good sites are operated by military branch Rec Services and are not on the bases themselves. Vince provided a pretty good website link that has a lot of good info on various camping areas run by the various military branches along with reviews.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:06 AM   #88

We traveled from the DFW Texas area to Patrick AFB, FL staying at FAMCAMPs. Never paid over $24 for a full hookup site though we didn't use the sewer. Overflow at Tyndall was $15 with water an electric. Worse was Keesler's it has a terrible showerhouse. Talking with a fellow camper that stayed at Lackland their's is bad too. It's a toss up between Patrick and Barksdale as to the nicest. Wife like Patrick better. Barksdale is also increasing in size. I think someone said 25 more drive through slots.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #89

Towed the trailer to old navy, Andersen was full, long drive...
Talofa
vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:14 PM   #90

Retired Army here, but avoid military campgrounds like the plague. Very few allow firearms and I never leave home without one.
PARADOX-SEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:32 PM   #91

Firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARADOX-SEV View Post
Retired Army here, but avoid military campgrounds like the plague. Very few allow firearms and I never leave home without one.
Is there one place I can go to find out what the firearms requirements are, or do I have to call each base separately? I recently got a pistol, and that is a concern of mine.
JimFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:38 PM   #92
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I also stay away and of course they do not encourage folks to use there camp grounds unless you retired from military very discriminatory as far as I'm concerned. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:55 PM   #93

Many places you can register your firearm at the visitors center or PMO and you are good to go. Call the campground and they will tell you about any special requirements for an individual post or base. You can look up the phone number for just about any military campground at militarycampgrounds.us. This is also the best site I have found to research military campgrounds.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:07 PM   #94

Thanks.
JimFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:26 PM   #95

Just don’t try it it Kalifornia.
Mslaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #96

I served from 1985 to 2008 and Laissez-faire was the norm in the early days. Living on-base my DW felt totally safe. After 9-11, all the armed services changed a tune.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:32 PM   #97

UC Military CG app. Gives lots of info about the Military Campground. Phone, address, lat & long. Best gate, website, etc.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:43 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARADOX-SEV View Post
Very few allow firearms and I never leave home without one.
That has changed a ton with the exception of Nuclear and Intel bases. There is a new form. As long as you fill it out and send it to the PMO either by mail, email or in person you are fine at many. Bragg, Benning, McCoy, Write -Patterson and on I could go. I try strictly to stay on base.

The key to your request is in some cases you intend to hunt or participate in the ranges on base (skeet-whatever)

This is a very touchy topic in the forum so please message me with any further question if you have any of me.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:48 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I also stay away and of course they do not encourage folks to use there camp grounds unless you retired from military very discriminatory as far as I'm concerned. Later RJD
That has also changed at many bases. Example where I am at Ft McCoy 75% of the campers have no military affiliation.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyShope View Post
That has changed a ton with the exception of Nuclear and Intel bases. There is a new form. As long as you fill it out and send it to the PMO either by mail, email or in person you are fine at many. Bragg, Benning, McCoy, Write -Patterson and on I could go. I try strictly to stay on base.

The key to your request is in some cases you intend to hunt or participate in the ranges on base (skeet-whatever)

This is a very touchy topic in the forum so please message me with any further question if you have any of me.

Thanks Tony, I'll make a few calls today and see what answers I get.
PARADOX-SEV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg