Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2017, 12:05 AM   #1

Military Campgrounds No Bargain

I have stayed at several military campgrounds (FAMCAMPS) during the last two years. These campgrounds may have been a bargain in years past but no longer. An overnight stay for $30/night seems to be what they all charge now. Although within reason, this is hardly a steep discount as some would suggest.

As expected, military campgrounds tend to be located in remote locations and the check-in office is always in a different area of the base than the campground. If staying at an Air Force base, be prepared for a lot of jet engine noise. I don't mind the noise all that much, but I don't want to have to pay to hear it.

Unless you have other business at a military base or camp, I see no reason to drive for miles out of the way just to stay there overnight. It just doesn't make good financial sense.

I would hope that FAMCAMPs can do better than this for our country's veterans.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:21 AM   #2

Last year we visited the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL. As a military retiree I automatically made reservations at the RV park aboard Redstone Arsenal thinking that would be cheaper than the RV parks near the Space Center. When I arrived at the Center I stopped at the Center's RV park to find out where and which gate I needed to enter the base. The first thing the gentleman said at the office was that I should have stayed there. He said they were cheaper then on-base with the added benefit of just a five minute walk to the Center.

Semper Fi!
aufinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #3

The engine noise complaint at an AFB made me chuckle.

I think that $30 a night when compared to the outrageous cost of some private parks seems reasonable. Also, when considering the sole purpose isn't to just benefit veterans, programs like that are a source of revenue for other programs that directly benefit the morale of active duty service members. It's kind of a "self licking ice cream cone"
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #4
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I have used them before but not a lot. Never paid over $20 a night..
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:12 PM   #5

sorry, this has nothing to do with camping at military campgrounds, but gave me a huge sense of deja vu. My dad was in the Air Force, and I can remember coming back to visit from college; and asking my mom where all the jets came from. Lived on that Air Force base for 4 years and never 'heard' them.
thanks for the memories.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
Empty Nesters

Vandenberg AFB on the Central Coast of California is holding at $24 for active duty and $26 for retirees for full hookup pull thru. The closest private starts at $55 per night and goes up to over $100 on the weekend with a two night minimum. 20 miles up the coast in Pismo you will find similar rates at the private campgrounds and $50 at the State Parks with partial hookups.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

At many bases (but certainly not all), the FAMCAMP has become a mining source of revenue to supplement the money sucking "clubs" and golf courses.

To keep green fees down and allow the base wives clubs free access to "club improvements" money (I mean Jeez, how many times do we need to change the color of dining room linens?), the fees charged by the money makers keep going up.

The closer you are to winter time attractions, the closer to parity with local RV park costs become. Don't even start talking about Snowbird base destinations.

Northern tier bases are a much better deal for the most part for that very reason. US Military Campgrounds website (free) and software (annual fee) does a great job with up to date reviews on costs, site availability, WiFi, cable etc, and the "big deal", GPS coordinates, procedures, and, routes for on base rig arrival and departure.

WORTH the fee for the software so you have access to database without internet access.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #8

Is FAMCAMP soley an AFB organization?
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #9

Here's a link to the military campgrounds site: U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home

There's a mobile app as well.

Military campgrounds may give some the peace and mind knowing they're safe and secure. I haven't used one yet, but plan to next year.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #10

Color me stupid.... active or DAV military should be free and ??% discount for retired military.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #11
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Color me stupid.... active or DAV military should be free and ??% discount for retired military.
I don't know about any other military campgrounds but the ones located on Camp Lejeune, Cherry Point and New River (all NC) charge the same rate for active and retired.....the only difference is reservations open up for active duty sooner (two weeks I think)

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #12

So active, retired, but not non-lifer veterans?
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #13
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
So active, retired, but not non-lifer veterans?
You must have a valid Military or DOD ID or have someone with a valid ID to sponsor you to rent/reserve anything.

Now I have no clue if they will expand that to include the new "VA Veteran" card or not. (If they ever get that system on line that is)

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:19 PM   #14
Navy06RET

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
I don't know about any other military campgrounds but the ones located on Camp Lejeune, Cherry Point and New River (all NC) charge the same rate for active and retired.....the only difference is reservations open up for active duty sooner (two weeks I think)
Ditto for Florida Navy sites. Plus many have gated non-covered storage facilities that retirees can use for $40-$45/mo.
dascribner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #15
D W

Wow, after reading some of these comments I'm just shaking my head. I was always under the impression that our military installations were operated for National Defense. Some seem to think that they exist solely for leisure and recreational purposes?

I guess some just feel entitled.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #16

mil camp grounds

We have stayed at "Del Mar Beach Camp Pendleton" it is right on the beach and it is about $40 a night, but that is not bad compared to other beach camping.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Wow, after reading some of these comments I'm just shaking my head. I was always under the impression that our military installations were operated for National Defense. Some seem to think that they exist solely for leisure and recreational purposes?

Entitled! Your dam right we are, I put my life on the line for over 20years for ******** to sit back and complain about their rights. Guess what you wouldn't have rights without people like me!!!
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #18

Quote:

And you are "entitled" to be free due to the sacrifice our service members give!

"all gave some, some gave all"
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #19
B47

Quote:

Good point. I'm not sure about now,but back in the heyday of military spending and a lot of military bases, golf courses,officer and nco clubs,swimming pools, officer and nco wives clubs and many other facilities were the norm. Supposedly these facilities were to improve the military quality of life. I think they served their purposes for the most part,but perhaps a few went overboard.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #20

I am retired air force and DW and I have stayed at several of the military famcamps, some on air force bases and some naval installations. Some are nicer than others, but all provide the basic services for a much lower price that the surrounding area. I would say to anyone that does not like the price or services provided, to carry your ass on down the road, no one is forcing you to stay at any given location. Another point I will address. If you want the benefits that military retirees are given, then you should have thought about giving 20 or more years of your life to help protect this land that we call the USA. If you did not do so , then you do not have a vote in the matter.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg