Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2018, 09:17 PM   #1
DnL

Military/Veteran Medical

Any military/retirees that can give me advice about prescription refills on the road? Can I take a prescription to any military pharmacy for a refill? How does that work?
DnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:14 PM   #2

You shouldn't have a problem getting prescription refills since Tricare uses Express scripts. As for new prescriptions, they just have to contact or you have to contact your doctor and have them fax a new prescription to Express /Scripts
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #3

Just saw this. If your prescription is from a military pharmacy you can take you vial to any military pharmacy and they will have it transfered to them and fill it.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #4
Sunseeker 2400MBW

It will go easy unless it's a controlled medication or expired prescription or some providers require lab work to go with a refill of certain medications. I would allow lots of extra time till you get the hang of it and don't wait until you're completely out. Give yourself a few days at minimum.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #5

I've never tried unless I still have a refill. They did say give them q4 hrs for the transfer
Old 12-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #6

Lol
24hrs
Old 12-18-2018, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnL View Post
Any military/retirees that can give me advice about prescription refills on the road? Can I take a prescription to any military pharmacy for a refill? How does that work?

Are you close enough that you could call/go to a military pharmacy and get an answer from the pharmacy itself? We used Express Scripts for a while, until they started that co-pay requirement. Some meds require a lab check every 90 days before refilling because they are toxic to the liver, kidneys etc. If you can, let us know what you find out please. Also check if the requirements are service specif. In other words, Will/Can an Army pharmacy fill a Navy or Air Force script.

Great question, wish I could help more and am looking forward to answers.
Don
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:28 PM   #8

We're ret. Navy live near a Marine base in Cali. Refilled scripts in Alabama at an air force base this past summer. All services are moving towards combined military medical in a few years we'll see how that goes
Old 02-26-2019, 09:48 PM   #9

Got a refill while in Branson a while back at the VA clinic. Called ahead and they had it waiting for me when I got there.
GerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #10
waybeck2018

Be sure you have an online account with Express Scripts. That way you can change mail addresses if you are sure where you will be. And, like some others said, give them 3-4 days to get it filled and mailed out. Also, if you have a good relationship with your doctor they can send your prescription electronically to a TriCare approved Pharmacy. Walgreen and Rite Aid are two that come to mind that may be more common nation wide. They no longer approve scripts for CVS, which I really prefer to use.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:53 PM   #11

If there is a chance of running out of any prescription while on the road; if requested, before you start your trip, Express Scripts will issue a 90 day supply for any and all prescriptions early for vacation purposes. Don't know if this helps the OP or not.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:01 PM   #12

Get my health vet.com. You can call up any medical file, x-rays, or perscriptions right up from that website. You can always show any V A medical center. Worked for me in south Dakota.

Tbd
2020 Trailhawk toad
Semper Fi
Pillboxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #13
On the road again...

Meds

I had ordered meds before I went on a trip to Hawaii but they didn't arrive before I left. Got to Kauai, went to the local VA and they said the easiest thing to do was be in their system(Asia/Pacific) and they would get them. The meds were delivered to my hotel desk from the pharmacy in Honolulu! Outstanding service! I love VA because they can look in the computer, find you, and take care of you. So now when I'm in Hawaii I'm covered. When I Motorhome to other states and see a VA clinic I check with them on this and they say no problem. Maybe I'm just a lucky guy.

2015 Coachmen Encounter
2001 CRV Toad
Let's go campin'!
MMMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #14

We are getting ready for a 4 month trip to Alaska this summer so I asked my military pharmacy that question. They suggested getting a paper copy of the prescriptions from our doctor and taking them with us. When prescriptions need to be refilled, take the paper prescriptions to the nearest military pharmacy and they can fill them there, maybe while I wait. Otherwise I could take the prescription bottles in and they would need to contact my home military pharmacy to have the prescriptions transferred which could take several days.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammin View Post
We are getting ready for a 4 month trip to Alaska this summer so I asked my military pharmacy that question. They suggested getting a paper copy of the prescriptions from our doctor and taking them with us. When prescriptions need to be refilled, take the paper prescriptions to the nearest military pharmacy and they can fill them there, maybe while I wait. Otherwise I could take the prescription bottles in and they would need to contact my home military pharmacy to have the prescriptions transferred which could take several days.

I'm former military but don't qualify for full VA benefits. I will say that the "get paper prescription" suggestion works great for those of us on Medicare/Private insurance too.

I merely talk to my Dr's office, tell them what I'm going to be doing and what I need. At first they told me they could fax prescriptions to any pharmacy I designated until I told them I didn't necessarily know what town I'd be in when I needed refills.

I was able to get refills by carrying the paper prescription in a town along the way that had ONE pharmacy that I was just passing through - while I waited.

It also helps if you are taking generic's versus "brand names" which I'm fortunate enough to be able to get by on.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:09 PM   #16

I just go to Walgreens and get any scripts I or the wife need. I don't bother with VA, on base, or Express Scripts. Walgreens, Walmart, and others are on the approved list to fill Tricare scripts.

I lived in Alaska for 10 years. It is easy as pie to get a script filled. There are military bases all over the place and there are commercial pharmacies that can fill a script.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #17

I still take a controlled EXPENSIVE chemo pill daily to control my Acute Leukemia and we were in south Texas last winter and they sent it to me there the VA that is. Sadly we will not be able to go this winter because of my Acute Leukemia.
Brucecav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #18

Just an FYI: If you use a C-Pap machine always carry a PAPER copy of your prescription (machine settings) when you travel. Not all states will except a faxed copy of your C-Pap info (RX) and if you are in another state and your machine breaks you need paper proof of your prescription if you need to buy another machine. Yes, your insurance may pay for the machine but if you are like me and you CAN'T sleep without the machine you may not want to stay awake for that couple of days until your insurance company (Tricare) can authorize another machine. Tricare will usually reimburse you if you have to purchase an emergency replacement machine but it may take a couple of phone calls and a few forms filled out.
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote