Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2019, 05:27 AM   #1

National Center Records Arcives

As a former Military Veteran, have you ever thought about obtaining your Military Service Records? Military Service Awards/Ribbons, Copies of your DD-214 or other military Records?

As all vets should know our service records were sent to St Luis, MO and placed in the National Center Records Archives, and sometime back there was a fire and some older records were lost. But if interested here is what you do. Click the link and "NOTE at the end of the website link is GOV" short for Government website so something this official never clicks, on a .com site.

Once you click the link look on top for VETERAN'S SERVICE RECORDS and click, Now look for Military Service Records and read instructions and obtain the above documents and awards.

I saw this posted in one of my old military unit newsletters and it was a year before I even tried and took about 4 to 8 weeks for all of it to arrive. Now I will tell you that when you send in your request you will be given a number (Example 321-765432) Make sure to keep that number as the center gets a lot of request for copies and if anything gos back to your Military Branch of Service that number will be needed for follow up. So be sure to keep the number given.

Be Safe, Happy Travels and Trails. Enjoy them Drives and Dives.

Here is the link:
https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center
Old 12-03-2019, 10:20 PM   #2
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMan635 View Post
As a former Military Veteran, have you ever thought about obtaining your Military Service Records? Military Service Awards/Ribbons, Copies of your DD-214 or other military Records?

As all vets should know our service records were sent to St Luis, MO and placed in the National Center Records Archives, and sometime back there was a fire and some older records were lost. But if interested here is what you do. Click the link and "NOTE at the end of the website link is GOV" short for Government website so something this official never clicks, on a .com site.

Once you click the link look on top for VETERAN'S SERVICE RECORDS and click, Now look for Military Service Records and read instructions and obtain the above documents and awards.

I saw this posted in one of my old military unit newsletters and it was a year before I even tried and took about 4 to 8 weeks for all of it to arrive. Now I will tell you that when you send in your request you will be given a number (Example 321-765432) Make sure to keep that number as the center gets a lot of request for copies and if anything gos back to your Military Branch of Service that number will be needed for follow up. So be sure to keep the number given.

Be Safe, Happy Travels and Trails. Enjoy them Drives and Dives.

Here is the link:
https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center

I have also used this web site to get some Agent Orange service documentation for Blue Water Navy. Took over three months but finally got it. An excellent resource.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #3

Sent away for mine a few years back. I got a package about 1.5 inches thick of paperwork. Pretty much every sheet of paper the Navy had on me except the ones I need to file a VA claim.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
D W

The fire at the NPRC in St Louis was in 1973. They estimated around 18 million Official Military Personnel Files were destroyed in the fire. Some veterans were able to reconstruct their files with personal copies of documents, others were not so fortunate. Many had to hunt down witnesses and create sworn affidavits. For some this took years. Shortly after the fire, Army Command Channels suggested that we all maintain our own copies of everything in our 201 files. Many States also starting letting veterans file copies of their DD-214's in official archives free of charge.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
military