Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2022, 04:24 PM   #1
Director, FROG

NPS Veterans, Active Duty, Gold Star Family Pass

Many of our members who are U.S. Military Veterans might already be aware of this but it bears repeating.

The National Park Service, in partnership with Operation Live Well, would like to thank military personnel and their families for their service and invite them to enjoy their national parks.

The free Military Pass is a way to thank current US military members and their dependents, Gold Star Families, and US military veterans for their support of our country and to encourage them to explore recreational opportunities on their public lands and waters.

A free lifetime Military Pass is available for Gold Star Families and US military veterans. A free annual Military Pass is available for current US military members and their dependents.

The passes provide free access to more than 2,000 federal recreation areas, including national parks, wildlife refuges, and forests.

For complete information, go to National Park Service Military Pass

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:26 PM   #2

Thanks for posting that, Bob. I had a Senior Pass but lost it in the Grand Canyon in 2017. I tried to get a Military Pass when visiting Las Vegas in 2021, but the Ranger said they didn't have the forms yet--he just waved me past the gate.

Now I can get one just 44 miles from home.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Thanks for posting that, Bob. I had a Senior Pass but lost it in the Grand Canyon in 2017. I tried to get a Military Pass when visiting Las Vegas in 2021, but the Ranger said they didn't have the forms yet--he just waved me past the gate.

Now I can get one just 44 miles from home.

Here is information on all the passes available.
https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:15 PM   #4

Thanks Bob we will go 10 miles down the road and see if we can get one. Thanks again
CampinGpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:44 PM   #5

Free in person or $10 from the USGS store for a veteran. I need to find the closest NP or I’ll pay the $10 to get the lifetime pass before they screw it up.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 05:14 PM   #6

Thanks for posting! I just purchased my lifetime one...
smirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:03 AM   #7

I purchased mine a few weeks ago, it arrived this week...
Marine - retired
rowdy boys 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:33 AM   #8

You can use the National Parks passes for a reduction of camping fees too.
Can be used in many campgrounds run by different Federal Agencies
Army Corps of Engineers .......https://www.recreation.gov/

Some STATE run campgrounds will give you a discount as well if you are not a resident of that state but have the NP passes
Old 03-12-2023, 10:39 PM   #9

Locations to get a pass

There are hundreds of places to get an America the Beautiful pass, not necessarily NPS sites. Here's a link to all the locations, sorted by state, where you can get a pass, whether senior, military, Access, or just the annual pass.

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/pi...-locations.htm
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:04 AM   #10

Must say thank you for posting, I know when I went to Grand Canyon they asked if I was a veteran. I am but was only issued an ID for year after discharge. When I told her I was and she asked for my ID I told her not veterans got them. I got the strangest look. I told her I didn’t mind paying full price. I see now I qualify for an ID for discounts, I always assumed I was done.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:48 AM   #11

Here in NM our driver's license is annotated veteran. That alone is sufficient, or a copy of your DD214 will work also. VA ID card also. Almost anything showing active duty service is accepted. Heck they are so loose even a photo of you in your uniform might work!
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:40 AM   #12

I purchased mine at the NPS website, since my local NPS Park had no staff during the weekday. Received it in about 2 weeks and used to visit Yosemite NP back in February and it was so easy to use--flash the card and they gave me my daily pass for my vehicle and my 3 passengers at no cost! Once again a great service to us US Military Retired.
S.Edington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:56 PM   #13

Received mine last week too, quick turnaround time.
Here lies dead and hard,
the last damn dog
that pooped in my yard
Silver Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 04:15 PM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalguy View Post
Here in NM our driver's license is annotated veteran. That alone is sufficient, or a copy of your DD214 will work also. VA ID card also. Almost anything showing active duty service is accepted. Heck they are so loose even a photo of you in your uniform might work!
It's nice NJ puts veteran status on DL too. My county also issued me a veteran's ID card based on my DD214. Can't get into VA, they rejected me saying I made too much money (in my county if your household is over 64k annually, you make too much to get VA benefits. Absurd).
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 09:31 PM   #15
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
It's nice NJ puts veteran status on DL too. My county also issued me a veteran's ID card based on my DD214. Can't get into VA, they rejected me saying I made too much money (in my county if your household is over 64k annually, you make too much to get VA benefits. Absurd).
Say what? It doesn't seem that a county, or otherwise should deny you VA benefits. Seems like that should be a government thing, not a local thing. Can't say as I've ever heard of anything like this before.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 09:39 PM   #16

VA has a maximum income level, which increases with the number of dependants. If you're in group 8, you may have a long wait for treatment.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 07:39 AM   #17
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Say what? It doesn't seem that a county, or otherwise should deny you VA benefits. Seems like that should be a government thing, not a local thing. Can't say as I've ever heard of anything like this before.
It IS the feds! The VA itself rejected my application, on the grounds that 64k per year household income is too much (apparently based on the county I live in, this figure varies depending on what county you live in).

What's really funny is it's one of the wealthiest counties in America, making me probably on the low end of income here!
Old 08-03-2023, 08:38 AM   #18

Thanks for sharing!! Just purchased lifetime.

Who went in the way before you, to search you out a place to pitch your tents in, in fire by night, to shew you by what way ye should go, and in a cloud by day.

Deuteronomy 1:33
auroraRNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:00 AM   #19

Let's be specific

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
It IS the feds! The VA itself rejected my application, on the grounds that 64k per year household income is too much (apparently based on the county I live in, this figure varies depending on what county you live in).

What's really funny is it's one of the wealthiest counties in America, making me probably on the low end of income here!
Let's be specific here. You should be able to get a VA mortgage and VA education benefits. The only thing you aren't getting is medical benefits, right?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 11:27 AM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Let's be specific here. You should be able to get a VA mortgage and VA education benefits. The only thing you aren't getting is medical benefits, right?
I'm not aware of being eligible for any of those, moot points anyhow, since mortgage is paid off and long ago educated. I served 83-87. All I had back then was called VEAP, veterans education assistance program, which was a matching savings plan (I think they matched every dollar I put into it, dollar for dollar). For medical, I'm going to try to file for disability for all the hearing loss I had while I was in (documented in my separation physical, but I declined disability at the time, thinking it would hurt my chances to return as a pilot). I know if they give you a disability it would be covered.