Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #1

On active duty in my RV

Army officer, single 31-year-old with cat and dog. Just got a 2007 FR Georgetown 350DS. Has given me a great deal of flexibility which is needed for us military types. Based in Fort Hood, Texas area.....at least for now! Got a great deal on the rig with only 10k miles, but quite a bit of wear due to a lot of time in storage in the texas sun.

I would love to make new friends online, or real life if you're passing through.

This community has already helped me see my first electrical issue so im grateful!
K8mor10sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #2

A friend of mine did that exact thing at Ft Hood when he was single. He said it was great.

You’ll probably have to move sites every month or so, but should be easy.

Welcome and good luck.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:54 PM   #3

I did just that for ten out my twenty years with the Navy. Sure made it easy every time I received new orders; until, getting orders to Hawaii.
notaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

Welcome from down the road a bit (just north of Houston). It sounds great, but like notaz3 said, if you get overseas orders, or deployed, the rig sits again for however long. Do you have plans for that? Anyway, keep us posted, and hope to see you down the road!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #5

Congrats on your rig!
And THANK YOU for your service!!!!!!!
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #6
pburch

On active duty in my RV

Congrats on you rig! Thank you for your service! Army Veteran here...
2021 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L 4 x 4 3.73 Gear 6' 4" Bed
Along with "Abby" and "Charlie" our Fur Babies
pburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #7
jkoenig24

Welcome K8mor10sen!
Get a CAREFUL and THOROUGH inspection (especially of the roof) done. Although it could be expensive, having a Master Certified RV Technician perform a careful inspection could save you money in the long run. EVERYWHERE something went through the roof (vent pipes, fridge vent, coax cables etc) needs to be checked and resealed if said penetration is even remotely questionable. If the roof seals have failed, you may have bought more trouble than the RV is worth. The tires are probably shot as well as the batteries. You should THOROUGHLY sanitize the water tanks and systems. If this unit has slide seals, I'd be surprised if they didn't need to be replaced. You have a LOT of work ahead of you. There ARE lots of YouTube videos that can be of help but, some things like the propane system, need special tools to check and calibrate if necessary. Propane problems can be VERY SERIOUS; you need that system to be done right.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 04:25 PM   #8

Congratulations on the rig. As others have said do get it inspected, with close attention paid to the roof. I retired from the Navy in 05. I never thought of getting a camper to reside in while I was on active duty. I truly wished I had done that for my 16 years in SoCal.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:15 PM   #9

active duty

First thought, Kudos on Koenigs post. Absolutely get someone to look over the roof, then the rest of the systems. Someone other than a dealer. As you follow him through, you will learn how to fix or maintain each system.
Things like changing the sacrificial anode in the water heater, checking the power at the post for low or high voltage or ground faults. Other stuff like that.
2d thought, Join Vet Tix dot org. If you aren't already a member, free entry to certain events, concerts, shows, Ren Faire, etc. San Antonio, Corpus, Austin, and DFW. Free to Mil and Vets. If you hunt, you should have access to some good spots at Hood, or at any of the southwest Mil properties. Check with MWR.
If you travel to Kerrville for any of our events or activities, give me a holler, at hankpac@yahoo.com.

Good luck, and welcome
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:10 PM   #10

My daughter and her husband did the same thing at Fort Hood also about 5 years ago, He has gotten out of the Army since then now with 3 kids they are looking at going camping again.
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #11

Thanks for your service, take the time to lube everything, check the seals closely. From an old army mechanic, if it moves lube it, if it shouldn't and does, find out why. Take the time to learn about things on your rig, look up the history and see the common problems so you can keep an eye on things. Get out and enjoy it, lots of places to camp right around Ft. Hood area.
2017 Hyundai Santa Fe
Armywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #12

I didn't mention I was also stationed at Fort Hood, back in the mid 70s, we use to go camping there too, oh wait back then we didn't call it camping.
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote