Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2019, 09:23 PM   #1
Tom

Retired Reservist

Just wondering how many other retired reservists were able to retire from their civilian jobs at age 60 because of the pension and health insurance. This was the best decision I ever made in my life and am so grateful. I hear so many active duty complain about Tricare because it is not entirely free but so many people have to work to 65 to receive Medicare.
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #2

Seachaser, glad you were able to retire and realize some of the bennies you have earned. Though Tricare is not free at retirement it is at age 65 when you are eligible for Tricare for Life. It then becomes free. I retired from AD at age 62. Paid the monthly Tricare fee and copay which was minimal. Since turning 65 wife and I pay nothing nor do we pay copays. Dental is a horse of another color. Thank you for the sacrifices to your country.
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:00 PM   #3

Retired from guard in 2001 had 11 traditional and 14 AGR. 70% disabled and started drawing retired pay 2 years ago, started SSN back in December. Retired from state of Indiana in November. My wife and I both went on Tricare at age 60 but it doesn’t cost me anything because of disability. When I turned 62 I don’t have to pay property taxes anymore in Indiana because of the disability as well. VA pays for all my health care except dental, but my wife works for a dentist so that end is covered as well.
Turtle47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachaser186 View Post
Just wondering how many other retired reservists were able to retire from their civilian jobs at age 60 because of the pension and health insurance. This was the best decision I ever made in my life and am so grateful. I hear so many active duty complain about Tricare because it is not entirely free but so many people have to work to 65 to receive Medicare.
I'm a grey-area retiree, 21 years in the Navy and Navy Reserves. I last drilled in 2011, but I won't receive my first retirement check until after my birthday in 2 1/2 years at age 59. I get that a year early because of my time in Afghanistan. Anyways, I figure to retire from my civilian job about age 64-65. My wife is two years younger and plans to retire at age 62. I won't be too far behind her.

In the meantime, I'm going to practice retirement, one weekend at a time.
streittk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by streittk View Post
I'm a grey-area retiree, 21 years in the Navy and Navy Reserves. I last drilled in 2011, but I won't receive my first retirement check until after my birthday in 2 1/2 years at age 59. I get that a year early because of my time in Afghanistan. Anyways, I figure to retire from my civilian job about age 64-65. My wife is two years younger and plans to retire at age 62. I won't be too far behind her.

In the meantime, I'm going to practice retirement, one weekend at a time.
Practice practice practixe, we must maintain our profeciency
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:36 PM   #6
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshaynes View Post
Seachaser, glad you were able to retire and realize some of the bennies you have earned. Though Tricare is not free at retirement it is at age 65 when you are eligible for Tricare for Life. It then becomes free. I retired from AD at age 62. Paid the monthly Tricare fee and copay which was minimal. Since turning 65 wife and I pay nothing nor do we pay copays. Dental is a horse of another color. Thank you for the sacrifices to your country.
Yes, for now TFL is free for us. But, the good old government CBO is working hard to change that with a proposed enrollment fee of $485.00 single annually starting in 2021 as well as out of pocket expense up to the first $750.00. I suggest we all stay updated on this and write our representatives to remind them we have already paid a price and deserve what we were promised. And folks, this is coming up for consideration in this Congress. CBO is also wanting to raise TRICARE Prime and Select for the spouses that may be under 65, or even service members under 65 and not on active duty. CHeck with yor Service Organizations, i.e. DAV, VFW etc for the most recent status of CBO actions and decisions.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:24 AM   #7

Something I didn’t know. The thing for everyone to do is write there congress person. Enough letters gets there attention. 2020 is voting
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:17 AM   #8

I retired the month I turned 60. It was the month I reached 20 years for retirement purposes at my State of Alaska job, the month I became eligible for free (to me) health care from my state job and, obviously, the month my military retirement pay kicked in. As for paying for Tricare, I have never had to pay for it.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:15 AM   #9

If one is eligible for medicare and eligible for TFL then part B medicare must also be maintained and paid for by the recipient annually. TFL is the part B payer. Typically with medicare A and TFL part B there is no cost involved for medical services.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:31 AM   #10

I have TFL and Medicare and a couple of years ago I had a ablation done at Duke University hospital for AFib, it cost $100,000.00 and cost to me was zero.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachaser186 View Post

I had 33.5 years Army Guard in Ohio. Tricare For Life and Medicare are a God send.. Military duty was one of the best decisions of my life. My recent purchase of a Grey Wolf 23MKBL will be a new adventure as I journey into my 7th decade.
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:40 AM   #12
Wanderluster

I did 15 years on active duty, then went into the Reserves, while I continued in my civilian career (Federal civil service). I just retired from Federal service in 2019 at age 55 with 35 years of total service (because I "bought back" my active duty time). So, now I'm just waiting to turn 60 when I can start drawing my Army retired pay and get medical benefits from Tricare.
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
JACA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire