Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
It really depends on the product. And the promotion.

For example, on shopmyexchange.com, today and tomorrow, they are giving an extra 30% off on most clearance prices. Some .22LR ammo, normally 8.99 for 100, is clearanced for 4.97. 30% off makes it less than $3.50 or less than 3.5 cents per round!

Vets should ignore the negativity and check it out. They will find some really good deals. This is a spectacular benefit.

Full disclosure: I sell guns for the Exchange.
I just signed up and took a look at the ammo and it looks like to me that the $4.97 is the price with the 30% off already. Do you see something different?
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:17 AM   #22
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmtnrider View Post
I just signed up and took a look at the ammo and it looks like to me that the $4.97 is the price with the 30% off already. Do you see something different?

The additional 30% is supposed to show up when you put the item in your cart.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #23

Quote:
They don’t “have issues”. They just don’t match “door busters”. With good reason—if you think about it.

What did I “list” that was excluded?

Bottom line, if we ignore the back-and-forth that resulted from someone having “issues” with the Exchange, is that beginning on Veteran’s Day, vets can shop at the Exchange’s online store, shopmyexchange.com.

Prices are generally markedly lower than at other retailers.

You don’t pay sales or use taxes. (Technically, in most States, even when you don’t pay sales taxes online, you are still required to pay use tax on your State return. Not so on purchases from the Exchange.)

On the same item, new, they match other online retailers—with some reasonable exclusions.

Exchange in-house brands have remarkable quality for the price—especially clothing.

The Exchange online store runs some amazing specials. Today, you can get an additional 30% off most clearance prices!

Free shipping on purchases over $50 or if you use the Star Card.

The Star Card is one of the friendliest no-fee, rewards cards there is. Check to see if you qualify.

Visit VetVerify.org to start the process and check your eligibility.

Oh, and all profits go to the soldiers and airmen through MWR and Services programs. There are no “owners” being made rich by your patronage.

Thanks for serving.
Clearance and closeout items are listed as excluded, as I quoted above. I am not having issues with the exchange. The exchange has had issues, period. Yes, they have tried to address many of those price matching issues over the years. Have they solved them all, well no.

Again, I think everyone eligible should look at the exchange for comparison pricing. However, as a prospective customer at any retailer, do not go forward with rose colored marketing hype glasses on, as portrayed above. Compare total pricing on your item(s) and make an informed decision.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:25 PM   #24
PhD, Common Sense

Yes. The Exchange does not match clearance and close out prices from competitions. I don’t know of a retailer that does.

I’m done replying to this guy. Ignore his griping and judge for yourselves.

This is an opportunity that vets did not have before. I will answer any questions you have, but will ignore any hijacking-bellyaching.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:48 PM   #25

Base exchange

Hi Folks! I'm a military retiree! My German wife of 53 years can make a dollar stretch from California to Germany! Here are a couple of tips! 1. Prices for the same items vary between the different exchanges even in the same city! 2. Prices off base are often cheaper, but always consider the sales tax in your area and when on the road! 3. Prices on base are also often cheaper excluding the tax savings. 4. So, comparative shopping is a smart thing to do if you have and take the time! If you see sales advertised on base, get there early just as you would in a civilian store! We do, in fact save a lot of money on the road when near a military base! The same holds true for the Commissary where most prices are 20% lower than on the local economy! But we don't go out of our way when traveling to look for a military base! BTW, gasoline is usually 10 cents a gallon less expensive everywhere! Diesel 10 to 20 cents less per gallon than on the economy! Great travels! Dan & Gerda
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Yes. The Exchange does not match clearance and close out prices from competitions. I don’t know of a retailer that does.

I’m done replying to this guy. Ignore his griping and judge for yourselves.

This is an opportunity that vets did not have before. I will answer any questions you have, but will ignore any hijacking-bellyaching.
Ha, you have taken every effort to respond to every post I made attempting to discredit my opinion. You are on here representing yourself as an AAFES employee, so act like one. I am just a customer of the exchange for over 30 years. My opinion is just as good (or bad as yours) except you have some real skin in the game since you sell for the PX. Feel free to keep your opinion of me to yourself. . .
Old 10-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan n Gerda View Post
Hi Folks! I'm a military retiree! My German wife of 53 years can make a dollar stretch from California to Germany! Here are a couple of tips! 1. Prices for the same items vary between the different exchanges even in the same city! 2. Prices off base are often cheaper, but always consider the sales tax in your area and when on the road! 3. Prices on base are also often cheaper excluding the tax savings. 4. So, comparative shopping is a smart thing to do if you have and take the time! If you see sales advertised on base, get there early just as you would in a civilian store! We do, in fact save a lot of money on the road when near a military base! The same holds true for the Commissary where most prices are 20% lower than on the local economy! But we don't go out of our way when traveling to look for a military base! BTW, gasoline is usually 10 cents a gallon less expensive everywhere! Diesel 10 to 20 cents less per gallon than on the economy! Great travels! Dan & Gerda
100% agree here!
Old 10-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #28

Personally I use the Exchange when near one but I'm not going across town to purchase a shirt (they don't carry my sizes anyway). I like it because it is a way to help the current military folks. I remember renting a camper when stationed at Tyndall AFB when a lowly E4. I couldn't afford one off base but could on base. Think of the trips and other recreational things MWR provides, that is my thinking. I'm helping others afford or enjoy something they couldn't if not for MWR.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPP View Post
Personally I use the Exchange when near one but I'm not going across town to purchase a shirt (they don't carry my sizes anyway). I like it because it is a way to help the current military folks. I remember renting a camper when stationed at Tyndall AFB when a lowly E4. I couldn't afford one off base but could on base. Think of the trips and other recreational things MWR provides, that is my thinking. I'm helping others afford or enjoy something they couldn't if not for MWR.
Yes, public info says that AAFES has averaged giving $193 Million dollars a year to MWR. That average has risen a bit in recent years.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #30
PhD, Common Sense

Veterans and Exchange Usage

Folks are still trying to take this thread off topic.

Veterans, beginning 11/11, you have a new benefit: You can shop at the Exchange online at shopmyexchange.com. If you are not an ID card holder, you must go to VetVerify.org first to establish your credentials.

If you have any questions about your benefit, please ask. If I don’t know, I will find out. Thanks for your service.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:59 PM   #31
WaitnToRide

Military exchange usage

This will be a sometimes great benefit. If they still operate like they did when I was in, all of the profits above cost and operations go to the military welfare and recreation fund. It helps provide for sports equipment, ball field maintenance, pool operations, etc for our military members. So even if the item is a break even proposition for you, it will help our military personnel.
Windspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:08 PM   #32
RetiredRVer

Thanks for the info eye95. I will start using this benefit in Nov, as a USAF veteran. (Not a retiree.) And as my Dad always told me... "you can give folks a free lunch, and there will always be someone who complains about what was served!"
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Just prepare to be underwhelmed, by the pricing. If the item costs enough, you will save the tax and that is about it. Amazon is still cheaper in many cases.
One of the ideas of bringing this forth, is to increase the audience so the products can be more competitively priced.

Due to the Amazon's and Walmart's of the world PX's are increasingly more difficult for bases to even have.

They do price match in a limited manner.

I hope the implementation brings the pricing down.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #34
Site Team

Thanks for the tip.
I got my email notification this morning that I am "verified"!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #35
PhD, Common Sense

Thanks for your service.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for your service.
Thank you. I appreciate it.

I was working in the Pentagon as a civilian keeping/managing/reporting from Viet Nam databases when I got drafted. I wasn't at all happy since we also learned the day I got my draft papers that we were expecting our first baby (she's now 47.5 years old)!

But I did what was required as a duty to my country and spent a couple of years at Ft. Hood in central Texas. Now I have the word VETERAN on my driver's license.

BTW, even though I received my "verified" email, the system says it doesn't know me when I attempt to register an account on https://www.shopmyexchange.com. I'll have to do more research.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 10-23-2017, 11:31 AM   #37
RetiredRVer

Please let us know the results of your research, Mr. Dan! Thanks.
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #38

Quote:
BTW, even though I received my "verified" email, the system says it doesn't know me when I attempt to register an account on https://www.shopmyexchange.com. I'll have to do more research.
DITTO. Got verified, but was not able to set up the account. Maybe need to wait
until 11/11.

OKAY, just called the site. Very nice lady verified the need to wait until 11/11 before an account can be set up ( after going through the VERIFY page ).

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #39
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Thank you. I appreciate it.

I was working in the Pentagon as a civilian keeping/managing/reporting from Viet Nam databases when I got drafted. I wasn't at all happy since we also learned the day I got my draft papers that we were expecting our first baby (she's now 47.5 years old)!

But I did what was required as a duty to my country and spent a couple of years at Ft. Hood in central Texas. Now I have the word VETERAN on my driver's license.

You may not be able to log on to shopmyexchange.com until 11/11. That’s when the benefit begins, Veterans Day.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:40 PM   #40
Site Team

Veterans and Exchange Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
DITTO. Got verified, but was not able to set up the account. Maybe need to wait
until 11/11.

OKAY, just called the site. Very nice lady verified the need to wait until 11/11 before an account can be set up ( after going through the VERIFY page ).

Tuckerdog1
So while I was eating my tuna sandwich beside the lake, Fred did the research for me! Thanks, Tuckerdog1.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9503.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	154811