Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2020, 02:06 PM   #1
waybeck2018

Wonderful Experience on Christmas Eve

I typically identify as a veteran by wearing a ball cap or shirt indicating Navy service. Now and then some will thank me for my service. Yesterday while doing necessary Christmas Eve shopping I happened to be wearing my Vietnam Veteran ball cap. Much to my surprise and pleasure I received four "Thank you for your Service" comments and three "Welcome Home" comments (NAM vets will certainly appreciate that one). Emotion overtook me as I thanked each of them. This all happened within 20 minutes of each other. Then while at a diesel fill up stop, two more thanks for my service comments. No matter the reason all this happened today, be it gratitude or the Christmas spirit. I appreciated every single one. And to you, my fellow veterans, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE and Merry Christmas!

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #2

Nice story and thank you.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #3

USN 78~82 EN5. USS Newport LST 1179
HarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

wayback, I wear my hat too sometimes, and while it's nice when somebody says, "Thank you for your service", it sounds a little cliche to me. So a few weeks ago walking into Tractor Supply, I was taken aback when a fellow walking past me said, "Thank you for my freedom". I turned around and said, "hey!". He turned around and I told him that was the first time I ever heard that, and it really meant a lot to me. He gave me a grin and a thumbs up, and I think it made both of our days.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:03 PM   #5
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
wayback, I wear my hat too sometimes, and while it's nice when somebody says, "Thank you for your service", it sounds a little cliche to me. So a few weeks ago walking into Tractor Supply, I was taken aback when a fellow walking past me said, "Thank you for my freedom". I turned around and said, "hey!". He turned around and I told him that was the first time I ever heard that, and it really meant a lot to me. He gave me a grin and a thumbs up, and I think it made both of our days.

NJ Kris, thanks for that response. Now and then people will ask me the proper way to thank a Vietnam Vet. My response is " a smile and a WELCOME HOME". And throw in a handshake once COVID is over.. Means a lot to me since we never got welcomed back home. I will never forget the eggs and rotton vegatables along with a rock now and then.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:05 PM   #6
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarMar View Post
USN 78~82 EN5. USS Newport LST 1179

I got commissioned on USS Manitowoc LST 1181 in 1979. Them rough riding hulls were miserable.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:40 PM   #7

I've found that when out and about with my "Vet's Hat" I get thanked for my service not only by people from my generation but kids who just recently graduated from High School as well. Even received a "Thank You" card the size of a business card the individual had printed at his own expense and hands out several a day.

A far cry from when I returned from overseas and was advised to change into civies as soon as possible. Some in uniform only got spit on. Ohers weren't so lucky and got hit with paint and "body waste". That was back when some idiot tried to blow up my old ROTC building at the UW ( WA, not WI).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

I don't know how you guys dealt with such horrible people, the opposite of the thank you people. I'm afraid I would turn what I was trained to do best on them.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:10 AM   #9
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I don't know how you guys dealt with such horrible people, the opposite of the thank you people. I'm afraid I would turn what I was trained to do best on them.

Kris, we were advised what to expect upon returning home, and told to either change to civvies or just ignore it. Right! Easy to say but hard to do.

A fun memory from the early 70's while on shore duty. Protestors were going to breach our doors and enter my command building. This was January in upstate New York. We had some guys, me included on the roof with fire hoses. Just so happened the Fire Chief was a vet and he accommodated us by providing extra hoses, tri adapters and nozzles. We had two hydrants on the compound. Needless to say after a dozen hoses trained on them with full water pressure they never got closer than 25 feet to the door. That was a mark we had on the snow and sidewalk for turning the hoses on them. That was the standing order and a senior guy on the roof ordered the water to commence! It was great to see that long nasty hair of many of them and beards with ice in it. Lots of them rolling their a** over in the snow and ice. I have to admit it felt good.