Old 11-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #1

Adventure Bikes?

Tried to reply to the 'Not many dual sports...' but it's too old. Me too. Nowadays Dual Sports are "Adventure Bikes"... I've had many starting with a '65 Honda Benley Touring - took it off-road a lot. Yeah, I know, but I didn't know any better... (:> '70 Trail Boss, '70 SL350, '70 DT1, '74 DT125, '77 TS185, '08 KLR, '15 F700GS, '17 Africa Twin.
Have ridden motorcycles all my life, all I really ever wanted to do. Have taken many a long cycle trip, but since retiring in in 2011, I've started snowbirding to get away from the long winters in Northern Wisconsin ( GO PACK GO!!!! )...
I built a Rolling Man Cave out of a 7x14 FR Toy Hauler. Simple but does the job for a simple single man. Holds me and my bike. I go to Texas in February, April along the Gulf Coast, through part of FL, up to Northern Georgia ( Motorcycle Heaven ) for a few weeks then home. My iron companion has been a BMW F700GS, Triumph Trophy SE ( not Adventure/DS but wailiin!! ), but now it is a '17 Honda Africa Twin, perhaps the best motorcycle I've ever owned...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATwinDana.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	219576   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATwinFrio.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	219577  
JanFMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
Brake is on left

I used to do the ADV thing myself. Then got back into the racing scene. Took my BMW R1200 all over from Quebec to Key West. Now I put a couple thousand miles on the Yamaha R6 racing up and down the east coast.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0075.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	486.5 KB
ID:	219614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG950490.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	219615  
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #3

Missed this! I'm an avid Adventure rider. I've done 5 of the Back Country Discovery Routes and have another planned for mid summer. With the exception of 1, I have done them all solo. I currently ride a Moto Guzzi Stelvio and have about 30k on the clock. (I still work fulltime) I figure I'm a 60% on road, 40% off road, Adventure rider. I have literally ridden from the Nogales border in AZ, to the Canadian border, off road. Well, MOSTLY in the dirt!
This past January, I met up with a group of guys from another forum and spent 4 days in Death Valley riding and camping. We had never ridden together, or met actually, before the ride. Probably one of the best rides I've done with a group! None of us were from the same state, and a couple were European transplants. Never did find the guy from Germany, although we kept hearing about him!
I too have ridden my whole life, and spent the 80's road racing.
I absolutely love the Stelvio. I had a KTM 990 before it and put over 50,000 miles on it before trading it in.
Contrary to popular belief, they are lighter than a BMW GSA, (published weight for the Guzzi vs the BMW does not allow for the lack of panniers, running lights, engine protection, top box with the GSA. ALL of that equipment is stock on the Moto Guzzi) Anyway, how bad can a bike be when the company motto is "Going out of business for 98 years"? In the three years I have owned mine, I have NEVER seen another one in person until January in Death Valley. I actually had to wait 4 months for mine to get to the dealership.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0527 (2).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	696.7 KB
ID:	224418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1642.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	224421  
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:41 PM   #4

Apparently Harley Davidson is releasing an Adventure model later this year called the Pan America
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #5

Yeah 'bout that. There was a thread started on ADV Rider at one point. Have to see how that works out. Novelty will be it's thing. I don't see it getting a lot of acceptance in HD land or the Adventure bike world.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:17 AM   #6

Harley PAn America Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200306-071630_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	224625
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:03 PM   #7

I think HD is rearraigning the deck chairs on the Titanic at this point. The new Electric bike and the Pan America aren't the salvation. Their core "riders" have moved on...https://harleyliberty.com/2018/02/16...-ship-to-sink/
Old 03-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanFMiller View Post
Nowadays Dual Sports are "Adventure Bikes"

to some, maybe. But to me this is a dual sport.
My 2018 Beta 300RR 2 stroke, street legal

But when I want to go out street riding I take my other Italian bike.

my 2017 Motoguzzi V7III

Since this picture I dumped those saddle bags, they rubbed the tire too much.
some trips the MG is in the trailer as our Toad.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney 78865 View Post
I've done 5 of the Back Country Discovery Routes and have another planned for mid summer.
back when Sam Correro's TAT was catching on there was a guy making a route from the TAT starting point heading north through VA/MD

Than there was a guy doing a route through NJ, but the route they had for PA was basically highways to connect NJ with central PA. They were missing all the best parts of PA.

So I got this idea I would make the PA route

After about 8 months of winter laying out tracks with my tools. Mostly Delorme Topo software, a PN40, a file of all the PA gravel roads I found on a Penn State website and converted into GPS tracks and google earth, I came up with a plan.
I needed to make a route that was as back road as possible with no highways But no illegal trespassing since in PA there is no legal motorcycle trails. It had to be all legal. I had to be able to ride it on Adventure bikes (at time I had a Buell Ulysses).
I ended up with a 5 day, 1000 mile route that started on PA side of river across from FrenchTown NJ, went NW into the PA grand canyon, West across to a friends campground in central PA, than worked its way south through several several PA state parks and forests ending in the Michaux state forest where it would connect to the MD/VA guys route.

Several of us setout to prove the route. me made it 3 days and ran into a forcast for several days rain. At this point we were riding old dirt township dirt roads that had turned to mud. after several went down we hightailed it home from central PA (still on some of the twisty blacktop roads there was around).

I documented what we found, and any route changes me had. Next I worked with some guys from Central PA to proof rode days 4 and 5. The following spring (on my new F800GS) I also proof road the days 4 and 5 and had a final route. During this time I meet this great guy name Jeff in South central PA who shared about 500 miles of route sheets he had on stone roads all through Michaux state forest.

I later added a 2nd part where you could come into this route from the Port Jarvis area.

Than someone was working on a route extension that went out west from my line through central PA.

After our first ride I wrote this all up on ADV rider, and gave out the GPS tracks with notes FOR FREE! But very little ever was written by others that might have rode my route . I was kind of disappointed.
But over this 2 years or so I spend building this route I meet some great people many of which I am still in touch with today.

One day a man who hosts this type event for a fee asked for my input, I told him no because I believe we should not be making personal profits off this sport. (I also have over 20 years experience building trail for motorcycle enduros in PA).

Than a year or 2 ago I read about this BCDR stuff as it was coming through PA, and how popular it was. Parts of the PA route are almost parallel to my Trans PA Trail route, but that is OK, they are giving out this route for free so it still supports my ideas of volunteer your time so others can enjoy motorcycles. Looking back I would not change a thing doing all that volunteer work with enduros and the adventure bike route. it was fun.

I guess its all in marketing. I had a limited audience through one website. BRDR is making movies

Old 03-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
to some, maybe. But to me this is a dual sport.
My 2018 Beta 300RR 2 stroke, street legal

But when I want to go out street riding I take my other Italian bike.

my 2017 Motoguzzi V7III

Since this picture I dumped those saddle bags, they rubbed the tire too much.
some trips the MG is in the trailer as our Toad.
I agree with you. Adventure bikes need to be able to run down the highway, loaded with gear at 80 mph all day. Dual sports on the other hand, in my opinion, are plated dirt bikes. Most are not able to haul much by design. Nor do they have the 8.5 gallon tanks needed for extended adventures.
Wish I lived where you do. I had a KTM 300XCW(e) that I would have loved being able to ride to the trail head instead of trailer...
Nice V7 by the way!
Old 04-22-2020, 12:05 PM   #11

Did you see the new KTM 390 Adventure? not bad for just north of $6K
Old 07-09-2020, 11:35 AM   #12

Quote:
I agree with you. Adventure bikes need to be able to run down the highway, loaded with gear at 80 mph all day. Dual sports on the other hand, in my opinion, are plated dirt bikes. Most are not able to haul much by design. Nor do they have the 8.5 gallon tanks needed for extended adventures.
Wish I lived where you do. I had a KTM 300XCW(e) that I would have loved being able to ride to the trail head instead of trailer...
Nice V7 by the way!
My WR250R can do everything you mentioned (well, 80 mph loaded is a bit of stretch), and with a 5 gallon aftermarket tank and sipping fuel, gets 200++ miles between fill-ups easily. It's my dualsport ADV bike! This being said, long days slogging down the interstate to get to somewhere fun is much easier on my FJR1300 though...
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
My WR250R can do everything you mentioned (well, 80 mph loaded is a bit of stretch), and with a 5 gallon aftermarket tank and sipping fuel, gets 200++ miles between fill-ups easily. It's my dualsport ADV bike! This being said, long days slogging down the interstate to get to somewhere fun is much easier on my FJR1300 though...
Ahhh, but it's all about the dirt at the end of the slab...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	233575  
Old 07-09-2020, 10:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Ahhh, but it's all about the dirt at the end of the slab...
Preach it brother!
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, bike