Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #1

Motorcycle carrier

This is the sub-forum that might be able to answer my question, which relates to how to carry a bike. My least heavy bike, a BMW 1200GS is over 500lbs. My Solera, a class C motorhome can take 600lbs on the hitch, so with the carier weight of aboutt 100lbs, calls for 500lbs bike or less. Is there anyone who can bring some experience here about the ride(with 600lbs on the tail) and kind of bikes that are light enough. I was thinking about KLR650, F650 or DL650. Any advice will help here.
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #2

I would consider a KLR - weighs about 350 - capable of 70mph on the highway all day long. Not good for serious dirt riding but okay on fire roads, etc. I ride with a guy from California that rode on to Sturgis!
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #3

I own a Class C Forester and after much research, purchased and installed a double motorcycle carrier made by VersaHaul for two scooters for a total of 500 pounds and had a welder strengthen hitch to 750+ pounds for a peace of mind. I used the carrier last week on our trip to Death valley with no problem at all.
perryzandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #4

This might be an alternative...moves 60-70% of the tongue weight to the wheel...yet drives like a single vehicle since it plugs into the receiver directly without a hitch.

They have several different models at the site. The ultimate single wheel trailer system.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
camaraderie: wouldn't this be considered a trailer now? and require it to be registered? I love the concept. Thanks for sharing.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Yankee View Post
camaraderie: wouldn't this be considered a trailer now? and require it to be registered? I love the concept. Thanks for sharing.
In OR. for example if it has a wheel rolling on the ground and towed it IS a trailer and not doubles are not allowed.

Idaho could care less as long as it has a plate on it.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:40 PM   #7

Since there is no articulation at the receiver, in many states it is not considered a trailer...but in others it is. I do note however that Oregon does not require license/title. From their faq page:

Will I have to license and title the Swivelwheel system in my state?
You need to check with your state DMV / DOT licensing office. Some states do not require trailer licensing if under a specific weight rating. For example, the state of Oregon or Montana do not require licenses since the system is under 1500 pounds gross. The state of Arizona does not require licensing. Do not be fooled by competitive systems that claim that their single wheel or dual wheel system does not require a license. You must check with your state DMV office for information. If the Swivelwheel system must be licensed in some states, competitive systems must also.

My main reason for considering one is not to avoid tag/tax etc... but to give me the ability to bring scoots with us in a class A without having to deal with the backing, towing issues a normal trailer would have...as well as the extra length and turning considerations. The Versahaul hitch mount is my #1 preference if the coach can handle it.
The FAQ page answered a lot of my questions about the system:
Swivelwheel Frequently Asked Questions

I don't know that it is an appropriate solution for a 5th wheel... I guess that depends on the rig and the state. Anyway...I found it an interesting solution to MY problem.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #8

Hydralift

These look pretty nice. They get the bike up high enough to allow you to still tow a dingy. And you don't drag in and out of driveways.

They make them for bikes, trikes, and quads. They also make them for Class A and 5th wheels.

Motorhome Motorcycle Lift - Hydralift-USA
Williamson_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:18 AM   #9

Open Carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
This might be an alternative...moves 60-70% of the tongue weight to the wheel...yet drives like a single vehicle since it plugs into the receiver directly without a hitch.

They have several different models at the site. The ultimate single wheel trailer system.
Don't you know you are NOT supposed to open carry that bike! Only HD's are allowed to be open carry. Please for the love of GL1800's everywhere...conceal! hahaha
Williamson_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #10

Hey...don't lay that one on me....Vespas are open carry! LOL

The hydralift is nice but $$...if you can make one up that is compatible with your camper load ratings.