Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
2015 sunseeker 3050

tail of the dragon 2018

hi everyone. The lakes are frozen and storm warnings are out for 2 days. So its a good time to plan (daydream) about a motorcycle trip. Built myself a new bike trailer need to use it once anyway. Don't want the wife to think I wasted all that time and $ for nothing. Think I will trailer bike down to the tail of the dragon and spend a couple weeks cruising around. So I am looking for any advice about the area, weather, fog, traffic campgrounds tourist sites etc. We would like to stay at national forest campground (reasonable with access pass) but probably should get a pull through site for MH and trailer. Time of year would be right after Goshen rally if we get in or the first part of Sept. Looking at having Franklin NC as our home base. Thanks in advance for any help
Al
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #2

Ride The Dragon once, on a weekday, and then go ride all the other amazing roads around the area that aren't so hyped and therefore overloaded with traffic.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
tony5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #3

The one concern is watch the Weather conditions,it can be a Warm Sunny day,in Spring/Fall but come around a curve that is in the Shade and Water/Black Ice can be there! The Rock walls supply Dripping Water and there are Plenty of Curves! Youroo!!
Old 12-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #4

tony5oh has some good advise. You didn't say how long your stay will be or you riding experience. We live with in an hour of the dragon's tail. Stay away on the weekend if you can. You can ride a lot of other much safer rides all around here. i.e. Cherohala Skyway, Foothills Parkway, and many more mountain back country roads. Good luck and safe travels!
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Everyone’s input so far is dead on. 👍👍

The Tail is best ridden weekdays if you need your fix. When you’ve had your fill (if it’s even possible&#128516 ride anywhere else like mentioned. There are no bad roads in this part of the country.

Ride safe.....ride often.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #6

Franklin would be an excellent location as a base camp but I have never camped there. I usually stay in Pigeon Forge. From Franklin Rt. 28 north takes you back to the Dragon; 28 south takes you into northern Georgia for some great roads; Rt. 64 to Cashiers takes you past some waterfalls and the Carolina Smokehouse for some BBQ; continue to Brevard and take Rt. 276 to Waynesville. I have ridden almost every road in this area over the past 15 years so I could go on and on about the motorcycle riding there. Just use a detailed map program and look for curves!
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:24 AM   #7

Make sure you see the Wheels Thru Time museum in Maggie Valley.
2013 F-150 4x4 EB
vstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
Broken Toe

Rule #1 on the Dragon: Stay in your lane.

Rule #2 on the Dragon: STAY IN YOUR LANE!

The vast majority of wrecks on the Dragon come from people 'clipping apexes' and crossing over the center line. If you can't go down it in one lane, then slow the hell down.

Also, if oncoming riders are making bird-flapping gestures, be on guard. Usually it means a semi truck is coming and they will literally block both lanes negotiating the curves. Don't plan on sightseeing on the Dragon. You will be too busy. If you wanna sightsee, do the Cherohala.

Ride within your skills, you'll be fine.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #9
2015 sunseeker 3050

Cowracer
cogito ergo moo

Rule #1 on the Dragon: Stay in your lane.

Rule #2 on the Dragon: STAY IN YOUR LANE!

The vast majority of wrecks on the Dragon come from people 'clipping apexes' and crossing over the center line. If you can't go down it in one lane, then slow the hell down.

Also, if oncoming riders are making bird-flapping gestures, be on guard. Usually it means a semi truck is coming and they will literally block both lanes negotiating the curves. Don't plan on sightseeing on the Dragon. You will be too busy. If you wanna sightsee, do the Cherohala.

Ride within your skills, you'll be fine.

tim
good advice Cowracer
was in Arkansas a while back and those logging trucks don't slow down much
Al
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #10

I did not ride there but stayed at the Indian Boundaries Campground in the Cherokee National Forest. Very nice campground and we did see people there with trailers and motorcycles.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #11

Dragon

Watch out as 18 wheeler s do the dragon as well. They usually have a lead bike warning riders he is coming but just be aware. Many other better roads too. Cherola Parkway is good for long sweepers. Got a speeding ticket warning on the dragon 7yrs ago. Actually a Tenn. souvenir. Keep the dark side down.
Retiredtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #12

Good advice from all re the "dragon". Ridden it a number of times. Ride it to enjoy it, don't try to slay it, The dragon WILL win and you'll just add pieces to the "tree of shame". Beautiful rides all around the area. We like to stay at one of the small B&B or motels along Fontana lake, the road between the bottom of the dam and the Dragon is a beautiful, peaceful ride. Enjoy
BADinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #13

Been there and done that. All of these recommendations should be adhered too. This is a serious ride. Going both ways, up and down is recommended. Leave your specific other back at camp just in case.
Gypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #14

the dragon is what your wanting to ride, the tail of the dragon is in Marion Va. great ride and frankly it is more technical than the dragon. ridden both many times like others have said you will need all your skill on both, unfortunately i have added to the tree of shame in the past . also a fun little ride is the snake in east Tennessee, near Elizabeton, just don't go on the weekend, unless you like running with the boys runnin slicks. also from Franklin NC ride across the mt. to Highlands NC really pretty ride.
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:21 PM   #15

Great area to ride.....Lots of better roads than the Dragon in the area.

Try to get over to Barber Motorcycle Museum.....Plan on spending a whole day.

Don't add to the "Tree Of Shame"

RB19RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:45 PM   #16

Did the Tail and the Blue Ridge Parkway a few years ago. I highly recommend it as a destination area. Definitely do it during the week. Mornings are usually foggy and misting. Heavy rain will cause localized flooding and washed out roads. We stopped at a Subway in Cherokee amid a storm got out and stepped into ankle deep flowing water. There are other destinations in the area, The Lost Sea is a lake in a cave. As a side note, both North Carolina and Tennessee have outlawed commercial trucking over a given length on the Tail (this may include RVs).
RobnCari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:58 PM   #17

I am pretty sure they banned commercial traffic from the dragon a few years back, but none the less, stay in your lane still applies.
mgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:25 PM   #18

I rode the tail of the dragon several years ago and found it less than enjoyable. So many blind corners, so many opportunities to find the unexpected limb, pile of leaves, or other debris. It certainly didn't have any flow to it and any fun factor was overshadowed by the pucker factor. Plenty on much nicer routes in the area to ride, leave the tail to the people who don't value their's or someone else's life.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #19

I have rode the dragon tail a few times in my Silverado, up and down.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #20

Commercial trucks just can't make the corners and can't back up. Big trouble when one gets into the tail and ends up straddling a corner.
RobnCari is offline   Reply With Quote