Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
Broken Toe

Victory is done!

On Jan 9th Polaris Industries announce they were ending the Victory line of motorcycles.

Polaris is Closing Victory Motorcycles

While I never owned one, I have friends who do. I always admired them as a nice-lower cost alternative to HD or the imports. It looks like Polaris is putting all their motorcycle eggs in the Indian basket. I think this is a bad move. Indians have a long history, but most riders nowadays only know Indian as a company that has gone out of business like 4 or 5 times with someone else buying the name and trying to make Indians out of Harley Davidson parts. At least Polaris isn't doing that, but I think their styling on the Indians is horrible

Victorys (other than the Vision) had decent style, and didn't look like they were trying to live in 2 different eras at the same time. Sad to see them go.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #2

It's business. Been to the factory more than once (remember I'm in the bike business in my other life).....

The market is pretty well saturated (as evidenced by HD's declining sales). You can only have so many cruiser variations and slice the pie so many ways and the slices get thinner and thinner profit wise.

I'd take a HD over and Indian anytime and I don't ride or own either. JMO.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #3

Victory is done!

I read this a few days ago. Guess I wasn't shocked. The cruiser market is flooded. The boomers, the primary demographic who'd buy these bikes are exiting the market as they age. Even HD is seeing this and trying to attract younger riders with lower dollar, small displacement hipster marketing to replace the older riders. I liked the Victories, but they were a halfway step between he metric cruisers and HD as far a fit and finish. The Indians seem to be quite nice, and on par with HD as far as aesthetics and fit/finish but I don't see them around too much. Just haven't really caught on in my part of the country.

Maybe Victory will sell some stuff at silly cheap prices like when HD killed Buell. Could be some good deals for someone.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #4

Sad to hear. The Victory was a nice alternative for the folks that didn't want to spend the $$$ for the comparable Harley...or just didn't want to own a Harley. I've ridden a few Victory models and was just not impressed to the point I'd consider buying one.

I think the business is going to continue declining for all except the Big Three...Harley, Honda and Yamaha. Sure, there will many other options but most will fade away and be replaced by new entries. Even though the sales numbers for the big three fluctuate wildly based on what others are offering they will still increase their overall market dominance. I also expect Harley to reduce the number of different models they offer. There are so many I can't begin to keep up with the offerings.

You're right about the perception of Indian as a brand that keeps disappearing and then coming back to life. They will never be a significant entry into the market. I also predict that the next one to disappear will be the Can Am. Not really the bikes fault...Bombardier is spread about in so many different areas they don't seem to really understand each one individually.

Now, it would really be great if someone would revive the Vincent Black Shadow.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
Site Team

I always found Victory to be the awkward child in the cruiser market. They weren't a H-D but they weren't an import. But somehow they seemed to combine the negatives of both of those products. While I had H-D and metric bikes I just never got enthused about buying a Victory. My son wanted an 8-Ball until he test rode one...he bought a H-D right after that ride.

The funny part about Indian is I've met owners who truly believe their bikes lineage dates back to 1901 in an unbroken line. When you tell them the real Indian folded in 1953 and then led a very shady life for the next 50+ years until Polaris they are aghast. I guess Indian marketing 1901 on their products has worked...
Old 01-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #6
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post

Now, it would really be great if someone would revive the Vincent Black Shadow.
They did. Its called the Yamaha VMAX. I haven't ridden on of the new (2009 and later) ones, but I rode a 94 once. Tank about a force of nature. It didn't need a tachometer... When you smell poo, its time to shift up.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #7

I have had mine since 2012 and I plan on keeping it for a long time. I'm sad to see them go, but I understand the business aspect that made it necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12439053_10103185849364249_2169377471068738784_n.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	131004  
Captain Murica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #8

Long Live INDIAN!!
High Country is offline   Reply With Quote