Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2022, 03:22 PM   #1

12 Months - No Bugs, No Varmints

Twelve months since purchasing our travel trailer and no bugs or rodents.....and, we live in bug/rodent infested Southeastern Georgia Low Country.

We had a concrete pad poured for travel trailer parking.

Also, purchased a pretty good cover with front & rear straps along with underbelly straps.

Once a month we spray concrete pad with "Ortho Home Defense" and apply Comet cleanser (powder form).

We also apply "Ortho Home Defense" inside camper. (Concrete pad applications are over-kill and interior applications are per instructions).

At campground we apply "Ortho Home Defense" on and around outside mat, tires as well as on and around leveling devices and hitch jack.

Also, apply "Ortho Home Defense" on and around water/electrical hook up station at campground and on and around water hose, sewer lines and electrical wire to camper.

When parked at home we spray the camper cover with "Ortho Home Defense" as well as under belly of camper, tires and hitch jack. Do not use leveling devices at home.

And, we remove shoes when entering camper.

Side note: Yes, putting the camper cover on and off is a real "pain in the ***. Eight foot long PVC poles with end caps help a lot.

HistoricMustang

2021 Forest River "Salem" FSX 177BH
2022 Ford F-150 XL 5.0 Liter V8, Tow Package, 400HP 410lbs Torque, 2WD, 3.31 Locking Rear End, Super Crew Cab, Vinyl Floors, Factory Steel Wheels, Iconic Silver
"Keep Calm and Take Them to the Train Station"
HistoricMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:37 PM   #2

Sounds like your methods are working. Here it's a constant battle with mice. I use the repellent stuff that is basically kitty litter with peppermint mixed in. Seems to work pretty good. I also keep some poison and traps in there as a last line of defence. I can keep it somewhat mouse free but if I fall behind at all on keeping up they show back up. We live next to a huge spread of woods so unlimited supply of critters to deal with.
0rion100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 10:19 PM   #3

Rodent Control

I've never had an insect issue. For rodent control, I use a couple of these, although I'm aware that not everyone has access to them, or even wants them. No issues with mice yet.
Hope I don't get overrun now that I've said that!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pest Control.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	668.3 KB
ID:	267507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pest Control2.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	558.5 KB
ID:	267508  
Virginian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I've never had an insect issue. For rodent control, I use a couple of these, although I'm aware that not everyone has access to them, or even wants them. No issues with mice yet.

I have been using the ultrasonic plug ins and never had a problem. I go out in the weekends. Look around. Have a beer. Hide my empties in the fridge from wifey. Nothing.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricMustang View Post
Twelve months since purchasing our travel trailer and no bugs or rodents.....and, we live in bug/rodent infested Southeastern Georgia Low Country.

We had a concrete pad poured for travel trailer parking.

Also, purchased a pretty good cover with front & rear straps along with underbelly straps.

Once a month we spray concrete pad with "Ortho Home Defense" and apply Comet cleanser (powder form).

We also apply "Ortho Home Defense" inside camper. (Concrete pad applications are over-kill and interior applications are per instructions).

At campground we apply "Ortho Home Defense" on and around outside mat, tires as well as on and around leveling devices and hitch jack.

Also, apply "Ortho Home Defense" on and around water/electrical hook up station at campground and on and around water hose, sewer lines and electrical wire to camper.

When parked at home we spray the camper cover with "Ortho Home Defense" as well as under belly of camper, tires and hitch jack. Do not use leveling devices at home.

And, we remove shoes when entering camper.

Side note: Yes, putting the camper cover on and off is a real "pain in the ***. Eight foot long PVC poles with end caps help a lot.

HistoricMustang
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ture22082.html

2021 Forest River "Salem" FSX 177BH
2022 Ford F-150 XL 5.0 Liter V8, Tow Package, 400HP 410lbs Torque, 2WD, 3.31 Locking Rear End, Super Crew Cab, Vinyl Floors, Factory Steel Wheels, Iconic Silver
"Keep Calm and Take Them to the Train Station"
HistoricMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:45 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

I swear it's my neighbors' 'mouser' patrolling the yard that has helped. Going into 4th year with zero problems. I appreciate the great job Forest River did on my GeoPro making sure there were no gaps on bottom of trailer for pests to penetrate.

As far as cover manipulation, I roll it out on roof and drop it down sides to cover it, then so it in reverse order from roof again. Helps to have someone on ground to help tug cover up or down so it doesn't catch on things.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:46 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
The ultimate in pest control.
**I'm already 3/4 through a big wood stack on edge of driveway by trailer. Lots of evidence of mouse nesting in it as I remove wood for stove. Yet none in trailer. Go figure. Cat.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:50 PM   #8

I will use the Ortho Home Defense on the outside of the trailer. I use “No Pest Strips” inside the trailer when it is in storage. They will kill off anything inside for up to 4 months and have proven to be very effective. Rodents hate them because the active ingredient affects mammalian nervous system. I changed out all the generic screens with 20/20 mesh screen which is effective at keeping out “no-sees”, however, when camped out in the tidal lowlands along the east coast it seems like there are no-sees that even no-sees would not be able to see. In that case, I will wipe down the screens with a rag that I spray some Black Flag onto. That will usually solve the problem for a few days.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:01 PM   #9

Chemicals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
I will use the Ortho Home Defense on the outside of the trailer. I use “No Pest Strips” inside the trailer when it is in storage. They will kill off anything inside for up to 4 months and have proven to be very effective. Rodents hate them because the active ingredient affects mammalian nervous system. I changed out all the generic screens with 20/20 mesh screen which is effective at keeping out “no-sees”, however, when camped out in the tidal lowlands along the east coast it seems like there are no-sees that even no-sees would not be able to see. In that case, I will wipe down the screens with a rag that I spray some Black Flag onto. That will usually solve the problem for a few days.
I can't say I'm comfortable with continuous presence of insecticides in a confined space. Those yellow No-Pest strips used to be touted as harmless. Then maybe 15 years ago it was admitted that they weren't recommended for long-term use.

We got rid of the mice permanently by the simple expedient of wrapping every pipe and cable that penetrated the bottom side with steel wool, near the penetration. Used to see two or three in traps every time we opened the trailer. Now haven't seen a single one in five years. Pretty good for a single day's prevention work.

We occasionally have ants. Cure is to remember to wipe the counters and table after every use. We each thought the other was doing it.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:06 PM   #10

All of the mentioned things may work fine, here is what I have. Crusader Lite 5th wheel parked under a metal three bay open sided shed built for travel trailer. I have a dirt floor, trailer is parked on cement 12 inch sq. 4 inch thick blocks with a wood 2 x 8 on top. Front landing gear is also on wood blocks. This has been my setup for six years. No bugs, lizards or mice in trailer. I live in Southwest Louisiana, 25 miles inland from the gulf. I do not put anything in the trailer or on the outside. I do not store any food items in trailer that might attract unwanted guess. I do run a dehumidifier to keep the moisture in check.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:52 PM   #11

In reply to Larry-NC: It is not recommended to use the No Pest strips in occupied areas due to the neurological effects that occur in mammals including humans. The pesticide data sheet recommends no exposure over 4 hours in an enclosed area. They are intended for use in uninhabited spaces. What I like about them is I can take them down and seal them up, thus extending their life. The active ingredient also kills Fleas, Ticks, Stink Bugs, Ants, Wasps and Bed Bugs, all of which can stay in an unoccupied trailer for extended periods of time. The vapors do not leave a residue and are easily aired out by opening windows and running the vent fan. I never leave them up in occupied areas, but they are great in the closed up trailer storage areas where I keep camping gear.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:51 PM   #12

Our biggest concern is carpenter ants at our campground. Our former 1985 Citation trailer had them in the ceilings and bathroom. We now have a 2012 FR Surveyor with no problems. We us Home Defense spray and granules around the outside of the trailer and porch with no issues. The old trailer we used the Ortho liquid bait inside and watched the trail of ants going to it. Needless to say, I had a lot of dead ants in the ceiling when I looked.
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 01:55 PM   #13

Ortho Home Defense is a good product. I buy the concentrate at ACE Hardware. It is labeled as a 5 year termite treatment. 16 ounces at $23.99. One half ounce makes one gallon of regular spray bottle that costs $11.98 at Home Depot or Lowe’s, so that saves me a little over $288.00. It is a small bottle and stores easily. The only problem with it is that the target insects are gradually developing immunity to the active ingredient (Bifenthrin). When that happens the product tends to be taken off the market.

Tags
bugs