Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #21
Just as confused as you

With all the battery powered saws-all, grinders, saws and band-saws it doesn't take long to get what the thieves want. A friend had a fleet of vans for his heating-cooling business, thieves got over the fence and cut the catalytic's off 10 of them one night. He found a broken saws-all blade under the side of one van with one end cut the next morning. They must not have been smart enough to bring spare blades.

He said the cordless saws-all was the best invention for the thieves.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #22

Pull the battery and LP gas tanks when you leave the trailer sitting. They may still break in but if you put a couple of motion-activated cameras in and outside the trailer, you will find out who they are in short order and you inform the police.

Also, I wouldn't leave any items in the storage bays . More stuff to steal
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #23

Re: Agggh battery

I bought two, 26" vinyl-coated link chains and wrapped them around my two batteries. I then went on line and purchased a Fortress Gas Lock from etrailer.
Xmarine mentality.
QCFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:33 AM   #24

Can't see that fortress gas lock product being much good at anything other than keeping honest people honest.

Bolt Sutter would make short work of the all thread rod between the two cylinders that it's "locked" too and both cylinders are free to go on walk about.

You'd have to find a way to lock each cylinder base to the trailer bracket to have a chance at stopping a thief who's there with a real intent to steal (ie: they will have at least bolt cutters with them) vice an "opertunist".

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:02 AM   #25

Scrappers hit my neighborhood stealing batteries off every RV they could easily get to including mine. They cut the cables also which really irritated me. I drove the neighborhood and knocked on doors alerting the owners who also had their battery stolen urging them to report it. When I called the police they said they would note it but had no interest stopping at the scrapyard to see who was cashing in a bunch of batteries. The RV owners who had locks on their battery boxes were untouched. It is frustrating.
kevind02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:06 AM   #26

The interaction with the cops would be more frustrating for me than the fact my battery was stolen I think. What the heck?

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevind02 View Post
Scrappers hit my neighborhood stealing batteries off every RV they could easily get to including mine. They cut the cables also which really irritated me. I drove the neighborhood and knocked on doors alerting the owners who also had their battery stolen urging them to report it. When I called the police they said they would note it but had no interest stopping at the scrapyard to see who was cashing in a bunch of batteries. The RV owners who had locks on their battery boxes were untouched. It is frustrating.
That's just proof that you don't have to stop a thief, you just have to make your (insert name of what you want to keep here) more of a hassle to get than someone else's.

If they have to fool with a lock on yours and a fabric strap on your neighbor's, they're going to walk past yours and steal your neighbor's.

Most grab and go thieves want to do just that: grab and go. The more time they have to fool around with locks and whatnot, the more likely they are to get caught. At least that's how most "normal" people think.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
The interaction with the cops would be more frustrating for me than the fact my battery was stolen I think. What the heck?

The police didnt come out, they just took the report over the phone. Im guessing stolen batteries are low on their priority list

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
That's just proof that you don't have to stop a thief, you just have to make your (insert name of what you want to keep here) more of a hassle to get than someone else's.

If they have to fool with a lock on yours and a fabric strap on your neighbor's, they're going to walk past yours and steal your neighbor's.

Most grab and go thieves want to do just that: grab and go. The more time they have to fool around with locks and whatnot, the more likely they are to get caught. At least that's how most "normal" people think.

Thats exactly right. They just wanted to run up, snip the cables and run off with the battery. 40 seconds of work for $10 at the scrap yard. My trailer sits on the side of of the house at the top of our driveway but is easily accessible. Others in the neighborhood were parked the same way or parked directly on the street and again the ones on the street with locks on the battery box were passed up.

I dont dry camp so still havent replaced the battery but I believe the emergency electric brakes operate off the battery if the trailer were to come unhitched so I guess I should get one. Irritating I have to replace something I dont even use.
kevind02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #29

Screaming alarm locks it's a cable type lock with a 120 dB alarm can be run off on board battery or solar charger
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #30

Have you considered getting a "game camera" that hunters use to check out areas? They are motion activated and take pretty decent pictures. Mount it and have it aimed at the front of your rig. Just a suggestion.....................

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #31

My TV was looted a few weeks ago. They stole a 9mm Beretta 92 pistol, my TPMS monitor(that chapped me), a half bottle of cheap cologne, a foam fold-up work mat(well used and faded) and prolly more stuff I forgot and don't know about. I had a Raytech ? infrared thermometer(not a cheap one), a plumbers oxy/acc torch and bottles, ref leak detector(TIF), misc a/c tools, meters, gauges,5 CFM Robinair vac pump, etc.(I do PT a/c work). They didn't get any of that stuff. Torch front floor and Infrared in front seat and untouched. Tells me they was kids and stealing for themselves.

Honestly the police didn't care/do anything. I didn't file on insurance(should have). I am not 100% certain it was locked. Normally yes.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #32

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Thinkin' out loud ... nothing will keep the determined / motivated thieves away ... but if it involves even minor tools, time, effort ... now it's not such an easy score.

Planning on adding a second battery box for some impending dry camping, and maybe adding a steel strap or two around the boxes, and requiring the use of tools to get the batteries out ... might discourage some opportunists.

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #33

AAAgggg stolen RV battery

Op...I use these with a padlock. Just have to make it less inviting than others.

http://b-drvbatterylock.com

The question to ask yourself if this is a good time to go to 2 six volt batteries. I bought two of these for my group 24's then had to buy 2 more for my 6 volts.

The pair of group 24's going for 55with shipping 48 states.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #34

RV Battery Box Lock

Losing a battery is really a pain. They cut all the cabling to get it out, so even after you get a new battery you still have a lot to do replacing the wires.. Mine was stolen while parked in from of the house. I found a battery lock that I really like. it is a heavy steel strap that goes around the battery box and locks.
Check it out at:
B & D RV Battery Lock For RV travel trailers and popup campers.
chuckt2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery