Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2015, 04:20 PM   #1

All you chefs....kind of at a lost...

We just got our RV and not that I do a lot of frying, but...is there something out there that can be attached to the wall closest to the stove? (And maybe removable, so I can clean it)I'm afraid my frying,or sauces might soil/splatter the wall when cooking.. And since I'm asking, looking for a magazine rack that can either be attached to ladder (inside) or somewhere inside..
Thanks
Cindi Mac

Cindi Mac
Cindimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #2

All you chefs....kind of at a lost...

Cook fish outside !! That is one thing we would NEVER cook inside the camper...

Bacon maybe but not fish !! We have a large island kitchen so no worries about wall splatter though

We have a large wooden serving platter that is stored behind the stove so it protects the stone backsplash
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindimac View Post
We just got our RV and not that I do a lot of frying, but...is there something out there that can be attached to the wall closest to the stove? (And maybe removable, so I can clean it)I'm afraid my frying,or sauces might soil/splatter the wall when cooking.. And since I'm asking, looking for a magazine rack that can either be attached to ladder (inside) or somewhere inside..
Thanks
Cindi Mac

Lori, yea I really wouldn't cook fish inside, lol,

Cindi Mac
Cindimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #4

All that type of cooking I do outside. I prefer to be outside anyway. I use my grill to cook all the bacon and I can even pan fry fish on it. It takes a while to get the oil hot but it works. I need to buy a portable burner but haven't got one yet.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:49 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
We never fry anything inside. Always outside!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
We never fry anything inside. Always outside!
YES!

I do the cooking 95% of the time which means I get to cleanup the mess.

Electric frying pan with a lid keeps my labor to a minimum.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #7
I Break Everything

We cook outside quite a bit, but not limited to it...sometime I just don't feel like unloading everything for a sauteed piece of chicken or vegetables. The electric fry pans with lids work fine, if not small skillet with splatter guard. Clean as you go is the trick. Open all vents if it's really sloppy. Or, just go out to eat...that's my favorite.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:04 PM   #8
Cyber Phrenologist

We have a folding cover on our stove top that protects the wall behind the stove very well. I assume you have a wall beside your stove?

Get a clear piece of Plexiglas, the real thin stuff, and mount it to the adjacent wall. I have seen coordinating Formica material used as well.

We have a round spatter shield that looks like window screen or a big fly swatter. That keeps the spatter under control for us. From any grocery store, like this one:

Spatter Shield

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:23 AM   #9

We only cook bacon inside, any other fried foods are done outside. I will choose a burner furthest away from the wall and the burner cover. Afterwards everything gets sprayed down with a cleaner and wiped down, we even remove the grate over the burners. Better to stay on top of that rather than let any build up. Also, I think the "quality" of the bacon helps. While we are camping we visit a local butcher shop that makes their own bacon. We notice it smokes a lot less and does not splatter nearly as much as store bought. You can also cook bacon in the oven. Never tried that, but supposedly it is better, but you might then have to clean the inside of the stove so not sure if that solves the cleaning problem. Here is one set of instructions if you want to try that How To Bake Bacon - Perfect Bacon Every Time!

Another thing you can do for bacon, is pre-cook your bacon at home, then freeze it, and finish it up in the microwave. Here is how.

Want to freeze your bacon? Under-cook your bacon by a couple of minutes , let it cool and then place it in Ziploc bag. To reheat, pull out a couple of slices and cook in the microwave on medium power for 30 seconds.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #10

Attach a piece of tin foil with masking tape to the wall.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #11

You should look for the screen skillet covers. I use them. They look like a big fly swatter but set right on top of your skillet and have a nice handle. I usually even lay a paper towel on top as well, especially for bacon. I forget where we got them but they come in several sizes and keep splatter to a minimum since it traps the splatter in the screen, which is easy to clean.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:59 AM   #12

You should look for the screen skillet covers. I use them. They look like a big fly swatter but set right on top of your skillet and have a nice handle. I usually even lay a paper towel on top as well, especially for bacon. I forget where we got them but they come in several sizes and keep splatter to a minimum since it traps the splatter in the screen, which is easy to clean.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #13

The easiest way is to use the blue tacky no mar stick stuff (any dollar store, Walmart, office supply store) to stick aluminum foil to the wall at frying time. When done, pull off the foil and throw away, save your tacky bits in a zip lock bag and wipe up any stray debris. Won't hurt the wall surface, easy to clean up and does not change the appearance of your unit.
frogsandhogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:21 PM   #14

I never cook inside. Maybe lazy.....don't like cleaning up mess. Use long griddle on grill for bacon, sausage in addition to burgers etc.. Use Dutch ovens and a NuWave induction burner, also outside to cook potatoes, spaghetti, etc and make my favorite freshly perked coffee the old fashion way.
Camping Days 2013 - 24
Camping Days 2014 - 21
Projected Camping Days 2015 - 30
Loneeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #15

I use a small Camp Chief oven that has two high temp burners on top. Runs off disposable propane canisters or a quick connect off the tt propane outlet. Can sit it outside and clean up is a breeze. Too hot in summer to fix things inside oven. Whole thing weighs about 20 pounds and folds up to size that is easy to carry.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #16

We installed a smart tile backsplash. Just wipes clean.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #17

Check this out http://www.amazon.com/3-SIDED-SPLATT.../dp/B008E06YYE. We just prefer to most of the cooking outside anyway unless it is pouring rain.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #18

Try doing bacon from scratch in the microwave. Put four of five slices of raw bacon on a paper towel on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with another paper towel. You can also do two layers, with a paper towel in between. Cook on high for about two minutes, then check for desired doneness then cook a bit more if necessary. Makes perfect crispy bacon, and the paper paper towels soak up almost all the grease, with no splatter.
RVBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:45 PM   #19

I purchased two cheap plastic/laminate cutting boards from IKEA and I set one of them between the stovetop and the wall whenever I'm cooking anything. I also always run the exhaust fan. This will keep most of the grease/spatter off of the wall. I will wipe the wall down with a bit of Dawn dish detergent every day or two after I wash dishes. It gets a little bit of Murphy's Oil Soap every week or two when we are fulltiming.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #20

A little tip re Frying bacon..........Put some flour on a plate and cover both sides of bacon before frying in pan...no more splatter!!!!!!!!!!!!!..J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote