Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 08:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Ditto. Downhill from our trailer the lawn is beautiful. And my tanks are like new every trip. I leave camp with about five gallons of water and half pint or so of dawn. Or Awesome from the 99 cent store in a 40 gal black tank.

Dumping a little poop in your yard is no big deal. A lot of people make a big deal of it. Up until about 10 years ago I still had an operational outhouse up in the top of the yard that came with the house. I wish I would of not tore it down and filled the pit as it was within hose range of where I park my trailer, and would of made a good dump station.

Used to be everyone crapped outside and ate inside, now everyone craps inside and wants to eat outside.............
Old 04-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Dumping a little poop in your yard is no big deal. A lot of people make a big deal of it. Up until about 10 years ago I still had an operational outhouse up in the top of the yard that came with the house. I wish I would of not tore it down and filled the pit as it was within hose range of where I park my trailer, and would of made a good dump station.

Used to be everyone crapped outside and ate inside, now everyone craps inside and wants to eat outside.............
Right on Mr Havercamp !!!
I wanted to build one on out property in the north woods,,, but figured I would get caught !!!

But be where if Ticks in those old outhouses !!!
A friend of mines son ended up with a Tic,,, you know where !!!
Old 04-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #23
Pickin', Campin', Mason

To the OP... not having a threaded connection on the ' red wand' is by purpose. That hose is for rinsing the sewer hose and the concrete area around the dump port only.

It also doesn't have a threaded connection because believe it or not, some people used that hose to to fill their fresh water tanks despite warnings of it being non-potable water so many of the campgrounds have eliminated the connection to lessen the risk.

Accepted camper etiquette is unless you are the ONLY dumper in line, do not use your black tank flush even if there is a connection.

The following has been a hotly debated topic too but I believe it better if you want to spend a great deal of time flushing your black tank, it's better to back into an unused full hookup site on the way out (if available) than to tie up the dump station line.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 04-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #24
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
To the OP... not having a threaded connection on the ' red wand' is by purpose. That hose is for rinsing the sewer hose and the concrete area around the dump port only.

It also doesn't have a threaded connection because believe it or not, some people used that hose to to fill their fresh water tanks despite warnings of it being non-potable water so many of the campgrounds have eliminated the connection to lessen the risk.

Accepted camper etiquette is unless you are the ONLY dumper in line, do not use your black tank flush even if there is a connection.

The following has been a hotly debated topic too but I believe it better if you want to spend a great deal of time flushing your black tank, it's better to back into an unused full hookup site on the way out (if available) than to tie up the dump station line.
Here we go again... If you want to use a full hook up site to dump and flush, you should pay for it! Otherwise, get in line at the dump station. That's the service level you purchased. If you rent a basic car, you don't get to drive a Cadillac. Same thing goes for the site you rented at the campground.

EDIT: If the campground owner tells you you can use the FHU site to dump and flush, that's their prerogative, it's not your call.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

Old 04-16-2017, 11:00 AM   #25

Old 04-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Here we go again... If you want to use a full hook up site to dump and flush, you should pay for it! Otherwise, get in line at the dump station. That's the service level you purchased. If you rent a basic car, you don't get to drive a Cadillac. Same thing goes for the site you rented at the campground.

EDIT: If the campground owner tells you you can use the FHU site to dump and flush, that's their prerogative, it's not your call.
I don't have a problem so much that the site wasn't paid for, but when multiple people start using unnocupied FHU sites as the general dump station it usually results in the site being left a stinky mess.

At our local state park they put in about a dozen FHU sites recently and as usual people took advantage. The rangers at first looked the other way, until the sites were trashed around the sewer connections. Now they write citations.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #27
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post

And I meant to add that and unfortunately omitted it. Aleays get permission.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 04-16-2017, 12:04 PM   #28
WFD

Etiquette, etiquette, etiquette...one of the most lacking things in many people today...everyone has a sense of entitlement. I think it's just plain selfish to have people wait in line to dump while you go about flushing your tank.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #29
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
We always carry an extra garden-type hose that we use solely for flushing the black water tank at a dump station. We also carry the white fresh-water hoses used strictly for connecting to potable water. If the dump station does not have a garden-hose threaded connector, then you are out of luck. In 40+ years of RV camping we have never passed up the opportunity to flush our black water tank at a dump station when leaving the campground. The great majority of RV-ers we come across in line at dump stations understand this, and we have never been confronted by someone who is so impatient that they object to our flushing for a few minutes.
I agree. 90% of Rv'ers are considerate of others, but it's always that remaining 10% that seem to be in a world of their own at the dump station, and those people know who they are. They start the dumping process and all of a sudden they're pacing around willy-nilly, talking on the phone or answering text messages while everyone else is waiting. Then there are those that decide rather than pay attention to the task on hand, decide to repack their gear including rinsing down their lawn chairs! And my favorite, the ones that decide to empty their weekends worth of trash into the trash can at the dump station because they were too lazy to cart it to the dumpster at their campsite.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 04-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #30
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I agree. 90% of Rv'ers are considerate of others, but it's always that remaining 10% that seem to be in a world of their own at the dump station, and those people know who they are. They start the dumping process and all of a sudden they're pacing around willy-nilly, talking on the phone or answering text messages while everyone else is waiting. Then there are those that decide rather than pay attention to the task on hand, decide to repack their gear including rinsing down their lawn chairs! And my favorite, the ones that decide to empty their weekends worth of trash into the trash can at the dump station because they were too lazy to cart it to the dumpster at their campsite.
Your post is confusing....you quote the person who thinks its fine to make others wait, and you start by saying you agree, but then your post totally disagrees with what they are saying.....but I do totally agree with what your post says.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:17 AM   #31

The trouble with a lot of people in the WORLD today is they think that rules & laws are made for other people,,, other than them self's !!! They believe it is ok to pick & choose which ones they want to follow !!!
Old 04-17-2017, 08:39 AM   #32

Boy I bet the original OP never thought their post would generate so much .... and morph into where its going. lol
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
Old 04-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #33

Send a message via AIM to B and B
What is even worse than dump station bio-hazard, wasting precious water on flushing endlessly keeping people waiting etiquette is campground etiquette. I f I want to smell your cigarette smoke I would light up myself. They should ban smoking in these close campgrounds as a health hazard. I should not have to be exposed to this known carcinogen or your smelly holding tank or leaking 10 yr old sewer hose on a $80,000 fith wheel.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:57 AM   #34

To top it all off the tank flush does not do all that great of a job to begin with. I can use it multiple times until what's coming out looks like mountain spring water and still blow out a lot of honey if I use a wand down through the turlet.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #35

On the back roads off the grid you will experience none of those problems try some Idaho camping
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
Old 04-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #36

This post has turned into a rant on being considerate. Many people simply don't know or care about anybody else. Pay attention to how you treat people and treat them how you would want to be treated. If there's someone behind you, flush later. Pack your camper elsewhere, see it at the boat ramps all the time also. Guy pulls 5 feet up the ramp and starts to put away his fishing tackle. It's called get the f out of the way. You're not more important than the next guy. Take your turn, but get it done, and do your other stuff somewhere out of everyone else's way.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Old 04-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
This post has turned into a rant on being considerate. Many people simply don't know or care about anybody else. Pay attention to how you treat people and treat them how you would want to be treated. If there's someone behind you, flush later. Pack your camper elsewhere, see it at the boat ramps all the time also. Guy pulls 5 feet up the ramp and starts to put away his fishing tackle. It's called get the f out of the way. You're not more important than the next guy. Take your turn, but get it done, and do your other stuff somewhere out of everyone else's way.

Well said.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #38

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
On the back roads off the grid you will experience none of those problems try some Idaho camping
I spend 90% of my time on Provincial Lands that are parks with electric only. Love our time there.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 PM   #39

This was an enjoyable read for sure. It reminds me of Prius (the small Toyota Hybrid) owners who drive in the fast lane about 60 MPH holding up traffic. AKA the most hated cars on the road. Like that one post that said, "get the f out of the way". Thanks for the entertainment. And yes I agree, if at a FHU site, have at, if not, dump and run.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:30 AM   #40

Perhaps I should explain that I am not "THAT" guy who holds up the line waiting to dump by taking excessive time to flush my holding tanks. In 40+ years of RV'ing, we have never inconvenienced anyone else waiting in line to use the dump station. If there is one or more other RV waiting in line at the dump station, I always walk back to introduce myself, and ask if they are in a hurry to get through. Never, ever have I found someone who asks that I not flush. It takes a bit more than 3-4 minutes with my rig.

Well, there was that one time, at McGrath State Beach near Ventura, CA, when a guy in an older (1950's era) motor home asked if he could pull around me at the dump station because he was in a hurry to get home. He pulled around me, and aimed his sewage discharge pipe at the dump station receptacle. Then he simply opened his black tank valve and let the sewage flow all over the ground in the general direction of the sewage inlet. He was then gone in an instant, without even capping his sewer discharge pipe!! By the time I got up next to the dump site, the smell was overbearing, and I was the guy blamed for the spill. Go figure.
Closed Thread

Tags
black, black tank, flush, tank