Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 05:40 AM   #1

Any one using Motor Snorkel conversion kit on Generator?

Thinking about buying the Motor Snorkel conversion for our generator which converts from gasoline to propane. Anyone had any experience. We use a Champion 2000W generator. Only hold one gallon of gas.

Propane and Natural Gas Generator Conversion Kits - Motor Snorkel
We are driving a Ford F250 Gasser and pulling a Evergreen G269FK. We also have a Cairn Terrier. 2 Champion Generators. This year, planning on 6 months in our Evergreen visiting, California, Michigan, and Ohio. We live in Florida. Grandkids, and dog are why we camp. Also have a Hensley Hitch which that eliminates all sway. Pricey, but worth it.
Tampajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:52 AM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

I have one of their kits on a Briggs and Stratton storm responder generator. I have had it for 3 years now and love it. It is used for home power while the powers out. I have not used it to camp with but run it at home on natural gas. I do have the propane kit as well which also worked well. Install was very easy on the open style generator. I know from seeing howtos on YouTube the Honda inverter style generators looks a little more involved due to lack of space. Their customer service was excellent as well when ever I had a question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:52 AM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
It's also fairly easy to add a 6 gal. marine tank to your gen.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

It is with kits pre-made out there or for a DIY setup. This would also get the full power of the geni. I did not find that I lost any capacity on my 5500 watt geni when running Natural Gas but I know they say you lose 10% maybe on NG and LPG. But for me it was still cheaper to convert due to the cheaper NG price v gas.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
It's also fairly easy to add a 6 gal. marine tank to your gen.
That is correct, you can order them online from Genxdirect.com. (including cap and feed line) Be aware that on the Champion 2000w, you will have to have the marine tank above the generator as the Champions are gravity feed without a fuel pump

I used one this weekend and it was great
Old 07-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #6

You'll be somewhat disappointed in propane consumption and power loss. I'd just get one of those 6 gal gas tanks that adapt to your existing filler cap.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Honda 2000's were a little involved doing the cap mod...to not destroy the factory vented cap (spendy)....Honda regular lawn mowers have same tank threads, but diff. venting (cheap) ...ness. to take cap apart and just use threaded portion
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #8

if you do decide to go with the extended run, Extended Run Generator Fuel System with 6 Gallon Fuel Tank - IPI Industries BERG System - GenXDirect

it has an additional fuel cap, fuel line, quick disconnect to the extended Fuel tank and the 6 gallon tank
Old 07-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #9
Tom.B

Tom

I have purchased two of the kits. One for a Yamaha 2400 and one for a Ridged Subaru engine 8kw. The Yamaha went very well, with no problems the subaru they sent me the wrong snorkel C/S was quick on getting me the correct part the install was easy then. No cutting of the genie frame. I used quick disconnects for both units. I keep my RV propane tanks filled, don't need to bring gas along as TV is diesel. I use the rigid as a home backup and the Yamaha for camping and use at home at late night when power is out
trbirkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #10

It takes almost twice the propane compares to gasoline to produce the same BTU of heat (work). I had propane on an older MH and it emptied two saddle tanks in 36 hours. Prefer gas or diesel.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator