Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #81

So.... heading out for a few days on a trip to Phoenix and back. I've decided to try this. I just need to sleep one or two nights on the way out and the same for coming back. I'll ask the manager if it's OK. I looked at the website and the places I intend to stay say OK, but I'll still ask the manager. Do any of you sleep at rest stops on the interstate? I thought about that and it seems a bit risky... but the truckers do it a lot. What say you?
Old 02-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #82
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
So.... heading out for a few days on a trip to Phoenix and back. I've decided to try this. I just need to sleep one or two nights on the way out and the same for coming back. I'll ask the manager if it's OK. I looked at the website and the places I intend to stay say OK, but I'll still ask the manager. Do any of you sleep at rest stops on the interstate? I thought about that and it seems a bit risky... but the truckers do it a lot. What say you?
Download this list, so you can have a good idea if the store allows overnight parking or not before you stop:
Walmart Overnight RV Parking Resources

I haven't done rest areas, but if I did - it would be out with the trucks. But, being out with the trucks, I'd feel guilty about taking a spot overnight from a working driver who has mandatory stops. (Not that you're doing anything wrong if you do stop and sleep at a rest area- it's just not for me.) Given the volume of trucks at ours, I'd bet that it's pretty noisy.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #83

I thought about the "taking up a spot" aspect, but I pay my fair share of the taxes that built the place... so I wouldn't feel too badly. But, to each his own... I salute you for your consideration of others...

Jack
Old 02-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #84

I like state rest stops but in most you have to park with the semis as discussed above. I'll pull in to a wide open spot and then a semi will pull in on each side of me and let their motors run all night long. Drives me crazy(er)! I look for Walmarts now when I just need a quick night's stop. I usually do some shopping and make sure I leave nothing in the parking lot. I appreciate that Walmart let's us do this.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:23 PM   #85
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I thought about the "taking up a spot" aspect, but I pay my fair share of the taxes that built the place... so I wouldn't feel too badly. But, to each his own... I salute you for your consideration of others...

Jack

Thumbs up. I tried to give my reason and not be preachy about it. I appreciate that you did the same.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:20 PM   #86

Over the last 40 yrs we have used the rest areas,truck stops ,but never a walmart.Never had any problems,but I did sleep with my smith mod 39s under the pillow.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:25 PM   #87

Walther security mod 40 and a rottwieler =no problems where we have stopped to sleep.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:37 PM   #88

Our dogs are worthless. The siberian and aussie would let them in and then lick them into submission
Old 02-14-2015, 12:15 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Our dogs are worthless. The siberian and aussie would let them in and then lick them into submission
Shhhhh the bad guys don't know that and my wife's Rottwieler is a big chicken BUT A REALY LOUD big chicken.

Looking at the avatar ,that'll do puppy that'll do.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:20 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman View Post
If you plan to stay over night at a Wal Mart and don't want to carry the water on the trip, how do you get some water into your water tank when you get to your destination? Any ideas?
X2

I don't know about your unit, but I can't pour water into the fresh tank; it takes a pump and a little pressure to get'r done.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
Old 02-14-2015, 11:07 AM   #91

Lets see again. I don't want to carry five or ten gallons of water in my fresh water tank for some reason (maybe a slight difference in mileage), but I am willing to walk into a Walmart and spend 5 to 10 dollars for bottled water!
Old 02-16-2015, 11:13 AM   #92

Here's a question for anyone out there that has a large 5er with a built in Genny - if you Walmart camp, can you run your Genny in the summer to power the A/C? Also, how noisy are those factory installed Gennys?

Also,on a lot of 5ers you need to pop out a slide or 2 in order to use the bedroom - is this a issue for Walmart ?

Sent from my iPad Air using FRF App for iOS
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
Old 02-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #93
Just Love to Camp

We run our genny and pop out the slides. Not too noisy but we try to be respectful if the others there with Windows open

2012 F450
Virginia
Old 02-16-2015, 12:08 PM   #94

I would think explaining your situation to the manager would get the response your looking for.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #95

while I would rather stay at a campground any day... sometimes it doesn't makes sense to do so. Case in point, I need a campground in Kansas about 4-5 hours from STL that I can pull into Friday night and leave first thing in the morning. All of the state campgrounds require Friday and Saturday stays...

So that leaves me with a Walmart or rest stop.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
while I would rather stay at a campground any day... sometimes it doesn't makes sense to do so. Case in point, I need a campground in Kansas about 4-5 hours from STL that I can pull into Friday night and leave first thing in the morning. All of the state campgrounds require Friday and Saturday stays...

They don't requ you STAY just that you PAY for both days, so they don't loose money on stalls sitting open half the weekend. Aren't there any private campgrounds in that area?
Old 02-16-2015, 02:33 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post

+1, we've used campgrounds, when they're convenient.

Find WM using app.................easy
Exit highway.........................easy
Enter/park WM parking lot......easy
Set up, jacks slides gen..........easy
Shop....................................$30.00

OR
Find campground.....................never easy, often NONE in this town
Exit highway...........................easy sometime, usually 10 minutes out of town
Register, follow golf cart to site..$30.00
Set up, jacks, slides water elec...easy

ab&jb
Old 02-16-2015, 07:51 PM   #98

Walmart WANTS RV people to come to their parking lots and stores. Pull in and stop for a few hours and buys some 'stuff' (doughnuts for the road) and move along. No stooping to it. I drive by a 'walmart' every Sunday when I go to church. There are always around 3 to 6 RVs on their lot, in the back.

I travel hundreds and hundreds of miles on one leg of our 'trips'. The next one coming up is over 1,600 miles one way. we are leaving on a Friday night about 7:00. I am factoring in 2 nights of 'layovers' before we get to our destination campgroud. I am charting every road side Rest Area, Pilot, Flying J and Walmart along the way. When the driver (me) says that it is time to stop for the night, we will find the 'next' plotted 'stopping' place and get some rest/fuel/supples. Done this for over 30years and more than a 100 times of 'roadside' camping. 'Money' is not and never has been a factor. Pulling into a campground at 1:00-2:00 in the morning and pulling out at 5:00-6:00 is very disruptive for the traveler and campground personnel and I still have to stop for food/fuel/supplies, this is not good time management. I have personally met some of the Walmart Heirs/Owners and they (most of them) are real caring people, but they also are Business People and know the power of image and customer perception and customer service. (I do not own stock in walmart).

Those who want to drive 50/60mph and stop at a campground after 6-8 hours of driving (300-500 miles of driving)... I am glad and it is nice when some have the time for a nice leisure traveling venture. Many don't have this situation of unlimited time or understanding of the wife and kids.

Each to his own.

Blessings

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Old 02-16-2015, 07:53 PM   #99

well said . . .
Old 02-16-2015, 08:28 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
IMHO WalMart is for shopping...campgrounds are specially design for camping !!
I don't camp in shopping centres parking...I pay for a site at a campground !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I agree 100%. If you can't afford a campground, sell the camper and rent a motel. JMO.
Can of worms here guys... but the point I was trying to make was using the good will of RV-friendly businesses who apparently *want* you to stop for the night (in return for your patronage perhaps)

I am just trying to understand the social mores of the genre.

Wal-Mart/Flying J/Cracker Barrel want you to stop (apparently according to their FAQ) and frankly I would rather pay cracker barrel (exemplar) $15.00 for breakfast as a thank you for being allowed to park in their lot overnight rather than some overpriced KOA where you are packed in like sardines for $20+ a night.

Not about affording anything - just trying to understand how some of these things work.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
Closed Thread

Tags
camper