Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #21

Mine plugs into the back of the 5ver.....I drilled a hole in the frame on the back and installed 3/8 inch eyebolt.....found a padlock large enough to go around the power cord and thru the eyebolt and lock it there. If somebody wants it....they will cut the cord....just making it harder to remove the whole thing.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
Mine plugs into the back of the 5ver.....I drilled a hole in the frame on the back and installed 3/8 inch eyebolt.....found a padlock large enough to go around the power cord and thru the eyebolt and lock it there. If somebody wants it....they will cut the cord....just making it harder to remove the whole thing.
Not a bad idea... Makes it a tooled job at least as opposed to a snatch job.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Captain, my friend, you are thinking to much and adding to much stress to your life. The camping areas that you will go will be fairly 'crime free'. These are 'family' areas with kids at play and kids will do what kids do. This will raise your stress level..... In camping many 'bad' things will happen, flat tire, propane ran out, bugs in the food, run out of beer, ect.... but almost no 'campers' go out of their way to steal from other campers. I will admire your 'flags' and camp chairs and awning lights and then go to camping world and buy my own, to toss away in two years.... As a retired public servant I am sure that you are 'carrying' for your and others 'protection'. please don't over react when someone 'admires' your rig and wants to be neighborly and you draw on them. Many travelers also carry and bad things could happen quickly. As a daddy bear, if I see that a piece is pointed at one of my kids, I will not hesitate to put something down range as fast as I can. 'Stuff' is not worth 'stressing' over when lives are involved. If you can not relax and not be
paranoid IN a campground, please sell your rig and stay home.

Brother Les, I'm not sure I'm your friend. Even though you may not have intended it, but I suspect you did, your message comes off as condescending and sarcastic. Maybe you just don't like cops and wanted to get a little cop bashing in from your "high moral ground". I was a police officer for 27 years. What you label as paranoia I call situational awareness. This kept me alive many times. Maybe you're one of those types that think bad things don't happen to you. Well I hope you're right, but I've been to many crime scenes and spoke to lots of victims that thought the same way. But some of them were never able to speak again if you get the drift. Crime in National Parks is on the rise, many of these being violent crimes. So much so that persons who can legally possess a firearm can now do so in many areas of these parks.
And most offensive was your veiled threat about me carrying a firearm and pointing it at children. I'm not an idiot. I was a police trainer for 20 years and instructed patrol rifle, pistol, shotgun, defensive tactics, and pursuit driving. I also have a teaching degree. Added to that I teach our states Concealed Weapon Permit classes and six more NRA firearms courses. I have also assisted in prosecuting people for using firearms illegally, some of which was due to their pure stupidity. So don't preach to me about careless use of a firearm. And yes, I can legally carry in most places anywhere in the US under federal law. But weather I do or not is none of your friggin business. But if you're somewhere and something bad happens, you'd better hope an off duty/retired cop or a legally armed civilian is there to protect those loved ones you speak of.
You got off topic and onto a soap box about cops and firearms. Since you said you may "put something down range" maybe you own a firearm. I hope your shooting skills, tactics, and mental preparation is up to the task, but I doubt it. Popping off rounds in a crowded camping area violates one of the prime safety rules.
Lastly, "relax and not be paranoid in a camp ground" or sell my rig? What ignorance. Criminals love victims like you. Do you have insurance on your rig, tow vehicle, home, self, etc? Are you afraid something might happen? Maybe you should stay at home.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #24

Right on, Captain. Very well said. I can't really understand a response like that to your original post. You raise a legitimate question. Having been robbed in an RV park I have a sense of "situational awareness" at all times not just at RV parks. I have a surge protector that I lock onto the shore post with a cable and lock. It's not paranoia, it's just common sense. I don't worry about being robbed again. I just know how the real world is out there. Theft and crimes do happen. No one is immune. We live in a gated community with 24 hour security and still lock our vehicles and doors at night as recommended by our security department. I would feel much safer camping where you are than someone without your training carrying a piece.
Greytdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #25
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Skippy View Post

Brother Les, I'm not sure I'm your friend. Even though you may not have intended it, but I suspect you did, your message comes off as condescending and sarcastic. Maybe you just don't like cops and wanted to get a little cop bashing in from your "high moral ground". I was a police officer for 27 years. What you label as paranoia I call situational awareness. This kept me alive many times. Maybe you're one of those types that think bad things don't happen to you. Well I hope you're right, but I've been to many crime scenes and spoke to lots of victims that thought the same way. But some of them were never able to speak again if you get the drift. Crime in National Parks is on the rise, many of these being violent crimes. So much so that persons who can legally possess a firearm can now do so in many areas of these parks.
And most offensive was your veiled threat about me carrying a firearm and pointing it at children. I'm not an idiot. I was a police trainer for 20 years and instructed patrol rifle, pistol, shotgun, defensive tactics, and pursuit driving. I also have a teaching degree. Added to that I teach our states Concealed Weapon Permit classes and six more NRA firearms courses. I have also assisted in prosecuting people for using firearms illegally, some of which was due to their pure stupidity. So don't preach to me about careless use of a firearm. And yes, I can legally carry in most places anywhere in the US under federal law. But weather I do or not is none of your friggin business. But if you're somewhere and something bad happens, you'd better hope an off duty/retired cop or a legally armed civilian is there to protect those loved ones you speak of.
You got off topic and onto a soap box about cops and firearms. Since you said you may "put something down range" maybe you own a firearm. I hope your shooting skills, tactics, and mental preparation is up to the task, but I doubt it. Popping off rounds in a crowded camping area violates one of the prime safety rules.
Lastly, "relax and not be paranoid in a camp ground" or sell my rig? What ignorance. Criminals love victims like you. Do you have insurance on your rig, tow vehicle, home, self, etc? Are you afraid something might happen? Maybe you should stay at home.
Oh my, I find it interesting when someone gets insulted and then insults right back. You could have stopped at the first couple sentences, and kept the high ground, but you didn't. I agree the the first post was out of line, but so was the response

PLEASE let's keep it non personnal and review your responses before sending.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #26

Great forum here guys! Let's keep it that way. The op question was good, check my mods album and you'll see what I have to secure the power cord and also for the portable surge protector. And yes, it does involve guns!!! Lol (gun locks, that is!)
Blessings!
Forest River Forums - Camping Buddys's Album: Camping buddys Surveyor 305 mods
Attached Images

https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #27
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
What if you tightly and securely locked the pedestal box after hooking up? If the plug can't be removed and the breaker can't be thrown... I've never tried cutting a live 120 v x 30 amp extension cord. Have you?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Oh my, I find it interesting when someone gets insulted and then insults right back. You could have stopped at the first couple sentences, and kept the high ground, but you didn't. I agree the the first post was out of line, but so was the response

PLEASE let's keep it non personnal and review your responses before sending.
X2

Great post garbonz!
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #29

This what I used to secure my surge guard, it's easy to do, protects the surge guard from walking off

Name:   image-2517603302.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  12.0 KB
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Skippy View Post
Thank-you for you service Captain. You are a sheep dog among the flock. (I hope and pray that you took being called a sheep dog as a compliment as that is what it is meant to be) People like you (and me) do make the flock nervous. We are all victims when we lose so much faith in the honesty and integrity and respect of and for our fellow man. We all work hard for every thing that we have and love and want to protect all of those near and dear to us. Each and everyone of us can plan and train and prepare for every event imaginable and as you know a split second to the left or right is all that could stand in the way of life or death, happiness or dis pare. I have never been one to stand in the crowd and watch when events unfold. I will refrain from giving you my full resume (I work with and know many police, firemen and EMTs, I know their lives and hardships of the work they do and the stress that they under go, it is very hard for many of them to just 'relax' for they are all 'on call' every minute of the day), but I will let you know too, that if I were looking for a legally armed person, the search would be short, because I am already there. When the SHTF, I have already refused to be a victim, but to survive and thrive. You are one of those also. I respect that. I want to offer my apologies to you, Captain for my tone and words as they came out. Life is to short to not to be lived. We will meet in a campground one day and I know that we can sit down together for a drink and food and conversion and look over the grounds and know that all is well for there are those watching who care, because you and I are sheep dogs watching over the flock.

Blessings

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Buddys View Post
Great forum here guys! Let's keep it that way. The op question was good, check my mods album and you'll see what I have to secure the power cord and also for the portable surge protector. And yes, it does involve guns!!! Lol (gun locks, that is!)
Blessings!
Forest River Forums - Camping Buddys's Album: Camping buddys Surveyor 305 mods
I use these gun locks for many things. Locking generator in truck or onto a cargo rack. Spare tires to boat trailer and ATV trailers. Gas cans, etc. Not theft proof but may stop an opportunist.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Thank-you for you service Captain. You are a sheep dog among the flock. (I hope and pray that you took being called a sheep dog as a compliment as that is what it is meant to be) People like you (and me) do make the flock nervous. We are all victims when we lose so much faith in the honesty and integrity and respect of and for our fellow man. We all work hard for every thing that we have and love and want to protect all of those near and dear to us. Each and everyone of us can plan and train and prepare for every event imaginable and as you know a split second to the left or right is all that could stand in the way of life or death, happiness or dis pare. I have never been one to stand in the crowd and watch when events unfold. I will refrain from giving you my full resume (I work with and know many police, firemen and EMTs, I know their lives and hardships of the work they do and the stress that they under go, it is very hard for many of them to just 'relax' for they are all 'on call' every minute of the day), but I will let you know too, that if I were looking for a legally armed person, the search would be short, because I am already there. When the SHTF, I have already refused to be a victim, but to survive and thrive. You are one of those also. I respect that. I want to offer my apologies to you, Captain for my tone and words as they came out. Life is to short to not to be lived. We will meet in a campground one day and I know that we can sit down together for a drink and food and conversion and look over the grounds and know that all is well for there are those watching who care, because you and I are sheep dogs watching over the flock.

Blessings
Thanks for the apology and I guess I owe an apology also. I took your statement as an attack. Guess I was wrong. Stay safe, train hard. We'll share that beverage some day.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #33

Most of the time I camp in sunny, hot climates. To protect my power cord from the sun, I run it through Sch 40 PVC conduit from the power post to the trailer. Not sure if this would work against theft, but the cord/connectors are completely covered. Just throwing it our here.
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #34

Secure Surge Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
I have not had anything go missing from a RV park, but I don't do the boondocking were you would think things would be less secure? With 50 amp power cord and a $335 electric power/surge protector maybe I should worry?
Try this, take a good size pad lock, slide the surge cable between the u shaped shank, take a chain and wrap it around the power post then run the lock thru the chain and close the shank. They might get your regular power cord but not the surge protector. Surge protector 350.00 bucks, chain & lock, priceless.
Phil Casey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power