Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 07:00 AM   #1
Millarclan

Auto Dumping Awning

Need advice or tips/tricks, we just purchased a new 5th Wheel Sureyor. It came with an electric auto dumping awning. My concern is the amount of water the awning holds before it will dump? Seems to hold a really excessive amount of water, concerned about breaking the awning. Any advice tips or adjustment I can make?
Millarclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:12 AM   #2

If yours has a the tilt feature also....tilt it to not let so much water settle on the top.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #3

If you have this type of awning this will show you how to use and maintain...

Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
TigerPride

I think I know what awning they have it is not adjustable the worst design ever we had one on our trailrunner and hated it. When shopping for our new 5er not having that awning was a must would rather a manual awning if the power one was not adjustable. Tip: if u leave slack in the awning the water will run off before it pools up in the middle of it hope this helps good luck
cajunrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #5

We have the Care Free power awning on our Berkshire and love the way it works. We had a unexpected down pour last week and had the awning out we came home with no damage and no water on the awning. It puts its self in when the wind gets to strong and has 3 setting for that feature. I wish we had more room under it but thats because of the slide on that side. Not sure what brand you have but ours works as it should and I love it.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millarclan View Post
Need advice or tips/tricks, we just purchased a new 5th Wheel Sureyor. It came with an electric auto dumping awning. My concern is the amount of water the awning holds before it will dump? Seems to hold a really excessive amount of water, concerned about breaking the awning. Any advice tips or adjustment I can make?
If it is a new trailer, it has the adjustable arms and you should ALWAYS set one end at least 4"-6" lower and not depend on the auto dump. Suggest a set of tie down poles also.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:52 PM   #7

So are you making the poles?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
So are you making the poles?
No, just the kit for attaching your own poles.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #9
Millarclan

Thanks for the tips, mine does not have the adjustable knobs , will try other options
Millarclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millarclan View Post
Thanks for the tips, mine does not have the adjustable knobs , will try other options
If it is a Dometic/A&E you can buy the adjustable arms. More than worth the cost to keep from bowing the tube. If not, I would get some poles and tie one side down lower than the other.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #11

A trick my rv dealer showed me when we purchased our new trailer with an electric awning is that when you open your awning put it out all the way then retract it in about a half a turn on the pole. Water doesn't pool on the awning and runs off. We even weathered a storm the other day with very heavy winds and a tornado hit a few miles away with no issues.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #12

That is not a 'trick', it is in the instructions for your awning.
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:36 AM   #13

We have the self dumping awnings on our new TT but I still tilt my awning when it rains. This past weekend even with the awning tilted enough water built up on the awning so it "dumped" the load. I happen to be under the awning at the time, scared the crap out of me. Once I realized what happened I gave the awning even more tilt, since it was evidently raining harder than the tilt would allow it to drain. Have to admit though the self dumping is pretty cool.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #14

For the Dometic awning....the adjustable arms are available for free at a lot of RV(dealer) stores. Got mine there and they are free....takes about 15 minutes to install.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
For the Dometic awning....the adjustable arms are available for free at a lot of RV(dealer) stores. Got mine there and they are free....takes about 15 minutes to install.
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and usually lurk trying to take in all the information I can but I have an older (2007) Dometic 9100 power awning that didn't have the adjustable arms. Unfortunately I collapsed and arm and had to replace it to the tune of about $350 in addition to the new fabric. The new arm has the 'drop down' arm which is a great feature. I was planning on replacing the other arm with the new style but figured it would cost about another $350. Are you saying they will give you the drop down piece to put in the older arms???

Steve
4x4FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4FF View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and usually lurk trying to take in all the information I can but I have an older (2007) Dometic 9100 power awning that didn't have the adjustable arms. Unfortunately I collapsed and arm and had to replace it to the tune of about $350 in addition to the new fabric. The new arm has the 'drop down' arm which is a great feature. I was planning on replacing the other arm with the new style but figured it would cost about another $350. Are you saying they will give you the drop down piece to put in the older arms???

Steve
Yes....Dometic has supplied the dealer with the adjustable arms for no cost. They were made available for the earlier models that did not have the adjustable feature on them. I had called Dometic about these and was told what to do. Went to a local rv dealer and they had about a dozen in stock. They handed one to me and it took about 15 minutes to install.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #17

Just an update for those with the older non-adjustable arms on the Dometic 9100. After calling my local RV dealer who had no interest at all in helping me out, I called dometic. The update for the arm is part no. 3312508.017B. At first the gal from dometic said it was $23 plus $15 shipping. She said they used to be free but now they charged for them. I asked her when they stopped charging she had me hold on (for about 10 min.'s) then came back and told me they will ship one (1) free to a customer any more and they will have to charge for it. Apparently this update kit is only good for the left hand (or rear) arm. As the wiring goes through the right (front) arms apparently they changed the wiring route and it is not compatible with the update kit. The only way to get the 'slider' on the front awning arm is to replace the entire arm for about $330.

This is what I was told today by Dometic. If anybody has any other experience let me know. Has anyone changed and added the 'slider' to the front arm??

Steve
Old 09-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4FF View Post
Just an update for those with the older non-adjustable arms on the Dometic 9100. After calling my local RV dealer who had no interest at all in helping me out, I called dometic. The update for the arm is part no. 3312508.017B. At first the gal from dometic said it was $23 plus $15 shipping. She said they used to be free but now they charged for them. I asked her when they stopped charging she had me hold on (for about 10 min.'s) then came back and told me they will ship one (1) free to a customer any more and they will have to charge for it. Apparently this update kit is only good for the left hand (or rear) arm. As the wiring goes through the right (front) arms apparently they changed the wiring route and it is not compatible with the update kit. The only way to get the 'slider' on the front awning arm is to replace the entire arm for about $330. This is what I was told today by Dometic. If anybody has any other experience let me know. Has anyone changed and added the 'slider' to the front arm?? Steve
Sorry to say it, but the lady is trying to get in your hip pocket. The slide arms will fit both sides. The wiring is not a problem as it goes under the pivots.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #19

I figured that was the case. I'll call them back next week and see if I can get one shipped to me.

Steve
Old 09-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #20

I would call a few other rv places to see if they have them in stock. I know the place I got mine from always keeps at least in stock for us with the older 9100 series awnings.

Tags
awning