RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #41

Definitely use some type of tie down if leaving trailer

About 10 yrs ago we started trailer camping and were sitting outside in an open campground when some winds came thru. We saw the awning being blown up and over on a new Keystone trailer's roof tearing off the hinges at the roof. There was no tie down and the owners had left. I would suggest some tie downs. I use ropes with a strong bungee cord inline all of the time and retract the awning if the wind starts blowing too hard. Mother nature (wind) can get under awnings and do some damage to the awning itself or the trailer also.
huskylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:44 PM   #42
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I suppose it must depend on your geographic area. I've been camping 50 years and haven't seen 'dozens' of awnings wrapped over R/V roofs from just a gust of wind.

Yes we've seen some damaged awnings from microbursts and where tornadoes went through a campground but that is different.

And while we don't have an awning on our house, (although Sunsetter sells a ton of them for houses) we do have a covered porch and enjoy setting there in the mornings and evenings.

The R/V awning allows us to accomplish the same when we are traveling about.

It is all what YOU are comfortable with.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
while most folks will almost always 'automatically' run out the awning when they arrive at a campground or rv park, an awning is really only needed if either the sun is bothering you(or it could help cool the coach if the sun is harsh), or it's raining.

Most folks houses don't have awning, yet we feel like we 'have' to have our RV awning out because, after all, it's an RV, right?! It's really only needed if you feel YOU need it.

Lol. In the South...we have a front porch.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:36 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
I'm rather cautious with the use of my awning because I've seen a couple of cases of severe wind damage on rigs when owners left their awnings extended and weren't there when the wind came up. I've seen awnings left extended most of the time, I've seen them hardly used at all, and I've seen everything in between. I tend to keeping it retracted most of the time, especially when there's any breeze blowing. Am I being overly cautious? How/when do you extend your awning? I'm curious to learn if there's a preference among users of this forum. Thanks.
You can add a wind sensor that will automatically retract the awning in light, medium or high winds.....the way to,go...
ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
I'm rather cautious with the use of my awning because I've seen a couple of cases of severe wind damage on rigs when owners left their awnings extended and weren't there when the wind came up. I've seen awnings left extended most of the time, I've seen them hardly used at all, and I've seen everything in between. I tend to keeping it retracted most of the time, especially when there's any breeze blowing. Am I being overly cautious? How/when do you extend your awning? I'm curious to learn if there's a preference among users of this forum. Thanks.

Last two rigs came with power awnings. We had dealer replace them with the old style.

Without triangles in the support structure, you are asking for eventual breakdown.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #46

I lost a 20' awning on my old TT that we still have, this past winter in Illinois. Place we store it at called to let me know. Awning was rolled up and still lost it with one ending on top of the roof. Most likely will not replace it, as TT only used once a year for hunting. RV shop wants nearly $750 for parts and labor would be added to that. Only thing I have done so far is cut the canopy off the damaged roller. Still have to figure how I will get home to remove the hardware as roller completely broke off at top of front bar .
Do have insurance with a $500 deductible but haven't called agent yet. May do that when I get home with my 5th.
I have always tried to keep them in when not in camp and at night. Never know what might blow in while gone or at night.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 SRW Duramax
Demco AutoSlide 18k
GMRCK25D - Rear Axle Timbren SES Suspension Upgrade
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:10 PM   #47

We put it out whenever it is reasonable to do so. If the right side of our 2014 Forrester is toward the sun, the awning helps keep the coach cool. As others have said, we have tiedowns. I don't have a lot of faith in them. If they're needed, I think, they may not be enough, or may cause problems of their own. Any hint of wind and we roll it up. I rolled it up in a strong wind, once, and it was concerning until fully retracted.
Jan Gerstner. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:14 PM   #48

We never leave ours out when we are gone. We have had to get up in the middle of the night to reel it in because of wind
Old 05-02-2019, 11:26 PM   #49

I put it out for bbqs where they squish you in with trailers on both sides. Mine are tied down (to a trailered generator) and I still will pull it in of getting too windy.

I also leave my trailer unlocked if left out and I am not there. I have been to many campgrounds where people will bring them in for you if weather gets bad. If you lock the trailer they leave it alone.

Had a friend lose his twice on his airstream. Once to wind in MO and once to sleet in AZ.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190406_085211.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	203557Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190502-232357_Gallery.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	203558
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:27 AM   #50

Awning in or out

Have had a permanent parked trailer of different sizes for over 40 years. It comes down in the month of May and back up again for winter at the end of October. We have never had any issues. I drop it down to its lowest point when we go home each week and tie down to arm mounts located on deck. No rips or tears from wind ever. Located in an area with variety of trees in park as well. So yes its all up to the owner as to what they do. In or out !!👍
38BHDS2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:01 AM   #51

Most folks houses don't have awning, yet we feel like we 'have' to have our RV awning out because, after all, it's an RV, right?! It's really only needed if you feel YOU need it.[/QUOTE]

Sit on the porch at the house! Never out unattended. otherwise always out unless windy day. At any sign of wind, roll 'er up.

I leave mine open 2-3 feet at night sometimes just to cove chairs,, table,,,,,,
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #52

Sounds like the best advice is to have a weather app or some other way of checking weather.
Tim wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:11 AM   #53
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim wen View Post
Sounds like the best advice is to have a weather app or some other way of checking weather.
HA! No weather app or weatherman can get it right for a particular spot.
Generalizations only. What is happening here can be completely different 10 miles away.

This is the best weather app...
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim wen View Post
Always have one with us (weather radio). Programmable and I put in the county where we're staying at the time. Any warnings for area sets it off.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:59 AM   #55

awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
HA! No weather app or weatherman can get it right for a particular spot.
Generalizations only. What is happening here can be completely different 10 miles away.

This is the best weather app...

Good point.
Tim wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #56

Rv girl

Coming from the service side of RV industry, I have seen too many instances of damaged awnings. Now that the majority are just having to push a button to put in and out, I would highly suggest putting it away. Mother Nature is truly finicky wherever you live. These awnings are about $2500 to replace. So if you have disposable income you're good but if you are like the rest of us that are always watching our dollars...I would suggest responding on the conservative side and putting it away! You will be a happier Camper!
Happy Camping!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #57

In Buffalo, WY:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weather Rock.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	203593  

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:41 PM   #58
Part timer

We put ours out when we want to sit under it and bring it in when weíre done sitting under it. It has a wind sensor system but I donít need the aggravation of having it repaired if something unexpected occurs. We were in Tucson end of February first of March, woke up one Friday morning with 4Ē of wet snow on the ground, weather man hadnít called for snow except above 5k feet, you just never know...
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ tow/trail ride
Southeastern Tennessee
BBC Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:24 AM   #59

We have an older style mechanical roll out with the arms that are basically in the way unless you stand them straight up and anchor them in the ground, which we do for obvious reasons, stability safety and strength. The new awnings R2 cheap and even if mine rips off I will not be going that route with the scissor arms, or electric motors. They all seem very weak, cheap and frankly easy to bend or break. We leave ours out and adjust the height for the weather at hand daily. So far so good.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:48 AM   #60
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
Our first year ... out at a CCC CG when the wind woke us up at 4 a.m. rocking the camper ... yanked the lights down but forgot the S hooks so managed to put a few skylights in our awning (that gorilla tape still keeps the rain out). We now tend to err on the side of caution.
I smiled at this as I happen to do the same thing and yep Gorilla tap works great. Mine will get replace when the new awning fabric that has been ordered comes in. Later RJED
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning