Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #1

Awning protection when stored??

On my last TT I had to replace the awning after a few years because the fabric rotted (exposed area when rolled up). I've thought about placing a length of PVC gutter over the awning when stored. I'm just concerned this may do more harm than good. Anyone have their own way of protecting their stored awning, other than a full TT cover?
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I wipe down the material with Roof UV protectant when I do the roof.
So far the awnings look new.

A bit frayed at the edges due to winds in Key West though. I am thinking of putting a vinyl tape on the frayed edge.

As to your awning trouble, have you tried a wide white vinyl tape to repair it?
http://www.conservationmart.com/p-35...-460-k008.aspx
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I alleays clean mine really good and wipe down with a viny protectant as Herk.
I store mine inside which helps.
also I always make sure awning is dry before storing during in season use. If its raining when we pack up for the weekend I unroll it when we get home to dry.
also during in season use on weeks were not using it and it rains I unroll it again to dry. I don't know how moisture gets in it rolled up but it does.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I wipe down the material with Roof UV protectant when I do the roof.
So far the awnings look new.

A bit frayed at the edges due to winds in Key West though. I am thinking of putting a vinyl tape on the frayed edge.

As to your awning trouble, have you tried a wide white vinyl tape to repair it?
Venture Tape 3 x150 White Vinyl Tape 460-K008
I used a similiar tape on it for a year and the tape looked good, but I'd look at the awning a week later and it would have more spots delaminating. I finally gave up and spent $600 on new fabric. Then I replaced all the tires and ended up trading it a month later Lol.

I will try the protectant you and F1100 suggested. The sun here is relentless and I may try the PVC gutter also and see how it works.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I alleays clean mine really good and wipe down with a viny protectant as Herk.
I store mine inside which helps.
also I always make sure awning is dry before storing during in season use. If its raining when we pack up for the weekend I unroll it when we get home to dry.
also during in season use on weeks were not using it and it rains I unroll it again to dry. I don't know how moisture gets in it rolled up but it does.
I always make sure mine is completely dry also and it's always wet when I unroll it. One of life's great mysteries I guess.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #6

Ok, I thought that maybe I was just losing it, (and maybe I still am,) but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with the "I opened it to dry out, rolled it back up, and now it's wet again" awning mystery. Is this just something that normally happens and I'm going to have to open the awning to dry after every rain, even though it's rolled up during the rain?
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Ok, I thought that maybe I was just losing it, (and maybe I still am,) but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with the "I opened it to dry out, rolled it back up, and now it's wet again" awning mystery. Is this just something that normally happens and I'm going to have to open the awning to dry after every rain, even though it's rolled up during the rain?
Water in the awning is one of life's great mysteries, lol. I'm guessing some sort of wicking effect takes place. Mines always dry when I roll it up and always wet when when it's unrolled.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #8

awning protection

the awning protection any brand name recomended and what it is called also how is it applied?
thanks ahead of time
salty
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
On my last TT I had to replace the awning after a few years because the fabric rotted (exposed area when rolled up). I've thought about placing a length of PVC gutter over the awning when stored. I'm just concerned this may do more harm than good. Anyone have their own way of protecting their stored awning, other than a full TT cover?

I have used the split PVC pipe for about 6 years one three trailer awning and it never damaged or stained the awning fabric. The one thing to be aware of it to strap it to the awning very good. I live in the SW and the wind gets pretty strong out here. I have had one blow off and into the neighbors yard.

Ron Whiddon
19rwhid35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19rwhid35 View Post
I have used the split PVC pipe for about 6 years one three trailer awning and it never damaged or stained the awning fabric. The one thing to be aware of it to strap it to the awning very good. I live in the SW and the wind gets pretty strong out here. I have had one blow off and into the neighbors yard.

Ron Whiddon
Thanks for the info. What size and type of pipe are you using?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19rwhid35 View Post

Ron Whiddon
I think it was the 4 inch rigid sewer pipe, made from PVC, off-white color. Remember, you will be sawing this round tube in half, length wise. Length, as example, if you have a 16 ft awning, don't just buy an eight footer, get a 10 ft. Then when it is split, it will be 20 ft. and will give you 2 ft from each end to lap over each other. Then, one each end of the lap over, drill a hole on each side of the arc overlap and put flat head screws in with head inside and nuts, flats & locks on the outside. This will protect the awning from the hardward, but will hold the the overlapped ends together. Wish I could draw you a picture. The first one I made, I used PVC pipe cement, but this kept me from being able to later adjust the length if I need to, and I later did need to. I can not take credit for this cover. I first learned of it from an article in Trailer Life years ago.

This unit will serve you well for protecting your awning from the sun.

I also see that you live in GA. I am an ole GA boy myself, from Barnesville, but I have not lived in GA since 1976.

19rwhid35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #12

Grey plastic part on Dometic awning?

Yes, my awning was opened for first cleaning since purchase of this FEMA about eighteen months ago. Ooohh the smell! I used the multisurface kitchen cleaner with the big armed bald guy on it. It states what bacteria it protects against and the odor was gone after I had sponge wiped both sides every inch. It was my novice opening and I had no idea what I was doing. Inadvertently a rip appeared and I had some Dicor tape nearby to place over the damaged area. I hope this worked. Thanks for your advice.
hilloah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #13

I bought this awning cover from an RV parts store, and I love it. It works very well to keep the summer sun from destroying the fabric...
I have heard of people leaving them in place and driving with them still on...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning