Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #1

Axle Questions / Discussion

What a labor day of camping...instead of relaxing it quickly became laborious. For starters before the main discussion...picked up trailer and No Power. So day started with getting a new converter and wiring in as the old one had significant burnout in the back panel. Headed down the road on Friday and began hearing an odd noise from the trailer. Started out as me asking the "What's that noise?" question to the Wife and her reply was of course "What noise?". Should have went with my gut and stopped but continued on until the noise was certainly odd. We pulled off the main hwy to find the bearings blown, smoke, and grease / metal particles all over where the bearings should be. The spindle didn't fare well and it's looking like a new axle. Got a tow back to the house to drop camper and we continued to the campground after picking up the ole faithful Tent. Nice but dammit I'm spoiled now and wanted a fridge, Air, mattress...etc. Awe well...this brings me to my question(s).

Camper: Rockwood HW252 GW 3300 single axle electric brakes.

Trying to make lemonade out of this situation I'm thinking about converting from Leaf to Torsion and replacing the complete system: brakes, Hubs, and axle on both sides.

1) I've read enough positives on Torsion Axles to think this is how I'll go
2) Any suggestions on what manufacturer to have make the Axle?
3) I'm also thinking about getting an axle designed for more weight...will this simply stiffen the ride or will it offer some additional security against future failure? I think it has a 3500 # axle currently and I was thinking I'd get a 5000# axle (I'm aware the frame can only handle 3300 but thought with a stronger axle it may prevent a repeat of this).
4) Any comments on this being a DIY job...converting from Spring to Torsion

Thanks and any feedback would be appreciated.
thaithco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

"Without pictures; it did not happen" - Old Coot (I believe)

Seriously; been there; done that.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post458565

Glad you got it safely parked and everyone is safe.
Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #3

You had to get your trailer towed back home, but you still went camping!

I'm not sure that a bigger axle will reduce the risk of failure or not. If the bearing isn't greased properly, installed incorrectly, etc, it could still fail. I don't think it would hurt though. My only thought on this however is that the camber of the tire may be slightly different with a 5000# axle since it would be bent to achieve proper camber at a larger load than the 3500# axle. Maybe not a big enough difference for any impact, just a thought I had. 3500 to 5000 isn't a huge jump.

The torsion axle may cause the trailer to sit lower, so consider installing it on spacers between the axle and frame to ensure you get enough ground clearance for stabs, dump valves, etc.

The manufactures that come to mind are Lippert and Dexter. Not sure, but you might be able to buy it complete with hubs and brakes too.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle