RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-23-2019, 11:30 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post

Also, while still pulling forward, I swing the truck so the trailer is already starting in the right direction.

Hope that helps.

In my humble opinion. This the best thing you can do and practice this in the parking lot.

Setting yourself up at the beginning really helps!

Also a backup camera makes it easier.

Good Luck.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:59 PM   #42

Orange cones

I place orange cones as to where I need to be. Both to let me know how far to back up and how far over I can go, I have a slide out. I get out when I have to and second check. Have been doing this for 3 years and so far no issues. Always check for branches above.... EZ. I donít try and back in the dark
Traveler_GAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:03 AM   #43

Put out colored cups along desired path of tires...

I have found that putting out a few red or yellow solo cups along the arc that I want the trailer tires to follow into parked position makes it real easy to follow that line and end up exactly where the wheels need to be. Works for me,,,I keep a stack of cups ready in the storage bin just for parking.
Doc Southerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:07 AM   #44

That works too. I don’t use the big cones they are like the kids toy soccer cones 7” or the emergency cones. LOL. With the winds here in NM I have to have a little bit of weight to them or id have to chase them all down.
Make memories
Traveler_GAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:43 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
I agree with you, here is our solution: DW is my spotter and what really helps us is her iPhone is Bluetooth to the TV. We both can talk while concentrating on the task at hand. She is always in my mirror or in front of me. Plus we walk the site before backing in.
This is the way we do it also.
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:57 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler_GAL View Post
I place orange cones as to where I need to be. Both to let me know how far to back up and how far over I can go, I have a slide out. I get out when I have to and second check. Have been doing this for 3 years and so far no issues. Always check for branches above.... EZ. I donít try and back in the dark
Sometimes you can't help backing up in the dark. So I bought this rope light to lay down and mark the path into the spot. I target the trailer tire maybe a foot or so off the rope light line. Easy backing to the drivers side.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:22 AM   #47

cones, telephones, walkie talkies, backup cameras, strip lights, spotters, Bluetooth.!!

Sheese, How did my Daddy ever do it.

Learn to use your mirrors and back the #$%$% thing up. By your self.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:18 AM   #48

Practice practice practice like has already been said. Just remember easy turn your steering wheel the opposite direction you want to trailer to go. And for me over 40 years Iíve always used a spinner knob or what some call a suicide knob. You can sit in the seat normal use the mirrors and one hand on the knob. Works great with my pick up truck and my 34 foot TT.
Docjava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:08 AM   #49
Dryflycaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJCF2 View Post
Remember, if you can't see your spotter, your spotter can't see you.

Practice is a good thing.

Jim
First thing, every time, I remind my wife
"If you can't see my mirror then I can't see you"

Spotters have a tendency to migrate toward the center of the trailer.

Go Slow, You don't get extra points for doing it quickly !

_bill

2017 RAM 2500 Cummings Diesel
2017 Forest River Avenger 27DBS
dryflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #50

Backing a new TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by benatk View Post
I just got a new 30' TT and I am having a heck of a time backing that thing. This is the longest trailer I've ever had (20' before this). Can anyone suggest a good way to back that thing into a site? I went and did some practicing in a vacant parking lot and I noticed the backend doesn't respond as quickly as it did in my 20 footer. This is driving me nuts! HELP!

Go to the busiest campground you can find. Back it in there. More than likely you will get 4 or 5 helpers. After all their help you will realize how really smart you actually are without them!!

Other than that a church or school parking lot are great places to practice. Practice is your best friend!!

Russell
CAT-RN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
Lost my first wife that way. Lesson learned.

Go to the hardware store and buy 20 feet of yellow rope. Lay that along the side of your campsite as to where the trailer wheels should be lined up.
Great tip!
Always need a point to aim for and have reference points.

I find moving the TV forward and back just a bit helps trying to keep the angles at a minimum.
ch1ch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Go to the busiest campground you can find. Back it in there. More than likely you will get 4 or 5 helpers. After all their help you will realize how really smart you actually are without them!!

Other than that a church or school parking lot are great places to practice. Practice is your best friend!!

Russell

Talk about putting a man on the spot. While very true one or more people will ď helpĒ. My experience ( as driver and as person being entertained) is when backing in busy campground most people pull up lawn chairs and grab a cold one to watch the show.

Also very true he will do better without there help

Follow the advise pre positioning of the trailer, try to back in left as stated before.

Learning your spotter is also very helpful. My wifeís job is now just making sure I donít hit anything. She hasnít learned to look at the angle trl is headed or when I need to start correcting my turns. She usually weights until the back of the trl is exactly where I say I want it to be before she says anything. Nothing more frustrating then straightening the truck for the last 20 ft and then hear her say ď ok start straightening outĒ
When we travel with friends I spot for him and he spots for me. We donít communicate well either I give directions based on trailer position. He yells which way to turn steering wheel.
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:22 AM   #53

Figure out quickly how far you can turn the wheel before you jam the truck into the trailer. You don't want to damage either. That will give you an idea of how much you can turn the truck while backing up. My new trailer has a better A frame angle than the older one, so I can turn it much more sharply.

I drive in towards the site and do the "scoop" maneuver to get a better angle when I can. I then tell the wife to tell me when the trailer wheels are past the campsite entrance, since that side's wheels will be the main pivot point. I then start cranking it in backwards and make small adjustments as needed. I have no problem stopping and pulling forward to get a better angle. You'll find that a LOT of campgrounds have fairly narrow roads lined with trees, ditches or obstructions, so making many adjustments will be necessary (I give myself a large buffer to avoid truck/trailer contact).

I give my wife three jobs when she's spotting. Watch the trailer back, sides and top; watch the truck/trailer contact; and watch the front of my truck if I'm close to something. I'll stop and tell her, via phone, to walk around and check something. BTW, I'd recommend walkie talkies for those times when cell service is spotty.

The biggest surprise for me, and the wife, was how slowly the back of the trailer pivots around compared to the truck turning. Once I hit my max turn, telling me "turn it faster" does nothing. It will do what it will do.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #54

You have a lot of good advice here (some seemingly contradictory). Of all these tips the most useful in my experience is be patient. It is not a contest. Donít let anyoneís hurry (even your own) rush this process. Avoid drastic or excessive turns. Slow and methodical will work best.

One last tip is from my friends at Long Long Honeymoon who do a great job showing a neat little technique to line your trailer up to back in. https://youtu.be/RLtfrBWzNCw
GScott423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #55

I am a retired truck driver. And old timer told me years ago ď Look in your mirrors, drive the trailer where you want it to go, the tractor(pickup) will followĒ. He helped me then and still does.
GOOFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:17 PM   #56

longer the trailer the easier it is. now that I can back my 43 footer I cant back my 10 foot landscape trailer to save my life.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #57
WV Rambler

Watch the Tires

You are 100% correct that everything happens more slowly with a longer trailer, but that really makes it easier in the long run.

Best advice I can pass along is what my dad taught me, which is to watch the tires on the camper. We had a 35' Monitor when I was 16 and he taught me to back it in using this method (although as I look back, he was crazy to trust a 16 year old!).

As you back in, picture a path on the ground where you want the tires to be. Imagine a painted line in a curve right to where you want the tires to be when you are finished. If you worry about the tail of the trailer you will be constantly overcorrecting. But watching the tires, which don't move left and right as much as the tongue or rear end since they are closer to the center of trailer, will help keep you from doing anything dramatic with the wheel.

Have a spotter, picture where the trailer tires should be when you are finished, and watch those tires in your side view mirror (on the short side - meaning drivers side if backing in to the left and passengers side if backing in to the right). Adjust your steering wheel to keep the tires on the imaginary path in your mind's eye until the tires are right where you want them.

And YES have a spotter. Always make sure the spotter is visible in the side view mirror you are using the most. Take your time, and you'll get it.

Good luck!
kraushad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #58

Lots of good advice in this thread.

For me:

- Reps, reps, reps. Practice makes perfect.
- Take your time. Rushing this activity will cost you later.
- Use a spotter when you can. Agree with common nomenclature and line of sight. (If you can't see me, I can't see you.)
- If no spotter, use a camera if you can. Not essential but saves me time from having to get out of the truck, walk around and see where I'm at on the blindside.

I don't know if it's just me, but I really enjoy parking the rig. The first time I parked the new TT (32' hitch to rear bumper) at the storage lot I nailed it first try with a small assist from the spotter. Very satisfying.

Itís not camping but glamping is better than nothing.
RamFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #59

You can not back up slow enough. If you think you are going slow, then slow down more.

Make the slightest of adjustments. If you think you made a small adjustment, make a smaller one.

Did I mention to go slow?

First few times (like maybe 253 or so), get out and look every few feet. Then your EYES will see what you just did and register it. This is how learning occurs.

OH, one more thing. Slow down.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #60

Drove semi's for twenty years before changeing to Law Enforcement.
I use to blind sight a 53 ft box trailer most days and when I ran city I would put a 33ft trailer into city alleys.
Set your self up on your most forward position. It will respond slower to your short trailers.........use more extreme steering wheel movement. Stick your head out the window to "sight in" also..........mirrors lie.
No distractions, partner with a radio to guide you in with clear directions understood by both.
Take your time. No foul in taking a break after a 3rd attempt........take your time.
Backing is fun!!!! I love it. I think I drive backwards better than forward at times LOL
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote