Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2022, 02:00 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
My wife and I have fantastic communication when backing into a spot. She yells "Stop!" if I am about to hit something. Everything else is on me.
Hilarious [emoji23], and so true [emoji106]
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:18 AM   #22

My wife and I have a great system for backing up. She sits in the passenger seat and and looks straight ahead so she doesn’t block my view of the mirrors. The day that I can’t back up my rig without assistance is the day I quit RVing.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:26 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
My wife and I have a great system for backing up. She sits in the passenger seat and and looks straight ahead so she doesn’t block my view of the mirrors. The day that I can’t back up my rig without assistance is the day I quit RVing.
The thread topic is about backing up a trailer, not a motorhome. It's much easier to backup a motorhome. Backing a trailer is a much different animal.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:31 AM   #24

Quote:
My wife and I have fantastic communication when backing into a spot. She yells "Stop!" if I am about to hit something. Everything else is on me.
Sounds like how we do it.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:34 AM   #25

Parking and backing

My wife and partner is handicapped. She is unable to physically assist, thus everything is up to me. I do it all! I connect our TT to our truck. I drive to the location and put the trailer always in a back-in location. Although legally available, we don't use a handicap spot.

The term G O A L is mandatory. GET OUT AND LOOK. Never had an issue, even backing around an S turn into a spot. No backup camera either. Side mirrors are all that is needed. I don't consider myself any better driver than anyone else. I am not and have never been a "professional driver". There is a clear-cut definite procedure for backing a trailer. Learn it! Practice it! It works every time. I ignore anyone coming over to assist. They are distracting. I've actually stopped, got out, and asked them to return to their campsite.

I always pull up to the campsite, stop, get out and look it over for any obstacles, climb back in the truck, and put the trailer in the spot exactly as needed, the first time. I'll have our trailer in the spot, set up, level, and secure, and having my cocktail while others are still waving their arms, yelling at each other, pulling up, backing up, running over things, and then have to move it to get it in the spot level and secure. It is pure entertainment. Better than the 3 Stooges on TV.

No sympathy or other expressions, please. I'm fortunate to have a great wife and partner of 40 years. We enjoy camping together and will continue to do so until physically and mentally unable to do so. In the meantime, I do things single-handed.

Our first trailer was 20 ft ball to bumper. The current one is 32 ft ball to bumper. There is no difference in procedure and methods.

Remember G O A L

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:55 AM   #26

I could never get the bottom of the steering wheel technique down it just was never comfortable for me.

As far as communication goes my wife and I do pretty darn well together. Generally when we pull into a campsite I take a good look at our spot and I tell her what objects I'm concerned about hitting. From there she jumps out and stays on the driver side of the truck and camper so I can always see her. From there I just take it nice and slow and if I have a concern about something I just ask how things are looking and if she's unsure I either get out and look myself or straighten things up a bit and continue.

I can only remember getting frustrated once while backing in and it's funny because it was a really big site so she was unsure of how far away from the fire pit the trailer should be LOL.
Moho81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:06 AM   #27

My wife usually helps me back in and I know she thinks I'm number 1 cause she gives me a lot of single finger gestures. Nice to be loved....
Old 09-12-2022, 08:35 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
We became friends with a couple at our campground the first year we became seasonal at it because they had this kind of communication.

He was trying to back the trailer up into their site without hitting their deck. The problem was she was a little slow at letting him know when to stop.

"Am I good?"
"Yes!"
*CLUNK*
"Stop!"

We helped them get settled in and have been friends since then.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Oops! Should have listed a 3rd tip:

Redeploy your oldest measuring tape as a guide for how far out your slides, bunks, awning and patio mat will extend from the RV's outside walls when set up. Mark the tape with a colorful Sharpie at each of the above measurements. Carol handles the measuring and gives me the thumbs-up before I turn off the truck and get out. I'm sure that has saved us from having to re-park on any number of occasions...especially when we are tired and/or parking in low light.

We just purchased a laser measuring device to see if that would work without the hassle of the tape flexing when trying to reach longer distances. The idea here is to have your laser against the tree/obstacle and project its beam at the RV's side. The result can be compared against a list of critical distances taped to the laser.

I'll still carry a tape measure 'cause, you know, they're useful for other stuff!
Though not as high tech, we bought a wooden dowel about 7 years ago. Its about 1/2" thick and 4' long. We put the slide out and put the dowel up to the trailer and marked off how far the slide sticks out from the trailer (plus a margin of error, to include the slide topper that sticks out a few inches). Now I keep it next to the level. When we arrive at a campsite, and get the trailer in the spot we think we want it, pull out the dowel and use it to determine if the slide will hit the tree (that always seems to end up next to the slide, lol). So far it has been foolproof and 100% accurate. I do enjoy the high tech gadgets though, so I am a little disappointed my mind went so low tech for my original (and literal) "measuring stick"

Old 09-12-2022, 08:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Oops! Should have listed a 3rd tip:

Redeploy your oldest measuring tape as a guide for how far out your slides, bunks, awning and patio mat will extend from the RV's outside walls when set up. Mark the tape with a colorful Sharpie at each of the above measurements. Carol handles the measuring and gives me the thumbs-up before I turn off the truck and get out. I'm sure that has saved us from having to re-park on any number of occasions...especially when we are tired and/or parking in low light.

We just purchased a laser measuring device to see if that would work without the hassle of the tape flexing when trying to reach longer distances. The idea here is to have your laser against the tree/obstacle and project its beam at the RV's side. The result can be compared against a list of critical distances taped to the laser.

I'll still carry a tape measure 'cause, you know, they're useful for other stuff!
I use a similar laser measurer for my work and just be forewarned that even in moderate sunlight that laser beam can't be seen even in a short distance. You still have the tape measure as a backup though so your still good there.

Just figured I'd let you know before you found out on your own.
Moho81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
Though not as high tech, we bought a wooden dowel about 7 years ago. Its about 1/2" thick and 4' long. We put the slide out and put the dowel up to the trailer and marked off how far the slide sticks out from the trailer (plus a margin of error, to include the slide topper that sticks out a few inches). Now I keep it next to the level. When we arrive at a campsite, and get the trailer in the spot we think we want it, pull out the dowel and use it to determine if the slide will hit the tree (that always seems to end up next to the slide, lol). So far it has been foolproof and 100% accurate. I do enjoy the high tech gadgets though, so I am a little disappointed my mind went so low tech for my original (and literal) "measuring stick"

i am even more low tech... the slide out distance is my arm to fingertip length. i stand at the power pedestal or the possible encountering object, extend my arm and if my finger tips do not hit the side of the trailer - we are good. it is always with me and has never let me down.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvinjo View Post
It amazes me to see people having such a hard time backing up. I get it, it can be stressfull and confusing

A quick tip for backing up a trailer is to take one hand (dominant) and grip the bottom center of the steering wheel: The back of the trailer will go into the direction you move YOUR HAND

Hand moves left, back of trailer goes left.........

This technique along with a b/u camera really helps get where you WANT to go

I have explained this to allot of folks, and most look at me like I have a horn growing out of my forehead: Till they try it for themselves
Exactly how semi drivers are taught to back up a trailer.

Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:18 PM   #33

I haven't heard of anyone else doing this. Even though DH is an expert at backing up trailers (he owned a landscaping business), I am the one in the driver's seat and he is the one behind giving directions/instructions. Since we started this, we haven't had any tension between us because he is essentially doing both jobs instead of me giving him directions. And we use the driver's side, passenger side rather than right or left.

Boondockers since 1982
Jodiwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:48 PM   #34

We are the exact opposite. My husband gets out and just watches to make sure I won’t hit anything. We communicate via phone if needed, to prevent shouting (which can easily be misconstrued as anger if one of us is having a bad day). But I can also back in just about anywhere without any help. We’ve met great friends before when he’s been asked to help somebody back in, and he points at me as the pro ��
velvethippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvethippie View Post
We are the exact opposite. My husband gets out and just watches to make sure I won’t hit anything. We communicate via phone if needed, to prevent shouting (which can easily be misconstrued as anger if one of us is having a bad day). But I can also back in just about anywhere without any help. We’ve met great friends before when he’s been asked to help somebody back in, and he points at me as the pro ��
Backing a trailer just comes naturally to some people and it doesn't matter if male or female. It is a really sad situation if, especially the male, cannot accept that the partner has that gift and refuses to take advantage of it.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 01:42 AM   #36
Midwest Ed

If you are fortunate enough to have a spotter...
They should never stand in a blind spot but if you can't see them then never move until you can.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvinjo View Post
It amazes me to see people having such a hard time backing up.
I think statements like this helps lead to a lot of the stress many folks feel. I’m not criticizing or taking a shot at you, truly I’m not. Because I think almost all newbies to the backing game feel that everyone in the campground is looking at them and already pros at backing their rigs etc.

The only thing more difficult than doing a difficult task is to do that difficult task under pressure. Pressure changes everything.

I’m not a truck driver and prior to owner a camper my backing experience was mostly with utility and box trailers ranging from 8’ to 16’ in length. Which all of us know can be very frustrating to back.

Little did I know that backing a 35’ rig was MUCH easier to do and get used to how to do things than dealing with a 10’ utility trailer.

Like many have already said, just take it slow, be aware of what’s around you and practice as much as you can. You will learn how to do it like a pro in no time. And feel much more comfortable as time goes along.

I’ve learned a lot and feel comfortable these days, my wife even compliments me on backing in etc but sometimes, even now, when I pull into a campground and you feel multiple sets of eyes on you it can create pressure to “do a good job” “so I don’t lose my man card”. Lol.

I try to leave people alone and I don’t sit and stare at people pulling in for that very reason. I try to let everyone just manage in their own time and own way.
masque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:34 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
.......and have the wife remain in the passenger seat,...... remaining silent. I've seen more than one running around with a GMR radio, flapping arms like a big bird trying to take off and screaming at the radio at the same time.

Bob
Mine stands directly behind the trailer communicating at quiet library levels and wonders why I just stop and no longer move. Then, she'll peak her head around the corner and look at me like I've done something wrong. 500+ times backing in and .............
Old 09-13-2022, 08:49 AM   #39

Quote:
X2!

Never refer to "left" or "right"; these are relative to a person's position and not necessarily the driver's position. Refer to the sides of the trailer as "driver" (left) and "passenger" (right).
Everybody's different. . .

I put my fiancé behind the wheel because she's a whiz at following directions and really sucks at giving them.

"Left" and "Right" refer to the direction the wheel rotates, repeat for number of turns, precede by "quarter" or "half" if less than a full turn needed.

Our backing conversation usually sounds like: "Left, left, right, half right left, stop and wait for side check, ok - back, half left, half right back, back. stop and wait, back, we're good. lemme check the level. Ok, two blocks, pull forward, easy, Good!"
Old 09-13-2022, 09:24 AM   #40

I never used the six o'clock steering wheel trick before. At this point, it's second nature, but that would have been useful when I first started backing up deuce and a halves with a water buffalo in tow with the army. First time I ever backed up a trailer was when I was 17 in the army and had no clue what I was doing with a spotter who also didn't know how to back up a trailer. Good times...

My wife and I have a good system down, and we can usually get in on the first stab depending on the site. My wife tells me which way the trailer goes, and it's always driver or passenger, not left or right, to avoid any confusion.

What I absolutely hate is when a campground worker tries to back me in. I trust my wife to do it 1000% more than the random worker that may or may not know how to back a trailer in him/herself. I always politely tell them that I'd prefer to have my wife do it, and I've only had pushback one time. It was a private campground near the Kennedy Space Center. He said it was his campground, and backed everyone in. It took about ten stabs following his directions. Red-faced and ready to fight (not really), I got out and not-so-politely told him that I was either going to do it on my own (with my wife helping) or I was leaving. Once he got out of the picture, we got it right in just where we wanted it. What putz.

Tags
trailer