Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 08:04 AM   #1

Bear Spray? So many choices.

We'll be in Grizzly country a couple times this yr. for the first time.

We'll also be remote camping, much of that time.

What I think I'd like.

2, small devices, light and easy to carry on hikes.

1, larger device, to be mounted near the camper door.

A long time ago, my Wife had to sometimes go into potentially sketchy situations and the decision was easier then. Fewer choices. A keychain sized can of MACE pepper spray, awareness and hope.

But a lot has changed in the near 30 yrs. since.

Looking at Amazon, there are pages of them, all claiming to be the best of course.

Anyone have a rec?
Old 05-11-2024, 09:47 AM   #2

The ones we carry are about 10" tall and not quite the diameter of a pop can. When we hike, every one has one.

I wouldn't bother with a key chain sized one. If it comes down to needing it, and that's all you have, all your doing is seasoning yourself.

If you've never used bear spray, watch some videos on it. Buy an extra can to test it out. You'll be surprised how short they effective distance is! I took our kids out years ago and showed them how to use it, using an expired canister. You'll also be surprised how little wind it takes to change the direction of spray.

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
Old 05-11-2024, 10:14 AM   #3
D W

If you're going into a griz area you had better do some research about grizzly bears. They are a lot different than a black bear. They are naturally aggressive. They can smell food a mile away. Camping in a known griz area is not smart unless you're knowledgeable and well equipped. As a start, make lots of noise and have a fire going with some smoke. Don't store food outside. When we go into a griz area, or any bear area we are sporting 12 ga tactical pump shotguns with slugs. Every year we have rookie hikers that get attacked, and killed by bears. Good luck!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 05-11-2024, 10:19 AM   #4

Learn the ways of bears. Learn to avoid them.
Bear spray should come in a large container and it should be hung on your belt in a holster. Practice using it a few times.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
If you're going into a griz area you had better do some research about grizzly bears. They are a lot different than a black bear. They are naturally aggressive. They can smell food a mile away. Camping in a known griz area is not smart unless you're knowledgeable and well equipped. As a start, make lots of noise and have a fire going with some smoke. Don't store food outside. When we go into a griz area, or any bear area we are sporting 12 ga tactical pump shotguns with slugs. Every year we have rookie hikers that get attacked, and killed by bears. Good luck!
That is a good choice for people comfortable with carrying weapons while RVing and hiking in Grizzly country. If you are in National Parks, I am not sure what their policy is. For everyone else, bear spray is the best choice and is the recommended method by the NPS for numerous reasons. They all recommend practicing with a can before you enter real bear territory. The last time I was at Yellowstone, the Park Service actually gave seminars on avoiding bears.

I like ppines advice, "Learn the ways of bears. Learn to avoid them." Also travel in groups. There is strength in numbers in all respects.

Human deaths caused by bears in North America link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America
Old 05-11-2024, 10:50 AM   #6

And now we know wby grizzly scat smells of pepper spray
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 05-11-2024, 11:08 AM   #7

A can of wasp/hornet spray works equally well. Has a good strong stream out to about 20 ft. Of course in my thinking, if a bear gets within 20 feet of me it is because I'm not running fast enough.

Bob
Old 05-11-2024, 11:17 AM   #8

This from the National Park Service...
Have the right bear spray. Be sure to buy EPA-approved bear spray. Itís the only kind thatís effective enough to ward off or stop an aggressive bear. Personal protection or law enforcement sprays arenít strong enough to affect the bearís senses. Many law enforcement or personal protection sprays shoot out in a narrow stream instead of a dispersed cloud, which makes it harder to hit a charging bear.

Be sure to check if your brand of bear spray is allowed in certain parks, or allowed outside of the United States if youíre travelling in a park that shares an international border. Always check park regulations before bringing or purchasing bear spray.
https://www.nps.gov/articles/bearsprayfirearms.htm
Apparently some parks have banned even possessing it in their parks.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:49 AM   #9
Scoundrel

My wife (who isn't afraid of much) would chase them off the deck while banging pots & pans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2024-05-11 at 10.45.49 AM.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	299637  

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 05-11-2024, 12:03 PM   #10

A park ranger was asked why it is so difficult to prevent problematic bear/human interactions. His response was that there was a significant overlap in the IQ of the smartest bear and the dumbest tourist
Old 05-11-2024, 01:03 PM   #11

There is only one rule that is over 99% effective...

Always bring someone you can outrun.
Old 05-11-2024, 04:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Also don't leave any thing in your car or truck like gum mints candy, they will smell it and rip the door off to get to it.
Old 05-11-2024, 04:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
A can of wasp/hornet spray works equally well. Has a good strong stream out to about 20 ft. Of course in my thinking, if a bear gets within 20 feet of me it is because I'm not running fast enough.

Bob
Completely different chemicals and all your going to do is piss off the bear and the results will not be good.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
That is a good choice for people comfortable with carrying weapons while RVing and hiking in Grizzly country. If you are in National Parks, I am not sure what their policy is.
If I am not mistaken it is still against the law to kill a bear with a firearm even if it is attacking you.
Husky CenterLine WDH
Old 05-12-2024, 06:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingDave View Post
If I am not mistaken it is still against the law to kill a bear with a firearm even if it is attacking you.

ROFLMAO, perhaps in NY, MA, or JRB Jr's America in general.

A Springfield XD-M Elite 10mm works fairly good as a deterrent BTW, and easy to carry.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagstaffBen View Post
ROFLMAO, perhaps in NY, MA, or JRB Jr's America in general.
A Springfield XD-M Elite 10mm works fairly good as a deterrent BTW, and easy to carry.
Scroll down to the Firearms Section. NPS regulation, not just certain states.
Wound someone close by, probably less of a crime.

Husky CenterLine WDH
Old 05-12-2024, 07:23 AM   #17

so a bear attacks people and they recommend please spray it...... no shooting ?

then they declare it a nuisance bear for attacking a person and they shoot it?
Old 05-12-2024, 07:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ252 View Post
We'll be in Grizzly country a couple times this yr. for the first time.

We'll also be remote camping, much of that time.

What I think I'd like.

2, small devices, light and easy to carry on hikes.

1, larger device, to be mounted near the camper door.

A long time ago, my Wife had to sometimes go into potentially sketchy situations and the decision was easier then. Fewer choices. A keychain sized can of MACE pepper spray, awareness and hope.

But a lot has changed in the near 30 yrs. since.

Looking at Amazon, there are pages of them, all claiming to be the best of course.

Anyone have a rec?
I forget what we bought but it was the same stuff the NPS rangers carried. Best to ask them since they have WAY more experience than the guy in his basement on a PC.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
so a bear attacks people and they recommend please spray it...... no shooting ?

then they declare it a nuisance bear for attacking a person and they shoot it?
Husky CenterLine WDH
Old 05-12-2024, 07:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingDave View Post
Scroll down to the Firearms Section. NPS regulation, not just certain states.
Wound someone close by, probably less of a crime.

Oh brother.........

Looks more like recommendations to me. The reg looks like it says "Federal regulations prohibit the use or discharge of any weapon within a park area."

Carry it yes, fire it no ROFLAMO...................Perhaps MR Griz will run away when you whip it out? Typical, and no get out of jail free card, do not pass go, do not collect $200.00. Well screw that, my bear spray is a hardcast load, and I hit where I aim it.

I'll leave it alone, cant even begin to discuss this foolishness without getting political. But buy an overpriced NPS T - shirt at the booth in the picture in your link, right before Mr Griz chaws on your dupa LOL.
Closed Thread