Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2021, 10:46 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to jamcoro Send a message via AIM to jamcoro Send a message via Yahoo to jamcoro Send a message via Skype™ to jamcoro
Bed Upgrade - WolfPup 16BHS

Good Evening All,

I wanted to share the most recent modification to my 16bhs. I removed the old thin rv queen mattress and replaced it will a full sized foam mattress.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The mattress lift isnt working right now because the mattress weighs 60 pounds instead of like 25 pounds. Will look for better gas struts.

As you can see, once the padded top comes off, there is a thin sheeting material, 1/16" then simple framing. Once thats out of there, i moved the plywood over a few inches to help support the new gap. Reused the old sheeting, and 2x2 material to build it up. Full sized queen mattress fits in there great, with enough room to lift the bed also.

Happy Modding Everyone. Let me know if i missed anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0694.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	250049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0695.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	250050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0696.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	250051  
jamcoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:08 AM   #2

New gas struts are available at Amazon. I got shorter ones for my overhead cabinets.
Your head board area looks quite different than mine did. My top was laminate over wood with just two supports leaving a huge storage area. Took that out after first few camps. Mattress kept dragging on that & the bed lifted crooked. I remounted my bed lift handle, first to physical center (mistake!), then to weight center for an easier bed lift.
Any pics before you removed the headboard?
12” Zinus? They wouldn’t free ship that when I got mine. I have an 8” or 10” with a 3” topper.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:44 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to jamcoro Send a message via AIM to jamcoro Send a message via Yahoo to jamcoro Send a message via Skype™ to jamcoro
Thank you, I will look for better gas struts.

Mine had sheeting over it also, along with the vinyl topped headboard. Looked just like bankers seat top. No before photo, but I am sure it would be in a stock photo.

I might change the handle as with the extra weight, it might be too much for the plastic handle.

Good idea with the gas struts for the overhead doors. Really wish the manufacturer took care of some of those small features.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamcoro View Post
I might change the handle as with the extra weight, it might be too much for the plastic handle.

Good idea with the gas struts for the overhead doors. Really wish the manufacturer took care of some of those small features.
Centering the handle on the WEIGHT you are lifting is a huge help.
Factory mattress would catch on the headboard storage & the whole bed would twist when lifting.

The way the bed framing is designed, you may not be able to add extra supports and just have to replace with stronger ones.
When mounting struts on the overhead doors, add a backing wood piece to the cabinet frame where the strut will attach. I didn’t, figuring two out of the three screw mounting points would hold adaquately. It didn’t, pulling out of the presswood frame.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:53 PM   #5

Great feedback, thank you
Old 03-16-2022, 09:40 AM   #6

I Just bought a 2022 FOREST RIVER CHEROKEE WOLF PUP 16TS.
The first thing I did was take out that goofy 7 inch shelf at the head of the bed, that I was going to bust my head on anyway.
Then a full size Queen mattress 80 X 60 inch fits in it perfectly.
It's about 10 screws to take it off. It took me 10 minutes to remove it and then I put in a full size 13in thick Sealy Perfect sleeper mattress that I bought at Costco. Now I have a full size Queen in there and it's extremely comfortable.
I'm not sure why they put those cheap/short mattresses in there.
lovinlife714 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, upgrade