Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 08:31 PM   #1

Best method to park in a driveway?

My driveway is sloped towards the street. I plan to park the new TT in my driveway for a few hours while we clean it out. Since I plan to back into the driveway (nose towards street, front will angle downwards), I'm thinking of the following:

1) Chock both tires (single axle)
2) Drop all 4 stabilizing jack with the front having more pads than the rear (lifting the front)
3) Put multiple pads on the bottom of the tongue jack (lifting the front)
4) Move the tow vehicle out of the way

Am I missing anything?
ciditad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
My driveway is sloped towards the street. I plan to park the new TT in my driveway for a few hours while we clean it out. Since I plan to back into the driveway (nose towards street, front will angle downwards), I'm thinking of the following:

2) Drop all 4 stabilizing jack with the front having more pads than the rear (lifting the front)

Am I missing anything?
Sounds good, but just adjust the tongue before the stabilizers.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:56 AM   #3
Site Team

When I park on a hill I chock the tires and put my truck in neutral and ease off the brake so it rolls against the chocks and I KNOW they are holding.
I will then put the truck back in gear and take the strain off the hitch so I can uncouple. Actually my wife puts it in gear and takes the strain off while I stand by the nose with my finger on the tongue jack button.
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:28 AM   #4
Retired Panpsychist

Since you will be parked for only a few hours, an extra measure of safety can be had by keeping the TT hitched to the TV during your clean-out. Just make sure to chock the TT's wheels and make sure the TV is off, in "Park" and the emergency brake is on.

You probably won't need the TT to be level for the clean-out, right?

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper")
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:02 AM   #5

On the topic of being level, I wouldn’t open the slide if you have one and if your fridge is gas/electric, it needs to be level to avoid a fire hazard. If it’s slightly sloped it’s probably not a big deal, but if it has a good slope to it I’d be very careful and check things out.
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:08 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
IMO, you shouldn't be lifting with the stabilizing jacks.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:00 PM   #7

Let's clarify that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolland View Post
On the topic of being level, I wouldnít open the slide if you have one and if your fridge is gas/electric, it needs to be level to avoid a fire hazard. If itís slightly sloped itís probably not a big deal, but if it has a good slope to it Iíd be very careful and check things out.
Let's clarify that. Compressor refrigerators (120 Vac residential refrigerators and the new 12 Vdc refrigerators) can operate quite a few degrees out of plumb.

Absorption refrigerators which run on propane and 12 Vdc or on 120 Vac, are sensitive and need to be within a few degrees of plumb to avoid damage but only when they are running. if the OP is cleaning out the trailer, he probably has the refrigerator off and no damage will be done.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:18 PM   #8

DO NOT use the stabilizing jacks to lift the front of the trailer. Those things will collapse if you put weight on them. Use blocks under the tongue to lift the front end.

Chocks on both sides of the tires are a must.

A lot depends on the slope of the driveway. If it's a slight incline, you might be able to get away with leaving the trailer attached to the vehicle and just chocking the tires. If its a severe slope, you might want to use bottle jacks to help support the front as well as blocks under the tongue, chocks and then detaching the tow vehicle.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Chocks on both sides of the tires are a must.
Why would you chock the uphill side of the tires? Asking for a friend.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:40 PM   #10

Quote:

Am I missing anything?
Besides getting good feedback on chocking; consider the slope of your driveway and the ground clearance on the rear of the TT. Be careful not bottom out when backing in. Good luck.
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Let's clarify that. Compressor refrigerators (120 Vac residential refrigerators and the new 12 Vdc refrigerators) can operate quite a few degrees out of plumb.

Absorption refrigerators which run on propane and 12 Vdc or on 120 Vac, are sensitive and need to be within a few degrees of plumb to avoid damage but only when they are running. if the OP is cleaning out the trailer, he probably has the refrigerator off and no damage will be done.
True, but we donít know the degree of slope. Thatís why I said what I did in my last sentence, a bit of a warning to check things out the OP may not be aware of.

For example, our Coachmen Spirit has a warning to not even put the slide out without the Stablizers being down. Iím sure someone somewhere had an issue from not doing it.
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
Why would you chock the uphill side of the tires? Asking for a friend.
Well, depending on the slope it might not be necessary, but it should help to keep it stable.

And speaking of stable, I forgot to say that putting the stabilizers down is a good idea. It'll keep the trailer from going 'tongue up' if too much weight is put in the rear.... like two people standing in the back of the trailer. Been there, done that, and it's scary. Just don't use the stabilizers to hold the weight of the trailer.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:47 AM   #13
Camping the Natural State

Quote:

Am I missing anything?
How is parking and leveling your TT in the driveway any different than doing the same when camping ?
Old 06-24-2021, 03:05 AM   #14
Fully COVID-19 vaccinated

During the summer months:

X-Chocks
Stabilizers down
plugged in
Tongue jack on blocks

Winter months

X-chocks
stabilizers up (less entry points for mice)
batteries removed and unplugged
Tongue jack on blocks
Winterized
Covered

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:03 AM   #15

My driveway is a bit sloped. If we are just tinkering in the trailer for a few hours and such. I just leave the trailer hooked up to my truck. I let the step down and adjust the feet to match the slope. No way am I unhooking, leveling etc just to clean out or tinker for a short time.

2021 Cherokee Greywolf 23MK

Equalizer 1,000lb WDH
Guspech750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolland View Post
On the topic of being level, I wouldnít open the slide if you have one and if your fridge is gas/electric, it needs to be level to avoid a fire hazard. If itís slightly sloped itís probably not a big deal, but if it has a good slope to it Iíd be very careful and check things out.
I know that off level operation can cause damage to the propane fridge, but I have never heard of it as a fire hazard. Can you explain this?
Old 06-24-2021, 01:45 PM   #17

Driveway not a steep slope but it is sloped, and really appreciate everyone's feedback.

My takeaways:
- Don't use stabilizing jacks for weight bearing, check
- Use tongue + jack pads
- Don't extend slide out without stabilizing jacks (need to extend it to do cleaning)
- Chock on both sides, front & rear of tire

Question: where are the jack points typically on a trailer?
ciditad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Gordon View Post
I know that off level operation can cause damage to the propane fridge, but I have never heard of it as a fire hazard. Can you explain this?
I think the idea (not sure if I am painting the right picture, because I'm actually just guessing) is like holding a lighter. If you hold it correctly while lit, no big deal. But if you light it, and then turn it sideways, the flame direction in relation to the lighter orientation changes and makes it more dangerous. So the orientation of the fridge (upright) is factored into the design of the exhaust, and the flame tube, and everything related to burning propane. Alter that orientation, and the flame starts to go "in the wrong direction", so to speak

Old 06-24-2021, 03:50 PM   #19

Ammonia fountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
I think the idea (not sure if I am painting the right picture, because I'm actually just guessing) is like holding a lighter. If you hold it correctly while lit, no big deal. But if you light it, and then turn it sideways, the flame direction in relation to the lighter orientation changes and makes it more dangerous. So the orientation of the fridge (upright) is factored into the design of the exhaust, and the flame tube, and everything related to burning propane. Alter that orientation, and the flame starts to go "in the wrong direction", so to speak
The basic principle of an absorption refrigerator (not a residential compression refrigerator) is described here.

Two articles on fires and absorption refrigerators:
https://www.doityourselfrv.com/wp-co...res-Part-1.pdf

https://www.doityourselfrv.com/wp-co...res-Part-2.pdf

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The basic principle of an absorption refrigerator (not a residential compression refrigerator) is described here.

Two articles on fires and absorption refrigerators:
https://www.doityourselfrv.com/wp-co...res-Part-1.pdf

https://www.doityourselfrv.com/wp-co...res-Part-2.pdf
Thanks, Larry. Interesting articles. I'm familiar with the writers, Lapina Associates. Saw them countless times in products liability lawsuits where they were experts on almost any subject and product imaginable. A very profitable business as far as I could see.
In any case, it was educational, although seemingly unrelated to proper leveling of the RV.
Again, thank you.