Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2016, 05:59 PM   #41

John,

It easy to know why KOA charges you a cancellation fee.....

they want more money and have to do nothing to get it!
santarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #42

I haven't read ALL the posts on this site. But I read many that were bashing KOA. I have to completely disagree. I am proud to say I have stayed one or more nights at over 52 different KOA's across the country and Canada. Yes, they are more expensive, but I have found consistent high quality camping experiences, friendly, accommodating workers and owners. I have had to cancel reservations at last minute when my wife broke her elbow on a trip last year. They ALL without exception waved the cancellation fee. I have had to modify stays when my vehicle broke down, they were full, and they worked everything out. I shipped supplies to them and they worked with me when I had to arrive late, well after midnight, having my supplies at my campsite. I have been a value rewards member since 2008 and I can say I PREFER to stay at KOA if possible. I have traveled extensively from California to Maine, to Canada, and I feel blessed to have stayed in the KOA's. I always believe you get what you pay for and that is definitely true in terms of KOA.
Rhoadzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #43

Limited Experience but........

We have had our camper for less than a year but have stayed at KOA Hatteras, KOA Luray, KOA Charlotte and KOA Streetsboro. I have also cancelled KOA Cape May based on reviews I after I made reservations. We have a KOA Membership and I have learned to prefer them UNLESS there is a "private" CG that looks better for our purposes. They have been friendly, very accommodating and the grounds have been excellent.

I think like anything, do your homework and don't take anything for granted.

Marty
Old 12-21-2016, 07:53 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
KOA at Rivers Edge? (Connellsville)
You sir.......win a cookie.

Not saying it's a bad place.....next to the river, but the CSX main on the other side may turn off a few people.

I live close to those tracks too. As the great philosopher Ellwood Blues once said when asked how often does a train go by. "So often you'll never even notice".
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:08 PM   #45

Beware KOA National Cancellation Policies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
We have stayed at about 75 KOA's (about 1/3rd of our total campgrounds) across the country only two didn't have pull thru sites. I always know I can get a pull through full hookup which is what we use 99 percent of the time. They are very easy to do business with online as well. If I have to pay a bit more to get what I want then it is my choice. I could care less about what others think of KOA's or any other campground. I don't read any campgrounds reviews period because I prefer to make up my own mind where I will stay, not based on others biases.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Your choice, your wallet. If you ever get out this way Michigan, try the Toledo North KOA. You might change your opinion of KOA campgrounds.

Been to a few dumpy KOA's and a few dumpy non KOA's. Like I said I have been to about 75 KOA's so it seems I have already formed an opinion. No two are the same. Many KOA's west of the big muddy are in the $35 range which is not expensive IMO for a FHU pull through site.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #46

".........Been to a few dumpy KOA's and a few dumpy non KOA's. Like I said I have been to about 75 KOA's so it seems I have already formed an opinion. No two are the same. Many KOA's west of the big muddy are in the $35 range which is not expensive IMO for a FHU pull through site......."

The one down the road from me (Toledo North KOA is 55 bucks a night plus). Nice, quiet location, about 200 feet of the e-way A Super 8 with clean sheets and a continental breakfast is 60. I'll take the Super 8. Besides, they leave the light on.....

We had some family stay there when visiting us and they wanted 15 bucks for me and the wife to drive in and see our family. I passed, called them on the phone and they pulled their 5er out and parked it in my side yard. I even shore powered it and we have a sanitary hookup in the back (so I can dump our black tank).. I let them use that.

Not saying they are all alike but the one I can compare to is the pits. Greedy pits at that.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:35 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruane View Post
Beware KOA National Cancellation Policies as they are overriden by local Franchise rules. I just had a two time experience at the Myrtle Beach KOA. The first time was OK except although the the campsite was 80% empty I was parked next to a semi derelict trailer with flat tyres. Not a welcoming sight when you look out first thing in the mornng.
The second planned visit two weeks later had to be cancelled. I looked at the National cancellation policy and it said that it had to be done in not less than two days before and that there was a $10 cancellation charge. I phoned the Myrtle beach KOA and thay said the charge was $25 and that was their policy take it or leave it. The National KOA washed their hands of it and said it was up to the local KOA Franchisee and that they did post their cancellation policy! I looked and there was a small button on the booking screen that is easily missed and when one looked the screen that comes up reiterates the National policy Web screen except they add a line at the bottom in a smaller font to say that they charge $25. Deceitful at best and anti consumer deception at worst.
I'm washing my hands of KOA. They send regular entreaties to renew their membership. I use them as they are convenient while travelling to my final destination but I find many are run down and are nearly as expensive as staying at Days Inn or Super 8 which are comfortable and take the dog.
State Parks are the best with better sites and facilities and are geared to real RV snowbirds!
One wonders what the value of KOA National Policies are as its obvious they have little control over their Franchises and their standards.
The $25 cancellation fee is typical for most of the Myrtle Beach area campgrounds. They had to do it because too many people booked numerous sites / dates then cancel at the last minute when then they firm the dates they actually want. In the summer empty sites cost the campground money....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:41 PM   #48

I see that a very small number of people have had no trouble with KOA but I see a lot of other people have had bad karma with them. I'd rather see posts that are straight forward with the experiences of camping places so we all can be aware of the policies of the places that we might stay at and make our own decisions whether to stay with them or not.

I feel learning about places I have not stayed at is important. It is NOT bashing anyone, just stating the facts.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:26 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
".........Been to a few dumpy KOA's and a few dumpy non KOA's. Like I said I have been to about 75 KOA's so it seems I have already formed an opinion. No two are the same. Many KOA's west of the big muddy are in the $35 range which is not expensive IMO for a FHU pull through site......."

The one down the road from me (Toledo North KOA is 55 bucks a night plus). Nice, quiet location, about 200 feet of the e-way A Super 8 with clean sheets and a continental breakfast is 60. I'll take the Super 8. Besides, they leave the light on.....

We had some family stay there when visiting us and they wanted 15 bucks for me and the wife to drive in and see our family. I passed, called them on the phone and they pulled their 5er out and parked it in my side yard. I even shore powered it and we have a sanitary hookup in the back (so I can dump our black tank).. I let them use that.

Not saying they are all alike but the one I can compare to is the pits. Greedy pits at that.
I'll bet they don't leave a BLACK light on for ya!

Take your own black light next time you're in the Super 8 and you won't be able to get back to that KOA in your OWN campers' bed fast enough!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:41 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by santarich View Post
I see that a very small number of people have had no trouble with KOA but I see a lot of other people have had bad karma with them. I'd rather see posts that are straight forward with the experiences of camping places so we all can be aware of the policies of the places that we might stay at and make our own decisions whether to stay with them or not.

I feel learning about places I have not stayed at is important. It is NOT bashing anyone, just stating the facts.

Best way to learn about a campground is RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks. I have found the membership reviews to be fairly accurate on that website.

As for KOA, they are like any other CG to me. You have good ones and bad ones. I have seen both. Cost is relative. I have seen cheap and expensive KOA's as well as private CG's. The Bristol KOA is very nice although they do Jack their price up for the NASCAR race weekends. I always read cancellation policies when booking anything from CG to hotel, rental car, flight etc. No 2 places have the same policy. I am sorry the OP got tripped up by this but it is your responsibility to make sure you know the policy. If you want a different place to stay in myrtle beach, check out Pirateland or ocean lakes.

Pictures from the Kingsport/Bristol TN KOA
Attached Images

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:18 AM   #51

Thanks for the info asquared. I have never heard of RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks before! I only am a less than a year RV owner so all the information I can get is very helpful.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:35 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
The Bristol KOA is very nice although they do Jack their price up for the NASCAR race weekends.
I am willing to bet the cancellation penalty for that weekend is a doosey?
100%?
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:19 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
We had a trip reserved last year with several stops all the way from KY to
San Diego. Had to cancel when wife's retirement got bumped 3 months! Each stop had a different policy but all were friendly and we only wound up
paying small charges at some of them.
These were not all KOA but just saying each site typically has their own
policy.
Sorry you had a bad experience but if you say never a KOA again you are maybe limiting yourself from an option somewhere someday...

BTW I did read the cancellation policy on each one so there were no nasty surprises.
When one reads a "National" policy one expects that it is applied uniformly. I did read that policy and had a normal understaning of what "National" means. I am sure that if it was worth getting in front of a Judge that he would agree with my viewpoint. Maybe a "National" class action is needed for KOA.
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #54

From MB KOAs web site:

CAMPGROUND NOTES
***RESERVATIONS ARE RECOMMENDED AT ALL TIMES***

***ALL CANCELLATIONS RESORT IN A $25.00 FEE***

** Check-in time 2PM Check-out time 10am for Cabins and 12pm for sites**
*****Call 800-562-7790*****

***MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS NOW AT MYRTLE BEACH'S BEST LOCATION FOR CAMPING ! for up to date availability on Kabins, Lodges, and other camp sites.

I do not know how they can be more clear.

In Myrtle Beach as I mentioned earlier the going cancellation fee is $25 required for most of the campgrounds in the Myrtle Beach area.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #55
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Let me get this straight...

The OP's post (and 6+ pages of posts afterwards whether one should ever stay at a KOA campground) is all over the difference between the $25 dollar cancellation fee MB charges (and clearly stated on their web site) and the $10 cancellation fee stated on the 'National' KOA page?

Really... $15? All this for $15?

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
From MB KOAs web site:

CAMPGROUND NOTES
***RESERVATIONS ARE RECOMMENDED AT ALL TIMES***

***ALL CANCELLATIONS RESORT IN A $25.00 FEE***

** Check-in time 2PM Check-out time 10am for Cabins and 12pm for sites**
*****Call 800-562-7790*****

***MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS NOW AT MYRTLE BEACH'S BEST LOCATION FOR CAMPING ! for up to date availability on Kabins, Lodges, and other camp sites.

I do not know how they can be more clear.

In Myrtle Beach as I mentioned earlier the going cancellation fee is $25 required for most of the campgrounds in the Myrtle Beach area.

Yes this is hidden behind at the head of the page which has a reiteration of the "National" policy which is $10. This is tagged on at the end in a smaller font and the $25 line is the last line in this iteration. Deceitful at best and decidely consumer unfriendly and all hidden behind a small button thats easily missed on the booking page.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Let me get this straight...

The OP's post (and 6+ pages of posts afterwards whether one should ever stay at a KOA campground) is all over the difference between the $25 dollar cancellation fee MB charges (and clearly stated on their web site) and the $10 cancellation fee stated on the 'National' KOA page?

Really... $15? All this for $15?

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
Its not about the money its the the level of deceit and contempt that was displayed by Myrtle Beach KOA and the lack of management by the "National" KOA organization. Im retired so I have the time to persue these issues. Never P*** off retirees, they have the time to come back and bite you.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruane View Post
Beware KOA National Cancellation Policies as they are overriden by local Franchise rules. I just had a two time experience at the Myrtle Beach KOA. The first time was OK except although the the campsite was 80% empty I was parked next to a semi derelict trailer with flat tyres. Not a welcoming sight when you look out first thing in the mornng.
The second planned visit two weeks later had to be cancelled. I looked at the National cancellation policy and it said that it had to be done in not less than two days before and that there was a $10 cancellation charge. I phoned the Myrtle beach KOA and thay said the charge was $25 and that was their policy take it or leave it. The National KOA washed their hands of it and said it was up to the local KOA Franchisee and that they did post their cancellation policy! I looked and there was a small button on the booking screen that is easily missed and when one looked the screen that comes up reiterates the National policy Web screen except they add a line at the bottom in a smaller font to say that they charge $25. Deceitful at best and anti consumer deception at worst.
I'm washing my hands of KOA. They send regular entreaties to renew their membership. I use them as they are convenient while travelling to my final destination but I find many are run down and are nearly as expensive as staying at Days Inn or Super 8 which are comfortable and take the dog.
State Parks are the best with better sites and facilities and are geared to real RV snowbirds!
One wonders what the value of KOA National Policies are as its obvious they have little control over their Franchises and their standards.
If there is a national franchise, then the rules should be the same at ALL the franchisees. I avoid KOAs as they are probably the most expensive parks around. I could probably stay at a decent hotel where I use their facilities and get breakfast to boot.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #59
(Dry Huunday)

It isn't hidden. It is listed in the "POLICIES, TERMS & CONDITIONS" and you had to click the "I agree with...." box to continue.
Unfortunately it was just a mistake of reading the "fine print".

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
It isn't hidden. It is listed in the "POLICIES, TERMS & CONDITIONS" and you had to click the "I agree with...." box to continue.
Unfortunately it was just a mistake of reading the "fine print".
Too bad one has to read the "fine print" to discover the true costs for doing business with KOA. We were surprised with unexpected additional charges at the last few KOAs we stayed at. And sure enough, the charges were detailed on their webpage, but hidden in the many pages of fine print instead of being clearly stated with the rest of the charges on the reservation costs page. That is deceitful and one of the several reasons we now avoid these parks.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote